Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Misconception of Daycare...
pfund2233 07:24 AM 05-07-2012
What have you found to be a misconception to owning a daycare??

Mine is/was "Oh I'll get to have more time with my own kids". Yeah right!! I get to spend less time with them I think. I don't get to do the field trips and fun school stuff... one reason why I'm goning back to a job of 9-5 with paid vacations and I dont get then stanke eye for taking a day off!!
mac60 07:34 AM 05-07-2012
This is not what I think, but what I perceive others think.

Easy job and we sit on our butts.
Make lots of income doing not much....when in fact we put a good portion of our income right back into our business to run it.
Just because the last kid leaves at 5:15 does not mean that my daycare day is done.
pfund2233 07:39 AM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by mac60:
This is not what I think, but what I perceive others think.

Easy job and we sit on our butts.
Make lots of income doing not much....when in fact we put a good portion of our income right back into our business to run it.
Just because the last kid leaves at 5:15 does not mean that my daycare day is done.
AGREE!!! I remember when I first stared doing this and my hubby and parents were like oh it can't be that hard... UGH!! Then one day hubby was ill and home from work and he seen first hand!! He never again said I had an "easy" job. And my parent's learned the same thing when they dropped in one day. I have kids from 530am-530pm then dinner and baths for my family and clean up... I go to bed MAYBE by 1030pm!!
DCP 07:44 AM 05-07-2012
LOL mac60!!

My husband used to think my job was easy - and did not understand why i was stressed half the time. On top of that i have three of my own!
He started having days off during the week and after the first full day here with the kids and listening to parents..he now hides or leaves the house LOL

I have not heard a thing about "how easy" my job is since!! And in fact..he helps more around the house when he is home!!

I started mine due to a money issue - daycare for two kids at once was insane! And my current position at a company would be cease within a year so I took the lay off and started this business.

There are many positives but so many negatives to this business..when I am feeling down and aggravated and start to think about stopping..I have to focus on the things that are great about it!
lil angels 07:45 AM 05-07-2012
Everyone else tells me oh you must be rich. That's great money and I must really like being here to get my house hold stuff done all the time. Ya right some but not even close to all then I have to clean up after all these kids and parents.
SunshineMama 07:46 AM 05-07-2012
Common misconceptions:

That we always "have our hands full" and just sit back eating bon bon's with a bunch of rowdy kids running around uncontrollably.

That our job is easy.

That, just because we work from home, we can get more things done around our own house.

That we get to spend quality time during daycare hours with our own kids.

That we are not educated and can't do anything else.

That we are lucky to be able to do whatever we want, whenever we want.

That it's ok for SAHM'ss to bring their kids over for play-dates just because we are home

That it isn't a real job
AfterSchoolMom 07:49 AM 05-07-2012
When I first considered doing home childcare, I have to say that it never occurred to me that I'd have SO many problems with parents. I spent a lot of time thinking about potential issues with the kids, but parent issues never even crossed my mind!
dave4him 08:26 AM 05-07-2012
Oh i know im not planning to do this much longer, just untill i can get my own into school! I want to be a teacher but not for their age level
cheerfuldom 08:40 AM 05-07-2012
I never expected parents to be so rude, clueless or helpless.

My husband used to think that daycare would be just like being a SAHM.....ha ha, yeah right
itlw8 08:52 AM 05-07-2012
I never occured to me that I would still be doing this almost 30 years later. I planned to go back to work after the youngest went to school.

I started out with great mentors it made a big difference.
SunshineMama 10:37 AM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
When I first considered doing home childcare, I have to say that it never occurred to me that I'd have SO many problems with parents. I spent a lot of time thinking about potential issues with the kids, but parent issues never even crossed my mind!
This, exactly!

99% of my problems are with inconsiderate parents. The kids "get it" way faster than the parents
jojosmommy 11:28 AM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
Common misconceptions:

That we always "have our hands full" and just sit back eating bon bon's with a bunch of rowdy kids running around uncontrollably.

That our job is easy.

That, just because we work from home, we can get more things done around our own house.

That we get to spend quality time during daycare hours with our own kids.

That we are not educated and can't do anything else.

That we are lucky to be able to do whatever we want, whenever we want.

That it's ok for SAHM'ss to bring their kids over for play-dates just because we are home

That it isn't a real job
ALL of these! oh, and the you must make a ton of money!
AfterSchoolMom 11:32 AM 05-07-2012
A common parent misconception - that there's something wrong with you if you're doing daycare "for the money". Why is that a bad thing? I wouldn't do any other job just for the sheer joy of it!
kayla 11:33 AM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I agree never in a million years did I think that I would have as much problems as I do with parents... maybe its jealousy??
cheerfuldom 11:43 AM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by kayla:
I agree never in a million years did I think that I would have as much problems as I do with parents... maybe its jealousy??
maybe...I think a lot of parents just dont have any experience with kids whatsoever. They fly by the seat of their pants and are super permissive and unstructured OR read everything in sight and try to micromanage every second of every day. Its always nice to have parents that are mature, their life is well balanced, they don't go to either parenting extreme.

