Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Excited, Worried. New Client Tell Me I'm Not Crazy
Unregistered 08:44 AM 11-21-2011
I am a regular, but logged out.

I just landed 3 new families, that will all start next month.

One of the families referred the other two families. All will be full time.

So this weekend, I learned that family 1 (the one that referred the others) the mom works for my county licensing and works directly under my licencor.

Since learning this about family 1, I am feeling really apprehensive. Not because I have anything to hide, but because I am worried that the mom will go into work and vent to my Licencor if she ends up not liking something about my program. Next thing you know I am getting visits non-stop. I have never had any violations or anything bad happen ever, I just can't help feel worried.

I am excited that I impressed the mom so much that she brought me more business and am excited about filling all of my spots. BUT I can't help but be nervous.

Any words of advice?
Heidi 08:53 AM 11-21-2011
I would def. have a heart to heart talk with mom. Be honest with her and share yor concern. Just so you are both on the same page, if she EVER has a problem or concern, she should please come to you first.

You know things will come up, but you are a little concerned because everyone sometimes needs to vent. It would be nice if she doesn't choose her boss to vent to! IF you don't like something, talk to me (you), and we will come up with a solution!
mac60 08:57 AM 11-21-2011
I would pry tell her that it isn't going to work out and make us some excuse. I would not want to have someone from licensing in my home 2 times per day. Nothing to hide here either, but this job is stressful enough with out that added stress. All it takes is one little issue, and that is it. I was in a similar situation recently, and cancelled the interview. From now on when people call and want to set up an interview, I am going to get "where they work" information right away to alleviate the issue in the future.

The person I cancelled the interview with worked for children services and had all available services within her own office, meaning names of licensed providers in our county (we don't have to be licensed here), yet she told me she didn't know of any providers and got my name from a past family. My guess, she knew licensed providers but for whatever reason didn't want to use their services....kind of fishy to me.
Unregistered 09:45 AM 11-21-2011
I don't think that getting out of it was what I am looking to do, plus if I tell this family I can't work for them, I am sure the other two will follow. I don't mind that I will offer my services to someone who is in Licensing. I am just nervous and wanted some advice on how to deal with the mom.

Has anyone ever worked for a family that worked for licensing?
wdmmom 10:38 AM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I don't think that getting out of it was what I am looking to do, plus if I tell this family I can't work for them, I am sure the other two will follow. I don't mind that I will offer my services to someone who is in Licensing. I am just nervous and wanted some advice on how to deal with the mom.

Has anyone ever worked for a family that worked for licensing?
Don't let her beyond your front door. I don't let any of my families beyond my foyer. No staying and hanging out, no chit chatting, no taking your shoes off and kicking back for awhile.

I really don't see you having to worry about anything if you are complying with regulations.

I would however be concerned with licensing showing up if they terminate services.

One thing I've come to realize: You can do your darnest to please every one of your families but it'll never happen. There's always going to be that bad apple that isn't completely happy (whether it be your rates or your rules or something). Just be prepared if your relationship goes down ugly that it will get even uglier.
cheerfuldom 11:00 AM 11-21-2011
I'd be more nervous about any one of the families getting upset and taking all the others with them than about licensing.....do NOT bend any rule for any one of them because more than likely, they will compare notes amongst themselves and try and get that too. It's almost like having a lot of kids from one family in your care....sometimes they will take advantage of the fact that they have a large portion of your income in their control.
nannyde 12:13 PM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I'd be more nervous about any one of the families getting upset and taking all the others with them than about licensing.....do NOT bend any rule for any one of them because more than likely, they will compare notes amongst themselves and try and get that too. It's almost like having a lot of kids from one family in your care....sometimes they will take advantage of the fact that they have a large portion of your income in their control.
Yup

Pretty much a double whammy... the parent is over you with your license and they have a connection with two other families.

It's good when it's good.

Not so good when it isn't.

VERY risky. All of the three families will be there with an umbrella of protection that the license worker mom brings. It could make it difficult to inforce policies and keep them all happy.

Keep arrivals and departures BREIF.

NEVER discuss EVER the other families with each other.

DO NOT allow them to visit each others kids.

Be really careful with behavior or sick info.

Never allow any one of them to speak as a group concern to you.

Don't allow them to be each others back up or pick each others kids up.

Don not host their playdates with each other or their birthday/special parties with each other.

Don't allow them to come up with special activities you can do with their kids as a group.

Don't pass invites back and forth... nothing back and forth between the families.

