Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Responding to A Parents Backtalk
spedmommy4 01:11 PM 12-29-2015
So I sent DCG 2 home this morning. She had one bout of up the back toxic smelling diarrhea. Her mom was off today; I didn't feel terrible about sending her home.

An hour later I get this text that says the doctor says she is fine and that she will be here tomorrow. (My policy is 24 hours and she left at 8:30ish this morning) Her text also said that "diarrhea is 3 loose stools" and she can't be leaving work after one.

Now, I actually really like this dcm, and I have kept this girl sick on more than one occasion when her job would not "let" her leave so I was actually a little ticked off to get these messages from her. Further, my policy is typically 2 or "explosive" diarrhea. I just state that diarrhea is a symptom I exclude for in my policies so that I can use my discretion. But maybe I should be more specific?

Anyway, how would you respond?
Rockgirl 01:22 PM 12-29-2015
I'd just reiterate your written policy. It cracks me up that she says diarrhea has to be 3 loose stools. I think everyone has had explosive diarrhea on the first go-round, right?
Blackcat31 01:23 PM 12-29-2015
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
So I sent DCG 2 home this morning. She had one bout of up the back toxic smelling diarrhea. Her mom was off today; I didn't feel terrible about sending her home.

An hour later I get this text that says the doctor says she is fine and that she will be here tomorrow. (My policy is 24 hours and she left at 8:30ish this morning) Her text also said that "diarrhea is 3 loose stools" and she can't be leaving work after one.

Now, I actually really like this dcm, and I have kept this girl sick on more than one occasion when her job would not "let" her leave so I was actually a little ticked off to get these messages from her. Further, my policy is typically 2 or "explosive" diarrhea. I just state that diarrhea is a symptom I exclude for in my policies so that I can use my discretion. But maybe I should be more specific?

Anyway, how would you respond?
I would reply:

"Unless the Dr is the one providing care as well as taking responsibility for the health of the other children in care, he/she is not the one to determine re-admittance to my program.

I am also fully aware of what the medical definition of diarrhea is but for MY business, MY home and MY sanitary needs, ANY BM's that are not FULLY contained in the diaper warrants being sent home.

My policies also state that a child canNOT return to care for a FULL 24 HRS so the earliest day/time care will be available to you would be Thursday.

I will email you a copy of my illness policy should you have any additional questions. Thank you for adhering to the polices of ABC Child Care."

daycare 01:40 PM 12-29-2015
I had to change my policy to read:

bowl movements that can not be detained, instead of saying the words diarrhea because I had a family that was buying cheap diapers or diapers that were too small. Then when their child had a #2 accident it was all over the place, which is still not safe.

I would send what BC said and then maybe change the wording of your contract to read what I posted.
Unregistered 02:34 PM 12-29-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I would reply:

I am also fully aware of what the medical definition of diarrhea is but for MY business, MY home and MY sanitary needs "
Yes!!
This is your business, your rules. I send home after 1.
spedmommy4 02:44 PM 12-29-2015
Lol! The first thought that popped into my head was, "I know what the medical definition is. I just don't get paid enough to clean and sanitize explosive diarrhea."
Tags:back talk, sick policy
Reply Up