There are always a few that really are just very unhappy with the daycare situation, they are jealous and it has nothing to do with the particular daycare provider.
WImom 12:12 PM 05-07-2012
That I can be licensed and still own MY business! I feel I work for the state instead. They have sooo many rules and regulations here in WI that I don't really feel like I actually have my own business.

Just wanted to add that I'm all for rules and regulations to a point and so far I've been 100% compliant, it's just overwhelming sometimes.

My other thing would have to be the same as others with having more time to spend with your own kids. Mine are older now but when they were younger I felt that way.
Countrygal 12:21 PM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by WImom:
That I can be licensed and still own MY business! I feel I work for the state instead. They have sooo many rules and regulations here in WI that I don't really feel like I actually have my own business.

Just wanted to add that I'm all for rules and regulations to a point and so far I've been 100% compliant, it's just overwhelming sometimes.

My other thing would have to be the same as others with having more time to spend with your own kids. Mine are older now but when they were younger I felt that way.
Yeah, what she said!

That and I thought I'd have time to get some of my own work done while I watched the kids - like I did when my kids were little. Yeah. NOT!
temom 02:13 PM 05-07-2012
What has me boiling is that parents think, if they paying us we become their servants. from brushing the kids teeth to changing their night diapers, to teaching them to hold the pencil, eat with a fork. I had a DCM who asked her kid when he coughed has ( my name) taught u any manners to cover ur mouth when u cough. i was like ....... seriously!. I personally think parents should write and exam and pass it 100% before most of them should be allowed to have kids :P

when i started i thought i would get to spend more time with my kids, not travel and stay and enjoy my home when its -35 outside. Boy!! did i have something else coming, and again i loveeeeeeeeeeeee the kids Hateeeeeeeeeeee the parents, well most of the ones i have ran into.
DaisyMamma 06:06 PM 05-07-2012
Easy

Not a real job
SunshineMama 09:35 AM 05-08-2012
This is a major pet peeve of mine as well! I have parents who swear they are potty training and their kid is in underwear at home. I will send their kid home in pull ups on a friday, after 0 or 1 accident all day, then come Monday again, they are back to not even telling me they have to go potty at all.

I think my biggest pet peeve right now is my 16 mo dcb. I have been really working with him to walk, and had some great strides with him taking a few step on his own. The parents have not even noticed (this is their only child). Seriously? I can remember when I worked outside of the home, I worked with my kids all night before bed to help them crawl, walk, talk, write, etc- clearly these parents are doing nothing.

This reminds me of the other thread where OP was talking about how people pay more for their dogs and are better clients than for their own kids.

Originally Posted by temom:
What has me boiling is that parents think, if they paying us we become their servants. from brushing the kids teeth to changing their night diapers, to teaching them to hold the pencil, eat with a fork. I had a DCM who asked her kid when he coughed has ( my name) taught u any manners to cover ur mouth when u cough. i was like ....... seriously!. I personally think parents should write and exam and pass it 100% before most of them should be allowed to have kids :P

when i started i thought i would get to spend more time with my kids, not travel and stay and enjoy my home when its -35 outside. Boy!! did i have something else coming, and again i loveeeeeeeeeeeee the kids Hateeeeeeeeeeee the parents, well most of the ones i have ran into.

kidsnplaycc 07:05 AM 05-09-2012
In my area it is extremely hard to get a substitute or aide, so I really miss going on field trips with my own kids, being able to take a day off when I get sick or just taking a personal day. My hours are long 7:00 to 6:00 everyday. And I guess the demands overall. Getting burned out reaaly sucks. Sometimes I really miss working away from home and I worked in accounting so that says a lot.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle the burnout?
temom 09:33 AM 05-09-2012
Originally Posted by kidsnplaycc:
In my area it is extremely hard to get a substitute or aide, so I really miss going on field trips with my own kids, being able to take a day off when I get sick or just taking a personal day. My hours are long 7:00 to 6:00 everyday. And I guess the demands overall. Getting burned out reaaly sucks. Sometimes I really miss working away from home and I worked in accounting so that says a lot.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle the burnout?
i started taking out personal time, where i get away from all kids including mine once DH gets home
its the routine of the day that brings us to the burnout, i feel in DC u have to be present mind, body and soul and it can take a toll on any sane person. Even when the DCK leave u still have your own house and kids to deal with. Hope you find your out soon.
Reply Up