Be prepared to have problems with all if one has a problem and be prepared to loose them all if one of the parents or kids has behavior issues.
MyAngels 12:36 PM 11-21-2011
I guess it depends on how your licensing agency is as to how I would deal with them. I've had several licensing reps over the years and all but one have been easy to work with, more about just trying to keep their daycare homes in compliance rather than trying to "catch" them doing something wrong.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, maybe just have a chat with the mom if you feel comfortable doing that. She knows as well as anyone how difficult it is to find good child care, so I would be flattered that she chose me and also felt comfortable enough to refer you to other people.
CountryMommy 12:50 PM 11-21-2011
The owner of my dayhome agency has her children enrolled in my dayhome. At first I was pretty nervous because this meant that licensing would be able to see everything in my home every day the kids were here. Not only that, but whatever happened at my home, the children could talk about it. I don't have anything to hide, but I was nervous about it as we all know things children say can easily be misinterpreted. And there's always the chance of me not having everything done according to licensing.

I agree that it is a risk. It could go south really fast. But for me, it's been working very well. These children have been with me for 4 months and everything has gone very smoothly. If the mom does see something that I need to change or if there's a new licensing rule, she'll let me know in a friendly and polite way. I'll get it done as soon as I can, and everyone's happy. I've had zero issues with having this family.

So even though it could be bad, it doesn't necessarily have to be and it hasn't been for me.
Crystal 01:05 PM 11-21-2011
I would not worry abut it. If you follow regs, you should be fine. Obviously she thinks very highly of you and feels you are an excellent provider or she would not have referred others already.

Good luck
Michelle 01:09 PM 11-21-2011
I had a parent that was a social worker...
She loved me and I loved her and her son.
I got to ask a lot of hypothetical advise (nothing serious) and she got to have her son loved and cared for..
It was a little nerve racking at first but they are just regular people and as long as you are doing what you are suppose to everything should be fine.

I also have a parent that's a psychologist and I used to think he was going to "shrink me"
But he is so cool and funny and even ask's me for parenting advise.
Just remember, they are just regular people with a job in an agency and the more calm, relaxed and professional you are ,the more they will respect you.

They will be very suspicious if you drop them so go for it and show them how awesome you are!!!
Crystal 01:12 PM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Yup

VERY risky. All of the three families will be there with an umbrella of protection that the license worker mom brings. It could make it difficult to inforce policies and keep them all happy. How would it be difficult to enforce policies? Treat them as any other parent.

NEVER discuss EVER the other families with each other. As should be with ALL families

DO NOT allow them to visit each others kids. How on earth can she enforce that? THAT is not her business, and clearly these people are friends or they would not have been referred. I think what you suggest here is impossible.

Be really careful with behavior or sick info. Again, as with ALL families

Never allow any one of them to speak as a group concern to you. I agree

Don't allow them to be each others back up or pick each others kids up.
Another one I do not see how you can enforce. If they are listed as alternate pick up, it's not up to the provider to say they cannot do so

Do not host their playdates with each other or their birthday/special parties with each other. Again, as should be with ALL families

Don't allow them to come up with special activities you can do with their kids as a group.

Don't pass invites back and forth... nothing back and forth between the families.yes, considering they know each other they should be able to do this outside of daycare

Be prepared to have problems with all if one has a problem and be prepared to loose them all if one of the parents or kids has behavior issues.THIS is probably the biggest risk.
Nanny.....sometimes I wonder where you come up with some of your ideas and opinions??????
Meeko 01:13 PM 11-21-2011
I think my concern would be her trying to push "special". Hoping you'll cave because you don't want to make waves with licensing. Not sure I'd want to always want to be on alert for that.

It's kind of a non-verbal blackmail...."Be extra accomodating, or it could go badly at your next review" type of thing.
Blackcat31 01:14 PM 11-21-2011
A couple years after I first opened I had my licensor's children in care.

Everything went really smooth. I never had an issue with her or vice versa.

She did end up giving her two week notice about two years in.......because she had difficulty seeing other clients I had that she was currently "seeing" (aka: investigating) as part of her job. (Back then my licensor was also the in-take coordinator for child protective services).

This was also way back when I was a newbie and took any family interested in being here.

I currently have the head of our Human Services Dept.'s child, 2 State Trooper's children, 1 city policeman's child, 2 kids who's parents work in the probation dept and a county jailer's kids in care. :-)
Country Kids 01:16 PM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Nanny.....sometimes I wonder where you come up with some of your ideas and opinions??????
Thank you for bolding my answers Crystal, I'm glad someone did that for me! Actually I was thinking the same things but you responded before me with the same things I was thinking.
Unregistered 01:40 PM 11-21-2011
thank you for all of the advise.

I do feel flattered that she thinks so highly of me, but with her going into my program with such high expectations, I don't want her to feel let down if I can't live up to her expectations and standards.

As for Nan, I love her train of thought, she reminds me of my father. Plan for the worst, but expect the best.

I will keep this in mind Nan, I know you mean well and are looking out for my own good.

I am going to talk with the mom and just let her know how I feel, I am sure she is expecting me to feel this way.

