Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Lose/Win Situation..Possibly?
gkids09 03:31 PM 05-24-2010
I own a group home daycare, so I have an assistant every day. At times, I have three teachers there with the kids at once (2 of my assistants and me). It is totally legal to have only two, but when I hired everyone it was when I had a TON of kiddos who had just turned one, so for ratios, it was entirely necessary. Anyway, my employees have all been doing great. Friday, I had one who closed. Found out Saturday morning that she had gotten up and moved to another state! In other words, not coming back...No notice at all. It was a mess getting my other two employees to change their schedule a little, but we did, and everything went great today. The youngest kid we have now will be 2 in September, so he's still kind of young, but other than that, everyone is 2-5 years. I felt a big feeling of relief today when I realized that, without hiring anyone else, and the other 2 employees keeping their same hours, I was going to be making a whole paycheck more than I have been. This is great news, because I am wanting to do a few things to the daycare. So, I wanted to let everyone know my good? news, and also ask what kinds of things you save money for for your daycare. Hope everyone has had a good Monday!!
emosks 05:14 PM 05-24-2010
Glad it is working out for you!!
My4SunshineGirlsNY 07:01 PM 05-24-2010
More money for yourself is always a good feeling.

I don't get a lot of extra after paying bills...but some things on my "wish" list for my daycare are a fence around my playset, more outdoor toys for the kids, a deckbox to put toys in on my front deck (like our sidewalk chalk, ect.), some new educational toys for inside, a good stock supply of ready to do crafts...the list could probably go on and on...oh if I were rich!
professionalmom 09:01 PM 05-24-2010
Originally Posted by My4SunshineGirlsNY:
More money for yourself is always a good feeling.

I don't get a lot of extra after paying bills...but some things on my "wish" list for my daycare are a fence around my playset, more outdoor toys for the kids, a deckbox to put toys in on my front deck (like our sidewalk chalk, ect.), some new educational toys for inside, a good stock supply of ready to do crafts...the list could probably go on and on...oh if I were rich!
I think the same thing about all I want to buy to improve my daycare and wish I were rich enough to afford it. But then, I wouldn't need to work and could just give all my time and attention to my children (and husband). Oh, and if I were rich, I could hire a maid!
QualiTcare 09:12 PM 05-24-2010
that's awesome for you.

just make sure you don't burn out the employees you still have. the daycare i used to work for ALWAYS operated at the max. ratio possible and it was not a nice place to work. yeah, it was legal, but not fun. it's probably a big reason turnover is insane in the field, actually.

there was never any time to play with the kids. there was barely time just to keep them fed and changed. NIGHTMARE!
My4SunshineGirlsNY 04:29 AM 05-25-2010
Originally Posted by professionalmom:
I think the same thing about all I want to buy to improve my daycare and wish I were rich enough to afford it. But then, I wouldn't need to work and could just give all my time and attention to my children (and husband). Oh, and if I were rich, I could hire a maid!
Oh the thought is so nice...I want to spend all my time one on one with my kids, or have that time to myself when they are in school to do the things I can't do now (such as organize photos that hasn't been done in oh..6 years!!)...sometimes I detest doing daycare...well mostly when I have a bad one in my care that won't listen to me (like my new daycare boy!).
originalkat 05:46 AM 05-25-2010
I am glad eevrything is working out so well! I love being able to buy new things to improve my program. What fun!
grandmom 06:46 AM 05-25-2010
Consider a bonus to the 2 remaining employees each month. Bonus and not a raise, because then you aren't locked into that new salary. They deserve something for the extra work they will be doing.

The rest, maintenance, and savings account.
Tags:assistant, group home, monday
Reply Up