Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hawaii
NoMoreJuice! 08:59 AM 03-24-2014
I'm seriously considering moving to Hawaii...full time care in a daycare home is going for between 550 and 650 a week for ONE CHILD!! That's between 28,000 and 33,000 for only one child...and you can have 10!

As an added bonus: no more shoveling snow!! Who's in?

Retirement in Hawaii at 40...a girl can dream, right?
SilverSabre25 09:00 AM 03-24-2014
I'll go....
Laurel 09:05 AM 03-24-2014
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
I'm seriously considering moving to Hawaii...full time care in a daycare home is going for between 550 and 650 a week for ONE CHILD!! That's between 28,000 and 33,000 for only one child...and you can have 10!

Check into rent first.
llpa 09:13 AM 03-24-2014
It was 12 degrees at my house this morning and I'm makin a few bucks an hr... Heck YES!!!!
childcaremom 09:14 AM 03-24-2014
Me, me! We are supposed to get 40-50 cm of snow on Wednesday.

Get me out of here
MotherNature 09:26 AM 03-24-2014
I looked on cl-and they're advertising ft and pt rates by the number of days per month. I think that rate is for the month...
Blackcat31 09:27 AM 03-24-2014
Summer weather ALL year??

No thanks....

I'm happy where I am.
Starburst 09:33 AM 03-24-2014
The only thing is that in Hawaii there isn't really a "middle class", you're pretty much either rich or poor.

I had an ex-roommate who was Hawaiian (she also worked as a nanny and was planning on doing family child care) and she would always talk about Hawaiian culture and she said thats one of the main reasons she doesn't live there.
blandino 11:31 AM 03-24-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Summer weather ALL year??

No thanks....

I'm happy where I am.
Ditto. Warm temps and I are not BFFs. I would take the money though.
butterfly 11:38 AM 03-24-2014
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
I looked on cl-and they're advertising ft and pt rates by the number of days per month. I think that rate is for the month...
yep, that's a monthly fee not a weekly fee - but hey, if we're dreaming....
KidGrind 12:05 PM 03-24-2014

If you get there, I’ll be happy for you! With minor children I can’t, the school system sucks there right now.
Unregistered 01:45 PM 03-24-2014
Keep in mind everything in the grocery store starts at minimumof $3.00 per item.Everything not grown on island must be shipped in.
NoMoreJuice! 03:51 PM 03-24-2014
I feel so dumb! I read an ad that said the rates, and that full time was 45 and part time was 25 hours per week. I assumed, because I knew the cost of living can be triple what it is here, that it was a weekly rate (but still thought it sounded too good to be true!). Guess I'll keep dealing with the snow here rather than make peanuts and have to live in a cardboard box there! How can they afford to charge less than I do and pay $6 for a gallon of milk? Crazy.

So my dream is dead. Need a new one.
daycarediva 04:12 PM 03-24-2014
Dang, that stinks it's monthly! It's less than what I charge. I pay $6 for a gallon of organic milk.
sharlan 04:28 PM 03-24-2014
My niece was born and raised there, part Hawaiian.

The cost of living is astronomical. EVERYTHING is so expensive.

The school system is really bad.

I had her for a year while she was in high school and was shocked. I swear they have their own language. I wasn't sure if her spelling or writing was the worst.

It's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there full time unless I was retired with an unlimited income.
daycare 04:44 PM 03-24-2014
I would check the cost of living before you jump on that plane...

and I hope you like super humid all year around. I love hawaii but I could never live there.

I guess you could say that about most places, here in my area dc IS 225-300 a week for daycare but houses start at 650k for a 2 bedroom house.

I have a client who just put her child in private preschool at $25k a year.
Blackcat31 04:48 PM 03-24-2014
I feel so dumb! I read an ad that said the rates, and that full time was 45 and part time was 25 hours per week. I assumed, because I knew the cost of living can be triple what it is here, that it was a weekly rate (but still thought it sounded too good to be true!). Guess I'll keep dealing with the snow here rather than make peanuts and have to live in a cardboard box there! How can they afford to charge less than I do and pay $6 for a gallon of milk? Crazy.

So my dream is dead. Need a new one.
Right now, I just dream about Spring. . I love winter but not if it bleeds into the other seasons.... This has been a loooooong winter. *sigh*
NoMoreJuice! 05:22 PM 03-24-2014
Spring is a realistic dream...I like that one!

I also dream of all my kiddos getting along and not tattling or hitting or lying... better stick with the spring one.

llpa 06:14 AM 03-25-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Right now, I just dream about Spring. . I love winter but not if it bleeds into the other seasons.... This has been a loooooong winter. *sigh*
I guess my picture of Hawaii has gotten a little skewed! So I will take spring too! It's been so pretty and so cold out!!
Tags:hawaii, moving
Reply Up