Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Starting Daycare In Small House Need Advice
Kimberly5586 05:57 PM 04-21-2012
Hey everyone I am new to the site and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me. I am planning on starting my daycare in August and my house is only 600 sq ft. My living room would be the playroom. Any suggestions or ideas is much appreciated.
Breezy 07:44 PM 04-21-2012
My living room is my play room too and I use those cubical things from Target with the fabric drawers for toys. It is under the tv which is mounted to the wall so it still looks like a home instead of a daycare when kids arent here
Pout 09:04 AM 04-22-2012
I just small opened my daycare in my small house and I am using the living room for the play room as well. Breezy, do you have a photo of your setup? I am really curious on how I should do it.
familyschoolcare 09:13 AM 04-22-2012
I have a small home also, I use my living room for the "playroom" and my eat in kitchen table for table play, eating and doing homework. The space is small compared to a center or a "large" home. However, given that I will only accept 5 maybe 6 children it is pleanty of space. I do use the hallway for playing cars.
MarinaVanessa 10:03 AM 04-22-2012
I live in a condo so DC area isn't that big either. I don't even have a real yard. Just a small back patio area which I use as an extension to my playspace. You just have to get creative and be really organized. Here's how mine looks and maybe you'll get some ideas. Sorry about the really big pictures

And here's my outside space.

CheekyChick 11:11 AM 04-22-2012
Marina Vanessa... You did a great job with a small space. I love your outdoor play area. So cute!!!
Michael 01:30 PM 04-22-2012
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum Kimberly! I've upgraded your status. You can post freely now. Some other threads on small space daycare: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=small+room
Sprouts 04:42 PM 04-22-2012
Marina that little house in the back is so cute! Did u have that built?
MarinaVanessa 05:11 PM 04-22-2012
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
Marina Vanessa... You did a great job with a small space. I love your outdoor play area. So cute!!!
Thanks, I really did have to get very creative. The dark buffet table doubles both as my changing table and stores DC supplies like my DC clothes and shoes, games and other gear. In the mornings the small yellow table and four chairs are inside and we eat breakfast on it then it goes outside and we use it for "centers". I had my DH add the canopy in the back which covers most of the back area from the sun (is also UV protection), wind and rain (also waterproof). Without the use of the back area I don't know that I'd want to have more than just 2 DC kids.

Originally Posted by Sprouts:
Marina that little house in the back is so cute! Did u have that built?
I bought the house at Lowe's 2 years ago. It's really sturdy and the kids love it ... even the boys.
frugalmama4 05:58 PM 04-22-2012
I haven't brought myself to give up much of my living space for daycare.

I have a formal dining room that's considered the official daycare room. In my living room I do have a nice big toy box w/lid (matches my decor) filled with the infant toys. Things that are not in use every day (infant big play items) I break down and put behind the sofa or under if it fits. I'm lucking I have a nice size closet in my front entrance which houses the kids cubbies. I also find one of those larger entertainment centers at a garage sale for $30.00 yeah! it has double close doors with shelves for storage all my craft supplies go's there.

Like I said this is my first home and we've waited so long to get in it...I just can't give up my living space just let.

I would think about versatile furniture think of it this way, if you had four kids of your own how would you incorporate they play/school items without loosing your home.

Good Luck-Oh, how about the garage? I'm trying to get the hubby on board w/this myself.
mac60 04:09 AM 04-23-2012
Can you tell me where you got the canopy and how it is attached? I really like it.
MarinaVanessa 07:37 AM 04-23-2012
Originally Posted by mac60:
Can you tell me where you got the canopy and how it is attached? I really like it.
I bought it online but I'll have to find the receipt to check which website it was. It wasn't very expensive at all but I got it when it was at a deep discount ($60 I think), not sure if they still have that deal though as I bought it months ago. It's attached to the fence and porch beam by eyelet bolts. It's awesome, I love it. I'll try to find the receipt at nap for you and give you the name of the online store
Pout 12:26 PM 04-23-2012
MarinaVanessa, your space looks fantastic! You have a beautiful house. It's so bright and cheery!
MarinaVanessa 12:41 PM 04-23-2012
Originally Posted by Pout:
MarinaVanessa, your space looks fantastic! You have a beautiful house. It's so bright and cheery!
Wow really? Well I guess it's getting there. When I first moved in I complained that everything was beige and looked like a hospital lol. I've slowly taken over the space . Thanks.
Pout 07:02 PM 04-23-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Wow really? Well I guess it's getting there. When I first moved in I complained that everything was beige and looked like a hospital lol. I've slowly taken over the space . Thanks.
Lol! Well you've definitely made it really cute and homey. I love your area rug!
Kimberly5586 04:50 PM 04-24-2012
Thanks to everyone who posted. Marina Vanessa thank you for sharing the picture it helped to give me some ideas. I was wondering to use your patio a lot because you said as an extension of the play area.
cherryhill 02:42 PM 04-25-2012
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I live in a condo so DC area isn't that big either. I don't even have a real yard. Just a small back patio area which I use as an extension to my playspace. You just have to get creative and be really organized. Here's how mine looks and maybe you'll get some ideas. Sorry about the really big pictures

And here's my outside space.

I like how your living room still looks like a home. It inspired me to get rid of my color explosion foam mats. Now I utilize this bench that housed junk for the toys they play with and put them back in the bench at the end of the day. I only have a front porch and it is small I have a slide and a sand and water table out there, but we mostly use our alley/garage area for the kids to ride bike and scooters once a day. It's a norm in my area back yards are a joke. If you do have one it's not big enough for ride on toys.
Thanks for the pictures.
Tags:layout, small room
Reply Up