Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Please I Need Advices on Expanding to Large Daycare! Thank you!
Unregistered 06:20 PM 06-05-2014
Hello!

I would really appreciate some advices from you guys (I read this forum all the time specially to seek advices from all of your experiences with Daycare since I just opened this year).

I opened few months ago, after working on opening the daycare for about a year. And without couple months (and lots of advertising). I reached full capacity, now I have many demands and a long wait list ( I realize maybe only 1/3 of those on the wait list would actually enroll).

But at the end of the months after paying off the high rent, the food, materials,my loan and my helper I don't have much left for myself (like 800$!) I love having the daycare but it seems it will be impossible to save money and make a good living this way.

So since I have so many demands I was thinking to expand to 12 children (maybe just 10 so 4 extra kiddies).

I was wondering if any of you did that as well, start by a small in 6kids to 12 and what your experience was like, what is the big differences? Dealing with more parents? And after all it is really worth it? Did you hiring extra help (3 adults for 10 kids or those 2 adultes for 10 kids sounds reasonable?)

I values your opinions! Thank you!

Ps: Expanding would requiring some investment in extra things like beds etc... I am thinking about 1500$ is that enough?
daycare 06:28 PM 06-05-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hello!

I would really appreciate some advices from you guys (I read this forum all the time specially to seek advices from all of your experiences with Daycare since I just opened this year).

I opened few months ago, after working on opening the daycare for about a year. And without couple months (and lots of advertising). I reached full capacity, now I have many demands and a long wait list ( I realize maybe only 1/3 of those on the wait list would actually enroll).

But at the end of the months after paying off the high rent, the food, materials,my loan and my helper I don't have much left for myself (like 800$!) I love having the daycare but it seems it will be impossible to save money and make a good living this way.

So since I have so many demands I was thinking to expand to 12 children (maybe just 10 so 4 extra kiddies).

I was wondering if any of you did that as well, start by a small in 6kids to 12 and what your experience was like, what is the big differences? Dealing with more parents? And after all it is really worth it? Did you hiring extra help (3 adults for 10 kids or those 2 adultes for 10 kids sounds reasonable?)

I values your opinions! Thank you!

Ps: Expanding would requiring some investment in extra things like beds etc... I am thinking about 1500$ is that enough?
what state are you in?
Unregistered 06:33 PM 06-05-2014
I am in California.
snbauser 06:35 PM 06-05-2014
You need to research your regs (state, local, zoning, fire, etc) to figure out what your extra start up costs would be. Plus you need to figure out how much extra for food, utilities, helpers, extra/faster wear and tear on toys, extra taxes, liability, etc.
Unregistered 06:39 PM 06-05-2014
Thank you for replying!

I am mostly worried about the extra work or the changes that will happens with dealing with more families...

Any of you wished you stay a smaller daycare? Or was it about the same after all (small daycare to bigger one) and worth the extra work?
daycare 06:39 PM 06-05-2014
I am also in CA...

have you been in business for at least one year??
daycare 06:41 PM 06-05-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
I am also in CA...

have you been in business for at least one year??
the extra work load can really make it not worth it if you don't have a family member as a helper. I am very lucky that I hve my husband helping me and then some asst. But if I had to pay a full time employee and workers comp for FT for all of them it would not be worth it.
snbauser 07:20 PM 06-05-2014
I was large for about 3 years. I would never go back to doing it if I needed to have an assistant unless that assistant was my husband.
Unregistered 07:34 PM 06-05-2014
I currently have an assistance to help me with the six kids... I am so thank flu to her, beside her I have no one (no husband or family close by to help).

Is just because I heard so many awful things happening in large daycare (parents doing tantrum, and drama) that I am a little afraid of what would happen and how my current families would react.
crazydaycarelady 11:21 AM 06-06-2014
I did the exact thing you are talking about only I have my (now) group home in my house, but in it's own area. So I don't have rent, just the regular mortgage. Anyway, I ran this by myself for years with 6 kids and 2 overlap kids. Then I had several dcmoms all preggo at once and no room for all of the babies so I got a helper and went up to 12 kids.