I know it will all work out in the end. I do have a great place to offer and I don't have anything to hide, so no reason why it would not work.

Thanks again
nannyde 02:08 PM 11-21-2011
LOTS of years of service and LOTS of provider counselling. I've seen many providers whole business come crashing down over "friends". Not saying it can't work but it IS risky.

Crystal:
How on earth can she enforce that? THAT is not her business, and clearly these people are friends or they would not have been referred. I think what you suggest here is impossible.

Not host it at YOUR house. They can visit each other all they want OUTSIDE the day care but having friends within the child care can mean requests to visit the other friends kids at arrival and departure.

As far as sick info... it IS different with friends because illness is usually progressional and what they are very willing to tell each other at one stage of illness may elicit questions at the next level of illness.

When their kid is attending a birthday party where one of the other kids pukes in the middle of the party... they are going to ASK if that kid is in day care the next day. They may be privy to each others kids health status long before you are.

The picking each others kids up... of course you have a say about that. If you have a policy that you don't allow other day care parents to pick up your day care kids they either agree or they don't sign up.
nannyde 02:17 PM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
As for Nan, I love her train of thought, she reminds me of my father. Plan for the worst, but expect the best.

I will keep this in mind Nan, I know you mean well and are looking out for my own good.
I do have your best interest in mind.

Just put my thoughts in the back of your head and then make your OWN decision of what works best for YOU and your family.

Forewarned is forearmed
Crystal 02:25 PM 11-21-2011
LOTS of years of service and LOTS of provider counselling. I've seen many providers whole business come crashing down over "friends". Not saying it can't work but it IS risky.

Crystal:
How on earth can she enforce that? THAT is not her business, and clearly these people are friends or they would not have been referred. I think what you suggest here is impossible.

Not host it at YOUR house. They can visit each other all they want OUTSIDE the day care but having friends within the child care can mean requests to visit the other friends kids at arrival and departure. If they attend daycare together, they WILL be be visiting each other at daycare? I guess I don't understand what you are saying here?

As far as sick info... it IS different with friends because illness is usually progressional and what they are very willing to tell each other at one stage of illness may elicit questions at the next level of illness.

When their kid is attending a birthday party where one of the other kids pukes in the middle of the party... they are going to ASK if that kid is in day care the next day. They may be privy to each others kids health status long before you are. I agree about not sharing sick info.

The picking each others kids up... of course you have a say about that. If you have a policy that you don't allow other day care parents to pick up your day care kids they either agree or they don't sign up.No, actually I think that could be illegal. A parent has the right to say who can and cannot pick up their child, daycare parent or not. IDK, just seems odd to me that it would even matter?
I guess I just don't understand what you are saying?
nannyde 02:43 PM 11-21-2011
I guess I just don't understand what you are saying?
Anytime you add the layer of another daycare parent into the compliance of a day care parent you run the risk of magnifying the noncompliance into two... or in this case three families.

The most common areas of noncompliance are illness, time, and payment.

If the picking up parent is late is she responsible for the late fee for the other child too?

If the picking up parents kid gets sick during the day do you release the other child into her care because the Mom has given you permission to have the other parent pick up? If she picks up her child but not the other is SHE responsible to pick up on time as scheduled? Are you responsible to notify the other parent that the child is being picked up and going home with a kid that just puked and has a fever of 103?

We just had a poster say a parent didn't return calls and picked their kid up a couple of HOURS after the kid was found sick. What if that parent was supposed to pick up another day care kid? Is it okay if the kid leaves early? What if you can't get ahold of parent one to ask? Is parent two going to be pissed because you didn't release the child early?

When you start intertwining parents into each others compliance it is RISKY.
Crystal 03:18 PM 11-21-2011
Anytime you add the layer of another daycare parent into the compliance of a day care parent you run the risk of magnifying the noncompliance into two... or in this case three families.

The most common areas of noncompliance are illness, time, and payment.

If the picking up parent is late is she responsible for the late fee for the other child too?

If the picking up parents kid gets sick during the day do you release the other child into her care because the Mom has given you permission to have the other parent pick up? If she picks up her child but not the other is SHE responsible to pick up on time as scheduled? Are you responsible to notify the other parent that the child is being picked up and going home with a kid that just puked and has a fever of 103?

We just had a poster say a parent didn't return calls and picked their kid up a couple of HOURS after the kid was found sick. What if that parent was supposed to pick up another day care kid? Is it okay if the kid leaves early? What if you can't get ahold of parent one to ask? Is parent two going to be pissed because you didn't release the child early?

