Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Memorial Day Revenge
Michelle 06:59 AM 05-30-2012
Well my Memorial day was wonderful!
But last Friday I went a few rounds with a dcm about my day off and she got really mad at me . She had to work on Memorial Day and she has no backups and ended up having to stay home with her own kids on Monday.
So, yesterday her 9 year old son treated me like crap, caused problems with the other kids, and then while walking down the hallway, stuck his hand out and "accidentally" knocked my daughters girl scout picture off the wall sending glass shattering on me. The reason why I know he did it on purpose was because he didn't seem shocked or apologetic he just kept walking!
I have a little bit of glass shards still in my hand.
This really makes me so mad. I had to work all weekend and this was my first day off in over a month but boy did I pay for it.
Terming him is not an option and mom would just blame me if I told her what happened.
I just was wondering if anyone knows how to get this glass out of my hand.
Soak in hot water? cold water? I don't have health coverage, so any advise would help.
familyschoolcare 07:05 AM 05-30-2012
Originally Posted by Michelle:
But last Friday I went a few rounds with a dcm about my day off and she got really mad at me . She had to work on Memorial Day and she has no backups and ended up having to stay home with her own kids on Monday.
So, yesterday her 9 year old son treated me like crap, caused problems with the other kids, and then while walking down the hallway, stuck his hand out and "accidentally" knocked my daughters girl scout picture off the wall sending glass shattering on me. The reason why I know he did it on purpose was because he didn't seem shocked or apologetic he just kept walking!
This really makes me so mad. I had to work all weekend and this was my first day off in over a month but boy did I pay for it.
Terming him is not an option and mom would just blame me if I told her what happened.
Soak in hot water? cold water? I don't have health coverage, so any advise would help.
Soak in warm watter. Put a little hydrogen peroxide (not sure if speelied that right) in the watter to help prevent infection. If is still feels like there is in your hand after a good soak you need to go see a doctor so they can "dig" it out. Sorry you are dealing with this sounds no fun.
MrsB 08:09 AM 05-30-2012
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
Soak in warm watter. Put a little hydrogen peroxide (not sure if speelied that right) in the watter to help prevent infection. If is still feels like there is in your hand after a good soak you need to go see a doctor so they can "dig" it out. Sorry you are dealing with this sounds no fun.
Just for you info. Hydrogen Peroxide is not recommended on cuts or wounds any longer. It kills the good cells too, that fight off infection and promote healing. Notice how when you go to the doctor they never clean it with hydrogen proxide. Besides, it hurts!
Heidi 08:21 AM 05-30-2012
NO HYDROGEN PEROXIDE!!!

I hope you are documenting this incident, and you absolutely need to tell mom! He is NINE! What kind of monster will he be if he gets away with this kind of thing???
AfterSchoolMom 08:46 AM 05-30-2012
I agree with Heidi - whether or not Mom blames you, she should be made aware, and possibly even billed for the cost of a replacement frame. That kind of behavior is absolutely unacceptable.

I second the duct tape idea. If that doesn't work, maybe a sterilized needle?
Michelle 08:46 AM 05-30-2012
ok, no peroxide, warm water and I am going to tell mom.
I am just trying to figure out a way to word it so that he doesn't pull the victim card and start crying like it was my fault.
I know that sounds ridiculous but he is very smart and mom is really mad at me.

and I am going to do the tape, I have already done the water and it still stings.
Willow 09:12 AM 05-30-2012
How could he play the victim card if he was the one that did it?!

And who cares if she's mad at you! That's not your problem!

Not to mention if she doesn't believe or trust you...I'm so sorry that you feel you have to continue care for a family that lashes out at you, no one deserves that
Heidi 09:17 AM 05-30-2012
ok, no peroxide, warm water and I am going to tell mom.
I am just trying to figure out a way to word it so that he doesn't pull the victim card and start crying like it was my fault.
I know that sounds ridiculous but he is very smart and mom is really mad at me.

and I am going to do the tape, I have already done the water and it still stings.
Ask her to call you after the kids are in bed.

DCM-I know we're having a bit of trouble communicating the last few days. Gosh, we've always had such a great relationship, and I'd like to get us back on track, because I'm worried about how it's affecting dcb. Here is what happened on Tuesday.....

Do you think he sensed that we are a bit out of sorts, and that made him upset?

How do you think we should handle the situation? I mean, I'm not seriously hurt, but I know neither of us wants to give him the idea that this was ok!

Ok...so put that in your own words..but you get the idea. "Yeah, you're mad, but let's move on and help dcb...."

If terminating is not an option, then you have to play nice, even if you don't totally feel it completely. Maybe it's not so bad to be forced to be the "big guy" here, though?
Unregistered 07:13 AM 05-30-2012
Try putting a piece of duct tape over it and pulling it out.. (like waxing your legs.)
My3cents 10:37 AM 05-31-2012
I am going to address the fact that the mom was upset that you took off a Holiday- For Real? At this point, I would not engage in conversation about it- it is in your policy,rule,handbook and contract- refer to that and nothing more. Back up care should be in place by the parent.

Above irritates me

The issue with the boy- don't hold back telling the mother what he did. I wouldn't sugar coat it either. Today so and so did........... then I would ask What do you think should be done about this.....and at age nine the child would be in on this conversation. I would also hand out some form of punishment at care for this- it would have took effect immediately after dealing with the situation of cleaning the mess up and tending to the wound. You were right behind him, you saw with your own eyes what this child did. No room for negotiation on what happened in his eyes.

I know it is good money- but at some point enough is enough. I am not a quick termer either. I believe in working and working with people but if it comes down to money or my sanity- my sanity is going to win every time. Money comes and goes, with this business. Esp for parents that don't respect you.

best-

Willow 11:10 AM 05-31-2012
A kiddo displaying a complete lack of empathy is a giant liability.

I understand you care about him, but it sounds like he needs far more intensive management than can be offered in a home setting.

I'm not kidding around here. He could really hurt you or another child in your care. Between him manipulating the heck out of you and mom (as he's obviously very successfully doing) and this latest display I'd be terrified you are dealing with a young sociopath in the making.

He'd be gone today if it were one of my kiddos. I'd be keeping fingers crossed would be enough to shock mom into reality that how he's behaving is frighteningly abnormal.
Reply Up