Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>PA Center-- Tips For Licensing Day
missy 09:04 AM 04-20-2014
Well the big day is coming upon me soon!! I have been setting my center up for months. My worries with PA is that there are so soooo many things that they don't list in their licensing codes (for example, the codes don't even MENTION the kitchen yet I found out very late in the game that I had to spend thousands to get it up to their standards). So suffice to say I am worried.

Anyone have any experience in a PA center/licensing to give me a heads up??
llpa 10:57 AM 04-20-2014
Originally Posted by missy:
Well the big day is coming upon me soon!! I have been setting my center up for months. My worries with PA is that there are so soooo many things that they don't list in their licensing codes (for example, the codes don't even MENTION the kitchen yet I found out very late in the game that I had to spend thousands to get it up to their standards). So suffice to say I am worried.

Anyone have any experience in a PA center/licensing to give me a heads up??
Ok hope this helps... I am in PA. The list of first inspection requirements are in the pre certification workshop booklet on page 65. The items on that page are the only things looked at during first inspection. For Subsequent inspections it's anything goes! The booklet can be found online at www.dpw.state.pa.us the precertification workshop booklet takes you thru each step in the process of opening a center in pa. I just took the inspection list and matched it to the appropriate regulation and made sure I had it right. Then I called to set up the inspection. The part about your kitchen should have been in the pa building code for childcare centers. How exciting for you!!! Are you anywhere near Pittsburgh? Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
missy 09:27 AM 04-23-2014
Thanks for the reply!! Things like the kitchen area are what confuse me---how can they regulate that if it is not even mentioned on the list??

My floor plan is open so I installed vinyl fencing to section off classrooms. It looks so nice! But I thought later to check with an inspector and sure enough the fencing slats are too far apart (again, railing is not mentioned in ch.3270 either just cribs!) They said it is an "entrapment hazard." So I Bought banister guard from www.safebeginnings.com which is a plastic sheet to cover the slats and I secured it over the fencing.. The inspector on the phone said as long as the slats are covered its fine, but I just KNOW they are going to have some sort of issue with it and I am worried. What do you think?

(Oh and just for the record I am not knocking the inspectors at all, they have been very helpful and one is almost always available by phone when I call to ask questions! They are just doing their job!)
llpa 10:19 AM 04-23-2014
I agree , it is completely frustrating! The best thing I did, on the advice of a provider in our area was to hire an architect to come look at the space. He was experienced in childcare spaces and he knew what each inspector would look at and he was right on. He even acted as my liasion beween the inspectors and me. It was the best $1500 I ever spent because of peace of mind. As far as your fence covering, the inspector shldn't have a prob w it unless its foam and the kids could bite it or pick it off. And with the way you secured it, unless what you used is sharp on the edges and could hurt them. Oh! I see you said its a plastic covering. Should be good as long as the kids cant get between the fence and the covering.
missy 11:12 AM 04-23-2014
Wow, sounds like it was $1500 well spent!

I would love to pay a consultant to come check it out, someone who owns daycares and offers that. There is one locally but she can't help because we are technically competitors. I think I checked Pgh already (I am south), but it may be worth checking for someone in your area again.

Thanks for the thoughts and advice! Things have been moving so fast but now i have been waiting just to be able to send in my application--I didn't realize I had to have those nondiscrimination policy statements filed first, my fault totally but it is already delaying my opening:-( Arrgggghhhh
Tags:licensing, pennsylvania
Reply Up