When you start intertwining parents into each others compliance it is RISKY.
I have three families that are all related to each other. They have been with me for three years. I have NEVER had any of these issues. I have had parents pick up each others' kids, but it was PREPLANNED and I was informed ahead of time that it was happening. I don't rely on them to pick up each others' kids when they are sick etc, they only do it if they are doing something together after work, etc. And it has ALWAYS been that the parent who picks up is able to get there earlier than the next parent would. I have never released a kid without the parents permission that same day to do so, so there would be no allowing the kid to leave early without that permission first, THAT DAY. And, yes, if they pick up LATE, they would be responsible for the late charge....it's in my contract. Though I have never had that issue arise.

I just don't think it is AS risky as you play it out to be. Risky, a little, but not so much as you describe it.
Cat Herder 03:41 PM 11-21-2011
Just a share; as close to on topic as I can muster with no caffeine in the house and a raging headache.

All of my current clients and half of my last couple groups were college roommates / friends and socialize outside of my home. It is a delicate balance, but can be done.

I agree with not allowing them to "visit" with other clients kids during my daycare hours. I put that rule in place because of an incident one year where Mom A sent her child in a "It's my Birthday" shirt on the Mom B's child's actual birthday (child A's party was the following day). Drama ensued....

For me it was a non-issue. DCK A was changed into another shirt for the party photos and I tossed it into their cubby for the following day. Mom A proceeded to email ALL of my clients, and me, about how tacky it was....

There have been a few other "friend-emy" type dramas since, but I have become quite adept a managing it.

I would WELCOME having the Licensor here, though. FINALLY, a captive audience to explain things....
nannyde 03:46 PM 11-21-2011
I have three families that are all related to each other. They have been with me for three years. I have NEVER had any of these issues. I have had parents pick up each others' kids, but it was PREPLANNED and I was informed ahead of time that it was happening. I don't rely on them to pick up each others' kids when they are sick etc, they only do it if they are doing something together after work, etc. And it has ALWAYS been that the parent who picks up is able to get there earlier than the next parent would. I have never released a kid without the parents permission that same day to do so, so there would be no allowing the kid to leave early without that permission first, THAT DAY. And, yes, if they pick up LATE, they would be responsible for the late charge....it's in my contract. Though I have never had that issue arise.

I just don't think it is AS risky as you play it out to be. Risky, a little, but not so much as you describe it.
I'm just saying that "I" think it's really risky.
daycare 03:53 PM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Just a share; as close to on topic as I can muster with no caffeine in the house and a raging headache.

All of my current clients and half of my last couple groups were college roommates / friends and socialize outside of my home. It is a delicate balance, but can be done.

I agree with not allowing them to "visit" with other clients kids during my daycare hours. I put that rule in place because of an incident one year where Mom A sent her child in a "It's my Birthday" shirt on the Mom B's child's actual birthday (child A's party was the following day). Drama ensued....

For me it was a non-issue. DCK A was changed into another shirt for the party photos and I tossed it into their cubby for the following day. Mom A proceeded to email ALL of my clients, and me, about how tacky it was....

There have been a few other "friend-emy" type dramas since, but I have become quite adept a managing it.

I would WELCOME having the Licensor here, though. FINALLY, a captive audience to explain things....
Guess you could kiss the excuse "it's licensing's. Rules "

Lol
Cat Herder 03:58 PM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
Guess you could kiss the excuse "it's licensing's. Rules "

Lol
NOT at all..... When the OTHER parents complain about "silly" things (like us not being able to play sidewalk chalk on the driveway anymore) I can say... " Ask Mrs. *****, maybe SHE can get us an exception."

I would be THRILLED!!!
daycare 04:15 PM 11-21-2011
NOT at all..... When the OTHER parents complain about "silly" things (like us not being able to play sidewalk chalk on the driveway anymore) I can say... " Ask Mrs. *****, maybe SHE can get us an exception."

I would be THRILLED!!!
lol...yes so very true and what a great way to look at it...
nannyde 04:29 PM 11-21-2011

I was thinking about this and thought of another angle.

We just had a blazing thread on the "shortest enrollment ever" where we were blessed with the parents P.O.V.

That thread was a perfect example of how something can occur and the viewpoint of the provider was litterally a hundred percent opposite of the parents P.O.V.

If we didn't hear both sides of the story we couldn't have made that up if we tried.

In that scenario........ if the parent was a co-worker of the licensor I think the complaint the parent made would have carried a tremendous amount of weight.

That's one of the inherent risks of taking children of employees of the state or the agency that can drastically affect your livlihood. If something happens the parent may have an advantage or influence over the ultimate outcome that they would not have if they were just another entitled parent retaliating because they've gotten their first "no" in life.

I wouldn't work with a client that worked for my DHS. Too much of a conflict of interest for me. I also don't work for friends, family, neighbors, or friends of friends. I've tried it a few times and most times it didn't make me happy. My happiness and comfort level is really important to my LONG TERM success. I try to stay within my comfort zone when it comes to client relationships. It's what works for me.
Tags:friends/neighbors/relatives kids - risk, licensing
Reply Up