Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Policy
Firefly 08:22 AM 06-19-2020
I知 working on my new corona virus policy and I知 a little stuck on the illness part. I prefer to exclude for any symptoms at all but not sure how to handle payment. If the child has a runny/stuffy nose this could go on for a while. I currently charge for any days absent but in this case what would you do? And I知 sure I知 going to get the allergy excuse so what would you say to that?
Cat Herder 10:15 AM 06-19-2020
The truth is that it is more likely to be allergies or the common cold than COVID-19.

You make your policies as you choose and they decide whether or not to stay with you.

When you change policies they do not have to pay the two week notice period unless they agree to your changes, with a signature, then give notice. They have the right to end the contract right then and there as the contract becomes invalid. Small claims court will find in their favor for that.

I would not change your contract too often. Your program, your rules but you are not free from the consequences of such. Make sure it is worth the risk to you.
e.j. 04:53 PM 06-19-2020
Originally Posted by Firefly:
I知 working on my new corona virus policy and I知 a little stuck on the illness part. I prefer to exclude for any symptoms at all but not sure how to handle payment. If the child has a runny/stuffy nose this could go on for a while. I currently charge for any days absent but in this case what would you do? And I知 sure I知 going to get the allergy excuse so what would you say to that?
EEC here says, "If symptoms are observed, the child may not attend child care and must return home immediately." so I've been wondering the same thing. Maybe ask the parents to get a doctor's note stating the kid doesn't have COVID-19 and isn't contagious or if they truly believe the child has allergies, have the doctor confirm that and give you a copy of an action plan that outlines what steps you need to take, if any, if the kid has an allergic reaction to an allergen? I'm not sure; I'll also be interested in seeing what others suggest.
Valerie928 03:22 PM 06-22-2020
I exclude for all the things right now during this pandemic. Ironically, because here in NY masks are required and many social distancing mandates are in place, no school for months ect. My dck have been illness free. So, I have not had to exclude or send away. BUT, if any of them do try to come here with anything they will need a doctor note to return or to just stay home until 100%
Tags:illness policy - coronavirus, risk management, updating contract
Reply Up