Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Building A Fence For Play Area - Little OT
Nickel 11:31 AM 07-11-2012
Okay, I have dogs, so I'd really like to put up a fence in my already fenced yard to keep the play area separate from the dogs area. My plan is to make a walk way from my back porch to my patio. The patio is in the corner of my yard, so it is fenced on two sides. My patio is about 10x10 raised wood (i haven't measured it yet), So I was thinking of extending the fence to include a portion of the yard and then putting those puzzle mat things ontop of the wood. This would give the kids a nice clean area to play in that the dogs wouldn't be able to enter when the kids aren't there. It is NOT to keep them separate together, it's basically so my dogs don't eliminate in this area or eat the toys. So I only need it to be 4-6ft high. My one dog can jump over, but with training I'm sure I can get her to leave the area alone.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can do this cheaply? I was thinking of doing the vinyl fence panels, but I'm looking at $100 a panel and will need 4 or 6 of them plus the gate and posts and hardware, so that's a little out of my price range. And i don't have power tools so I'd either have to rent then and figure out how to use them, or have the store cut them for me. I was thinking of the lattice fence, but not sure if that would be sturdy enough. I would have to put a running over the top to keep it smooth, but doesn't that type of fence get splintery...

And it all has to be safe for my dck... And my husband is not very handy and works all the time, so I'd be doing this by myself or with the help of a friend. So easy and cheap and safe and sturdy area all requirements. if anyone can offer suggestions or experiences I would appreciate it before I go to the home improvement store and sound like an idiot. Also any suggestions on where to get supplies. We have a hd and lowes and also a tractor supply and i think a lumber yard.

Would love some suggestions. Thanks!
Truly Scrumptious 12:21 PM 07-11-2012
If you're going to do it yourself....the easiest thing I can think of would be those little picket fence panels like they sell at Lowes. But, you would still have to set your posts in cement, which means digging huge holes...or maybe you could use those rods like you see on a pasture fence and hammer them in the ground....Not really sure...my husband built my fence...but if I had to do it myself...this might be the way I would do it.
Nickel 03:08 PM 07-11-2012
Can I use the picket fence? Are the points allowed? I know that might sound weird, but could the kids get hurt on them? I figure I'll have to do the cement. I'm going to have to have someone come out and check for electric lines or gas lines or whatever it is underground. and i'll have to rent a pole digger thing.... I had one of those tiny picket fence things but it wasn't big enough or strong enough to keep the dogs out. But it was just wire and wood and only two feet high and it didn't go into the ground far enough. I would def do the cement this time around. And then fill the top of the hole back in with dirt so they can't hit their heads on cement. I know it's going to be a ton of work, but i can't afford to hire someone....

thx
Truly Scrumptious 04:38 PM 07-11-2012
Originally Posted by Nickel:
Can I use the picket fence? Are the points allowed? I know that might sound weird, but could the kids get hurt on them? I figure I'll have to do the cement. I'm going to have to have someone come out and check for electric lines or gas lines or whatever it is underground. and i'll have to rent a pole digger thing.... I had one of those tiny picket fence things but it wasn't big enough or strong enough to keep the dogs out. But it was just wire and wood and only two feet high and it didn't go into the ground far enough. I would def do the cement this time around. And then fill the top of the hole back in with dirt so they can't hit their heads on cement. I know it's going to be a ton of work, but i can't afford to hire someone....

thx
A provider friend of mine did this kind of fence a few years ago....she did a pretty good job. She bought the cheapest picket fence panels from Lowes...I think she might have paid like $12 a panel....the top of her pickets were not pointed, they were lobbed off straight across. She did rent a "digger thing" (I know there is a more profesional name for it, but I don't know )
She poured her concrete in the holes around her poles (she used landscaping timbers) and then filled up the hole with water from the hose. She cut one of the picket panels in half to fashion a gate. Seems like the panels were 4ft tall..Since her husband wouldn't help her, this was the easiest way she could think of to do it herself.
Nickel 09:41 PM 07-11-2012
$12 a panel sounds awesome!!! I've looked online and it's so pricey. I'm going to go to lowes and hd tomorrow and start pricing. I need it too look nice since we will be moving next year and selling our house. I mean, I could always dig the poles back out of the ground and bring it with but that would be soooo much work... I love the idea that there is a better option then the prefab panels. I'll check it out tomorrow. Thanks for the encouragement. I want it to look nice and be functional. will let you know how it works out!!!
jlewis 01:37 AM 07-24-2012
I like your idea. It sounds pretty reasonable and I am already curious about the progress of your work. I also need to build a new fence and I am also not sure how I can do this. It should also be cheap and besides this I will not buy the tools I will need but instead use rental power tools which is definitely cheaper. Most of the tools I won't need again and due to this renting is cheaper. Looking forward to your post.
Nickel 10:50 AM 07-24-2012
I ordered all the pieces from Home Depot. I figured I'd need three 8ft wooden premade fence panels one way and 2 8ft panels the other way. Then I got two gates (as per licensing standards) and I bought the nails, fence posts, a level, and decided to get a new drill because the one I have is subpar and I use my drill A LOT! This one is corded so it has more power. I bought a longer tape measurer as well because the one I had was only 12 ft and just wasn't long enough to make the job easier. Then I bought round walkway stones to go from my porch to my fenced area and pea gravel to go around them. and a border. All in all it cost a little under $400. I still have to rent the hole digger. I forget what it's called.

Now I just have to wait until everything gets shipped to the store so I can go pick it up. I have to make several trips because I don't have a truck, but it willl be worth it in the end.

Getting the pavers was funny because the guy said most pavers are a foot a part. I told him it was for my kids area so that wouldn't work. We actually got the stones out on the floor and let my two year old walk on them to measure the distance between each one! lol. I ended up needing 8 of them but I think it's going to look so cute when I'm done. And what I like is that I can easily convert the area into an adult get away if i needed to

I can't wait till it comes in because my dogs are already trying to eat my play mats and they stole all the toys from the sand and water table. He said maybe next week so I am hoping. Good luck with your fence. I'll post photos when I finally get all the materials in and get started.
Indianadaycare 02:42 PM 04-26-2014
Originally Posted by Nickel:
I can't wait till it comes in because my dogs are already trying to eat my play mats and they stole all the toys from the sand and water table. He said maybe next week so I am hoping. Good luck with your fence. I'll post photos when I finally get all the materials in and get started.
How did it turn out?
CraftyMom 04:46 PM 04-26-2014
You can definitely do it! I can't wait to see pics!
SignMeUp 05:17 PM 04-26-2014
It's a pretty old thread.
playdate4 06:41 PM 04-26-2014
No activity since February 2013
CraftyMom 07:05 PM 04-26-2014
I didn't notice, I might be waiting a while!
Reply Up