Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do Any Of You Have 8 (Plus) Kids By Yourself?
newtodaycare22 11:32 AM 08-29-2011
If you do...bless you.

I'm licensed for 8 but I only take 6. Today, schools are closed from hurricane/power outages so I have some extra little ones, totaling 8. I'm exhausted
Crazy8 11:36 AM 08-29-2011
only when my own kids are home.... I am licensed for 5, plus I have 3 of my own. my 2 olders have been in school a few years now but on days off I end up with 8+ kids in the house. I could never handle 8 on a regular basis!!!
laundrymom 11:41 AM 08-29-2011
I have 10. Plus my 10,13, &20 yr old
nannyde 11:48 AM 08-29-2011
I am allowed to have eight by myself with no more than three being under 18 months. My own child does not count in these numbers.

I wouldn't want to do that every day. It's great money but it's a hard job. I can't imagine having ten by myself.
Meeko 11:51 AM 08-29-2011
I can have 6 by myself with no more than 3 under 3yrs.
I can have 8 by myself with no more than 2 under 2yrs.
I can have 16 with a helper and no more than 4 under 2yrs.

We are at 16 with 4 babies most of the time.
Blackcat31 11:53 AM 08-29-2011
I have 11 full timers during the school year and 12 during the summer. BY.MYSELF.

My kids range from age 12 months to 5 years old.

It is a hard job, but consistancy and routine play a huge role in the day as well as having no tolerance for any type of aggression, violence or rule "bending".

Once everyone is on the same page, our day runs like clockwork and everyone has fun! most my kids stay with me for about 4-6 years and I try to integrate only one new kid into the group at a time. (with atleast a 6 month spread between newbies.)
AnneCordelia 11:53 AM 08-29-2011
When my own kids are home I have 8. I have 4 dck and 4 children of my own. When my older two children start school next week I will only have 6 children at any one time (2 dck get picked up right after school). I have 3 12mo dcks and 1 3yo dck. I have a 11mo, 3yo, 6yo and 8yo of my own.

It's a lot of work but I find that 2dck are just as much work as 4dck...so I might as well make the $$$. I could have up to 5dck without limits to their ages but realy like my group with 4. That might change in the future and if the right child comes along I'll fill my last spot.
MsMe 11:59 AM 08-29-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
I can have 6 by myself with no more than 3 under 3yrs.
I can have 8 by myself with no more than 2 under 2yrs.
I can have 16 with a helper and no more than 4 under 2yrs.

We are at 16 with 4 babies most of the time.
Ditto*. Most of the time when there are only 8 we have only one provider. It feels like a break

*I keep only 2 under 24 mo at any one time. Right now it is 4mo and 13mo.
cheerfuldom 12:03 PM 08-29-2011
The most I ever have here is 7. The days with 5 are super easy, 6 is doable, 7 and I am completely busy every second. I don't personally feel comfortable with 8. When I have 7, 4 are under 13 months (includes my baby) so it is busy, busy ALL day.
VTMom 02:36 PM 08-29-2011
During the summer I have 8 kids including my own 2. It's certainly a different pace then my lower volume school time! I have 4 school age kids that come just for the summer. It's a nice switch and it's nice for the kids to have different kids to play with, but I definitely look forward to school starting again towards summers end! Within this summer crew, I have just 1 in diapers (2 yr old). It would be a lot harder with a child younger than that!
irishdancer 05:18 AM 08-30-2011
Wow we are only licensed for 6 including our own kids(up to age 13). So the maximum I ever have is 6 and I feel exhausted couldn't imagine 8 or 10 by myself. Our county as of right now does not allow large family daycares but I wish they would. Would love to have more kids and pay a helper.
DCMom 06:03 AM 08-30-2011
I have 14 each day; 10 by myself for the bulk of the day with my assistant here after school and school off days.

I have 3 under two; 7 preschool (2-4 years old) and 4 school aged.

Organization and routine is the key to success in my opinion
momofsix 06:11 AM 08-30-2011
Only allowed 6 in MI. I wish we had some of your capacity limits, I could make a bunch more money!!!
Country Kids 06:30 AM 08-30-2011
I have 6 all day by myself but have 4 more before and afterschool.

Our ratio's our 10=6 preschoolers-2 may be under 2
the rest may be school age

You can have more school age but less preschool or make sure that you have staggered times.

What is funny is some of you said you wish you could have more to make more money. Reading some of your posts with the ones you have you probably make the same or more than I do. Daycare rates compared to even places in my own state are very, very low in the area I live. I couldn't even afford to hire an assistant with what I make. Plus I think another adult would be in the way with only have 6 little ones to work with. I have four of my own so its just like dealing with my own family plus two. If I had 6 of my own I wouldn't have hired an assistant.
JaydensMommy 07:25 AM 08-30-2011
I can have up to eight with two being school age. I have eight children enrolled but I usually have seven children here at once because two of them share a spot. I am in the process of getting licensed for 14 children and hiring my mom as my assistant. I can't wait to have another adult around and have help.
mismatchedsocks 07:58 AM 08-30-2011
I can only have 8 on my own but they all have to be over 2. I used to have that until there was a baby boom. Now I have 8 kids ages birth to age 12. BUT i have an assistant. My own kids dont count anymore since they are over age 7. We have such a system here and a schedule that it runs pretty smooth. I think we as a team could handle more kids, but our state does not allow a large family group with assistant.

Its weird how different states have such different ratios. What makes someone in ( lets say) ohio able to handle 12 on her own all ages but me only 8 over age of 2. ?? Wonders of the laws.
MommyMuffin 09:23 AM 08-30-2011
I do not have 8 children but today I have 7 kids 2 months - 3 years old and I am working my butt off.
2 infants, 1 toddler, 2 two year olds, 2 three year olds,
This is my first year and I decided that in the future I will only take 12 months and up unless its a infant of a sibling in care.
MarinaVanessa 09:44 AM 08-30-2011
My license is for 8 children. I can keep 8 if no more than 2 of them are under 24 months and if 2 of them are school-agers otherwise I can keep 6 if no more than 3 of them are under 24 months. A provider's own children count here if they are under 10 so when both my of my kids are jere they count since my DS is 9 months and my DD is 6 years.

I'm not usually at max capacity (8) because I choose it that way. I usually keep it to only 3 full and part-time daycare children plus my two (my dd is usually at school) but they are scheduled at different times so it's nice.

Lately however I've started to accept as many drop-ins as I could until being at max cap so instead of being at 6 (sometimes 8) 2 to 3 days a week I'm trying to stay at 6 all week plus my DD after-school. It hasn't been too bad actually. I think I've found my groove and the kids seem to mind me well (even the 2yo's). I've had a couple of days where I had 8 for an entire week and that went pretty well. I was deffinetely more tired that week than any other but I think because of the SA's. The two band together and think that they can boss the kids around and ask me if they can have or do a million-three hundred thousand- five hundred and seventy two things that they know they can't have or do during DC (my two SA's are my DD and my nephew).
boysx5 10:53 AM 08-31-2011
for the first time in a long time I had 7 this summer and I must say there were nites I was in bed at eight its very hard work. Glad to be back to only six and not everyday
Tags:ratio - large group
Reply Up