Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Did You Send Out a Letter?
CountryRoads 01:43 PM 03-18-2020
Just curious how you all are handling this craziness.

We have no confirmed cases in our county. I think 15 in the state. Schools have closed for 3 weeks, restaurants have closed dining rooms. Businesses have closed their doors to walk-in traffic. I am the only daycare open in my town.

I've had parents ask me if I'm closing, but other than that there hasn't been much communication about it. I have 1 family keeping their child home, all of my other families still have to work, so their kids are here everyday. I plan to stay open unless I'm forced to close or if someone in my family/daycare gets the virus.

If a child meets the criteria for being in care, then I allow them to stay. I haven't changed my illness policy due to the virus.

I'm just worried that I'm under reacting and wondering if I should send out a letter? Just not sure what I should put in it. I know no one usually reads those things anyway
Blackcat31 02:11 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
Just curious how you all are handling this craziness.

We have no confirmed cases in our county. I think 15 in the state. Schools have closed for 3 weeks, restaurants have closed dining rooms. Businesses have closed their doors to walk-in traffic. I am the only daycare open in my town.

I've had parents ask me if I'm closing, but other than that there hasn't been much communication about it. I have 1 family keeping their child home, all of my other families still have to work, so their kids are here everyday. I plan to stay open unless I'm forced to close or if someone in my family/daycare gets the virus.

If a child meets the criteria for being in care, then I allow them to stay. I haven't changed my illness policy due to the virus.

I'm just worried that I'm under reacting and wondering if I should send out a letter? Just not sure what I should put in it. I know no one usually reads those things anyway
I too am staying open.

I will PM you the info pack I sent out to parents. You are welcome to use any or all of what I sent.
Cat Herder 02:13 PM 03-18-2020
I am not going to send out a letter. I wait for them to ask face to face, now. I talk just long enough to see the light come on.

We have a little over 150 confirmed cases, 3 deaths. All restaurants dining rooms, malls, movie theatres, bars, gyms, and clothing stores are closed. More closures are coming.
CountryRoads 02:16 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I too am staying open.

I will PM you the info pack I sent out to parents. You are welcome to use any or all of what I sent.
Thank you!!
CountryRoads 02:17 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I am not going to send out a letter. I wait for them to ask face to face, now. I talk just long enough to see the light come on.

We have a little over 150 confirmed cases, 3 deaths. All restaurants dining rooms, malls, movie theatres, bars, gyms, and clothing stores are closed. More closures are coming.
Are you stricter on your illness policy or have you kept your policies the same?
Blackcat31 02:21 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

All of those things are closed here as well and the nearest case to me that we have in our state is 3 hours south.

I didn't change my illness policy though....I've always been super strict about it so nothing new there.

The only resistance I've had are parents that feel they are free to do anything but parent if they aren't working.
Had one go home today after work so she could work out via face time with friends she usually goes to the gym with.

She was warned... services are limited to work hours ONLY right now and violations are subject to immediate termination of services. My husband is HIGH risk and the less stressed I am the longer I will remain healthy and able to continue providing services so that is the only change I've made that is a bit different from normal.
Cat Herder 02:37 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
Are you stricter on your illness policy or have you kept your policies the same?
Everything is the same. I just minimized toys, put away the wooden ones and am back to rotating daily instead of weekly. I have always done drop-off and pick-up outside. I have always done the health screen on the porch. I shop monthly, so had just restocked all my cleaning supplies, paper products and wipes on the 1st.

I really have not changed anything, except for getting rid of some of the things QRIS made me do like soft seating, pillows, stuffies and all toys being out most of the day. I put them out, then take them back up after each free play period for cleaning like I used to.

They play so much better that way, too.
Msdunny 04:01 PM 03-18-2020
I sent the following, and all my parents took me up on Option 1, except for one family who is keeping their child home but who told me they wanted to still pay full tuition.

"I am writing to address the current Coronavirus (Covid-19) concerns. I have been watching and reading the news, researching best practices, and Courtney, Jeff, and I have been discussing how to proceed.

Governor McCrory has asked that people self-quarantine as much as possible. This isn’t because most people will suffer from this illness, but because you can be a carrier without ever knowing it and could possibly pass it on to someone who can’t fight the virus off. Jayce’s mommy (Alex) said it best in a Facebook post - “While God has not given us a spirit of fear, he has called us to love our neighbors and to contribute to the welfare of our community. Exercising caution is not merely wise but is a tangible way of expressing love toward others.”

With that said, we are going to be offering 2 options in the weeks going forward.

Option 1: You can keep your child home with you and will be only charged ½ rate for the weeks we miss. This would be effective beginning Monday, March 16th and will extend through Friday, March 27th, unless further time is necessary. If you pay monthly, your next monthly invoice will reflect the discount. (Over 2 weeks' time, this gives you one week free.)

Option 2: Your child can continue to attend preschool for the full rate. IF we are REQUIRED to close for any reason, full rate will still be required. Any kids who are sick are to be kept at home during this time, and you will be contacted for pick up if I notice any symptoms in your child that line up with the virus in question.

Of course, if the child or any family member is knowingly exposed to or tests positive for Coronavirus, a 15-day exclusion will immediately be put into effect.

I am offering this out of an abundance of caution – I have no fear of this virus for myself. That said, my father just came home from the hospital last Friday and I cannot in good conscience expose him or any other person with a weakened immune system to something that could be dangerous for them. If we all work together for just a few weeks, this will be the thing we laugh about in a few months.

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is characterized by mild symptoms including a runny nose, sore throat, cough, and fever. Illness can be more severe for some people and can lead to pneumonia or breathing difficulties.

More rarely, the disease can be fatal. Older people, and people with other medical conditions (such as asthma, diabetes, or heart disease), may be more vulnerable to becoming severely ill.

People may experience:
runny nose
sore throat
cough
fever
difficulty breathing (severe cases)"
NiNi.R. 05:49 AM 03-24-2020
I too am staying open.

Can you send me that info packet as well?
Sophia- 03:19 PM 03-25-2020
I too am staying open.

Hi,

Do you mind to send me you info packet please please
Tags:contagious diseases - covid-19, coronavirus, coronavirus - symptoms, covid-19, illness policy, illness policy - coronavirus, managing coronavirus in daycare
Reply Up