Let me just say - everyday is C~R~A~Z~Y with 12 kids AND their parents!

It is so much more of everything - drop-offs and pick-ups, schedules, food prep, diaper changes, payments. It is twice the work but only about 1/4 more pay for me after I pay my helper.

I also think the number of kids is contributing to my higher rate of burnout.

But it is more money, yes, if that is what you are needing.
allsmiles 01:34 PM 06-06-2014
i almost posted this exact same post yesterday but got busy and didnt hit send!!! what a coincidence..
but i have my inspection for larger home care on TUESDAY..weeee.. I too was tired of turning down kids/money and i already had a helper with the small daycare so it seemed the next best step.. I do worry that i want even reach full capacity so it wont be THAT much more income but I do the food program so hopefully that will make a big enough difference as well.. I also worried about getting inspected more throughout the year due to being a licensed vs registered care (thats how its termed here TX). i just dont like the inconvenience of ppl in the house while im doing my job, but im sure i will get over it. Good luck with your decision!!!!
ashleyh 01:38 PM 06-07-2014
I began being licensed for 6 and learned there was a high demand in the area for childcare so applied to take on more. Once I was approved it was easy to fill with word of mouth however I have to say while there is more gross revenue coming in now, I've also had to pay more in assistant costs, food costs, insurance etc to make sure I have enough for everything we do. I raised rates by 5$ a week to help the added costs as well as joined the food program.

We have our fair share of drama of course. i try to stay on top of everything and squash things in the butt before they snowball. It's exhausting but I enjoy it.
Blackcat31 03:48 PM 06-07-2014
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I did the exact thing you are talking about only I have my (now) group home in my house, but in it's own area. So I don't have rent, just the regular mortgage. Anyway, I ran this by myself for years with 6 kids and 2 overlap kids. Then I had several dcmoms all preggo at once and no room for all of the babies so I got a helper and went up to 12 kids.

Let me just say - everyday is C~R~A~Z~Y with 12 kids AND their parents!

It is so much more of everything - drop-offs and pick-ups, schedules, food prep, diaper changes, payments. It is twice the work but only about 1/4 more pay for me after I pay my helper.

I also think the number of kids is contributing to my higher rate of burnout.

But it is more money, yes, if that is what you are needing.

I have 10-12 every day and I dread the days when I have only a couple.

I much prefer the group of 10-12.

I think it's easier.
Annalee 04:21 PM 06-07-2014
I am licensed for 12 but have not had over 5 kids a day since after Memorial Day! AND I LOVE IT, because I still get PAID!
Meeko 06:08 PM 06-09-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thank you for replying!

I am mostly worried about the extra work or the changes that will happens with dealing with more families...

Any of you wished you stay a smaller daycare? Or was it about the same after all (small daycare to bigger one) and worth the extra work?
I did daycare by myself with 8 kids for many years and after my husband retired from the Air Force, we expanded to large family group with 16 kids. I honestly found that number of kids easier than 8 because I had help and we now have designated daycare space and my family living area is completely separate.

However, there is more paperwork to keep in order and as I actually have 21 kids on my books and 18 different sets of parents to deal with.......it can be tough at times. I would advise being VERY picky about clients and have iron-clad rules/contract/handbook to help you with the crazies that WILL pop up regardless of how hard you try to weed them out!

I don't regret expanding one tiny bit. Best move we ever made really.
CrackerJacks 07:51 PM 06-09-2014
I'm also in CA. I've been licensed for 7yrs. Three of which I ran at large capacity...I don't think I'll ever go back. Even with help it was soo much work and after all the extra expenses such as supplies, payroll, workers comp I end up making the same, if not more operating at a small capacity (4/5kiddos). I won't lie though, it does get lonely at times because it's only you.
Tags:expanding
Reply Up