Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Enroll a Child That Is Already in Another Daycare?
LovetheSun 11:15 AM 08-04-2016
Hello!

Hoping for some quick advice. We have a family that will like to come part time (we dont have full time) but their daughter is already enrolled in another daycare part time. So they will like to continue with both daycares.

I feel a little uneasy about it because our daycares are very different and I wonder how the child will react to that. I have some dislike toward the other owner and their program, I try to separate myself from the daycare drama in our area but maybe I am overreacting?

What would you do? At the visit they say they would remove the girl from her previous daycare so we went forward with the enrollment but now they change their mind and I am not sure how to explain to them that it makes me uncomfortable.
MissAnn 11:29 AM 08-04-2016
Why would they do that? It would make me feel like they are comparing to decide which one they like best. It seems like that would be very confusing for the child. Everyone has different rules… How is he supposed to keep track of the rules at home, the rules at the other daycare and the rules at your place? It would bug me if the kid said things like… "Will miss so and so lets me do this."
CityGarden 11:32 AM 08-04-2016
It is not the one you used to work with is it???

Do you have any full time spots opening up? Would they be willing to move to full time if a space did open?

I would explain to the parents that it can be challenging on the child to attend two very different programs with significantly different rules and expectations and you would of course want the child to thrive so can you both partner to find a way to make that possible.

I would not say anything negative about the other provider just that the programs and expectations are different. If pressed state facts i.e. my program is arts based, out routines are XYZ, the academic benchmarks we aim for include ABC, etc.
thrivingchildcarecom 12:25 PM 08-04-2016
I would probably take them on a trial basis at first and I would let them know that upfront since they are the ones who are changing now. That way if you start to have issues you can let them go.
Unregistered 01:06 PM 08-04-2016
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
It is not the one you used to work with is it???

Do you have any full time spots opening up? Would they be willing to move to full time if a space did open?

Ah good memory! I work at that daycare, a few times and didn't like. Is not the one I used to work with regularly for a few years.

They would be willing to move with us full time but that would be a while.

I simply do have much trust in their daycare and provider, and I don't like the idea of it getting mixed up with us in the same time now I am in a complicated situation with them.

Is it unprofessional to change my mind so far in the process? We agreed on this about 4 weeks ago, and the girl is not to start until October.
LovetheSun 01:18 PM 08-04-2016
I didn't realized I didn't log in. And I do fear the girl will be confuse, with all this (plus she has a nanny too!).
Unregistered 01:26 PM 08-04-2016
I had a dck who had several "nannies" plus after he began at my fcc his mom let slip that he was also attending another fcc.

It is a slow boat to h3!! . I recommend not getting on the boat!
childcaremom 01:31 PM 08-04-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I had a dck who had several "nannies" plus after he began at my fcc his mom let slip that he was also attending another fcc.

It is a slow boat to h3!! . I recommend not getting on the boat!

LovetheSun 07:57 PM 08-04-2016
You guys are right. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overreacting but is true that is not a good start.

Thank you!
CityGarden 10:13 PM 08-05-2016
If she is not scheduled to start until October, you would have time to find a replacement for that spot.....

I just don't feel it sets the child up for success. (Or you for that matter)
kendallina 07:17 AM 08-06-2016
I've done this before without any issue. When I ran my preschool part time I had several kids that came to me some days and other providers other days. The other providers were good, high quality places that were somewhat similar to me, so it was no biggie. Also these kids were all 3 yrs old and up.
Reply Up