Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kid On The Loose...
MissAnn 03:09 PM 05-18-2011
I am livid! A parent picked up her child in my backyard. The boy opened the lock on the gate. I told him no. The mom said....he opened it for me! I said....he still cannot open the gate. She was not very happy. I turned to watch kids playing and when I turned back....the gate was open and her son was out of sight! She was right at the gate. I said.....that cannot happen! Then I heard her yell to get out of the road! I was livid! She left and I thought all was well. A little while later the boy came back to my backyard and asked if he could pet my dog! I can't see into my front yard....so I didn't know they were still there. I said no.......go to your mom! Apparently she was talking to another mom.This has happened with this mom before....I told her she needed to hold his hand all the way to the car. She has no control over him at all. Tomorow I plan on planting myself at the gate to police it.....having a talk with both the boy and his mom.....this cannot happen!!!!!!!
sharlan 03:43 PM 05-18-2011
Put a lock on the gate that he cannot open. I have a little luggage lock on my gate, it's just enough to stop the kids.

I would be so irate with that mother. I had one mother who couldn't control her kids so I carried the eldest out to the car and buckled him into his carseat myself. It was a lot less stress on me. It took a couple of weeks of me doing this before she got the message.
MissAnn 03:49 PM 05-18-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Put a lock on the gate that he cannot open. I have a little luggage lock on my gate, it's just enough to stop the kids.

I would be so irate with that mother. I had one mother who couldn't control her kids so I carried the eldest out to the car and buckled him into his carseat myself. It was a lot less stress on me. It took a couple of weeks of me doing this before she got the message.
This is exactly what my dh said to do....the lock. I have one around here. Parents won't be happy to have to reach to my side of the gate to take the lock off....and then have to place it back on.....but there are consequences for all parents when one cannot behave! Thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one who cannot control my parents sometimes! lol. Just kidding....you showed yours! I can't put this kid in his carseat because I am the only one here and there are more kids who need supervision. Yes....it does make me very mad. I've had this problem with this mom before with my front door...I gave her a big ol' lecture and it got better. Here we go again!
sharlan 03:53 PM 05-18-2011
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
This is exactly what my dh said to do....the lock. I have one around here. Parents won't be happy to have to reach to my side of the gate to take the lock off....and then have to place it back on.....but there are consequences for all parents when one cannot behave! Thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one who cannot control my parents sometimes! lol. Just kidding....you showed yours! I can't put this kid in his carseat because I am the only one here and there are more kids who need supervision. Yes....it does make me very mad. I've had this problem with this mom before with my front door...I gave her a big ol' lecture and it got better. Here we go again!
Too bad if the other parents don't like it. It is NOT safe for their children when another child unlocks a gate. What is to stop him when you have your back turned for 30 secs, he sees Mom, he opens the gate, and runs out, leaving the gate open for the other children.

I would take the other children out with me and have them sit on the grass.
MissAnn 03:58 PM 05-18-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Too bad if the other parents don't like it. It is NOT safe for their children when another child unlocks a gate. What is to stop him when you have your back turned for 30 secs, he sees Mom, he opens the gate, and runs out, leaving the gate open for the other children.

I would take the other children out with me and have them sit on the grass.
You are so right! He never opens the gate or even tries....but with mom there....he thinks all the rules go out the window. I have to be drill seargent at pick up time.....but I am not about to let him think he can do as he pleases just because mom arrived.....my program....my property....my rules.
MG&Lsmom 05:29 PM 05-18-2011
Infuriating!

My dcb consistently goes down the front steps to the front door (I live in a raised ranch home) and out the front door while dcm is talking to me or gathering his things. He knows not to go down the stairs without an adult, but when mom is here out the door he goes. I correct the behavior every time and tell mom she needs to lock the gate, not just close it when she comes in. Grr!

And if he gets out the door, he runs and crawls UNDER her car. He burnt himself on her muffler one day. Thank goodness she was parked on the street not in my driveway!
jen 06:05 PM 05-18-2011
My gate has a combinatin lock and I'm the only one with the combination...well, except for my husband. When parents pick up, I either lift them over the gate or tell Mom or Dad to meet us at the front door.
Stacy214 09:31 AM 05-19-2011
This absolutely blows my MIND!!!! I have one that does the same thing! When Mom comes all rules go out the window lol....it's frustrating and when we are stern with the parents they think we are the bad guys...geesh!
sharlan 09:59 AM 05-19-2011
Originally Posted by Stacy214:
This absolutely blows my MIND!!!! I have one that does the same thing! When Mom comes all rules go out the window lol....it's frustrating and when we are stern with the parents they think we are the bad guys...geesh!
Remind the parents that this is a safty issue for the other children. You have to take your eyes off of them to deal with the misbehaving child AND the parent who's not parenting.
Stacy214 10:52 AM 05-19-2011
I agree...and I have just the one older one who just shoots out the door when his Mom comes, ugh. And you would think the parents would be pleased that we are trying to be so cautious.
sharlan 08:10 AM 05-27-2011
How is this working out?
newtodaycare22 10:18 AM 05-27-2011
Careful with the lock....

I'm in MD but my licensing/fire marshal rules won't let me lock the gate during daycare hours. It's a fire hazard. I get where they are coming from but still...

Licensing required me to have a fence (3600 dollars)
Fire marshall tells me not to keep in secure
Kaddidle Care 10:27 AM 05-27-2011
The boy opened the lock on the gate. I told him no. The mom said....he opened it for me! I said....he still cannot open the gate. She was not very happy. I turned to watch kids playing and when I turned back....the gate was open and her son was out of sight! She was right at the gate. I said.....that cannot happen!
My rule is that no children are allowed to open the gate. Teacher/Caregiver or Parent only and in this case I would say Teacher/Caregiver only.

Then I heard her yell to get out of the road!
I hate tell you but this reflects badly on you. (I know it's not your fault because the child was already in Mom's care.) Anyone driving down the road that knows you run a Daycare out of your home and sees a child in the road, well, you know they won't look favorably at your Daycare.

A little while later the boy came back to my backyard and asked if he could pet my dog! I can't see into my front yard....so I didn't know they were still there. I said no.......go to your mom! Apparently she was talking to another mom.This has happened with this mom before....I told her she needed to hold his hand all the way to the car. She has no control over him at all. Tomorow I plan on planting myself at the gate to police it.....having a talk with both the boy and his mom.....this cannot happen!!!!!!!
You need to send out a note to all of your parents stating that due to safety reasons the following apply:

1: Outside gate is to be opened by YOU and only you.

2: Children are to be held by the hand by parents/guardians until they leave your property.

3: Failure to follow these rules will not be tolerated and will result in termination. Your child's safety is of utmost importance to me.

That should pretty much solve it. If Mommy wants to chit chat with another Mommy, that's fine so long as she's holding little Johnny's hand.
Tags:gates, lock, pick up policy, safety
Reply Up