Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Playing Outside
dcm 02:30 PM 04-08-2014
What do we do when only two of our dck's absolutely don't like playing outside at all?

Our group consists of; myself, my hubby, our two boys (ages 5 and 3), two 4-yr-old dcb's, one 3-yr-old dcg, a 16-month old dcg, two 12-month old's (boy and girl).

One 4 year old boy and the 3 year old girl, complain every single time we go outside. It was shorts and t-shirt weather today, and they were whining that they were cold (pretty sure it was just to complain about something).
We have the Step 2 roller coaster, a basketball hoop, a soccer net, a water table, hoola hoops, sidewalk chalk, slides, picnic table....so there's no shortage of toys to play with.

Our plan for the spring/summer is that we stay outside just after breakfast and parents pick-up in the backyard (830am to 5pm). This is hard when we have to hear the constant whining from the two of them. We are ready to term them just because of this, we told all of the parents in the interview that our family loves the outside and we will be outside all day during the summer but those parents now, complained to us this morning that we were outside too long, and we re-iterated that we play outside, and they kind of rolled their eyes and left. We don't know what to do?
TwinKristi 02:38 PM 04-08-2014
What would they rather they be doing? I've never had anyone complain that we're out TOO long! We would stay outside all day if possible too! But I have mainly DCBs and a tomboy DCG who all love to play outside! Sometimes we come inside because it's too hot! We have a covered deck/patio and it turns into a sauna sometimes! I'm thinking of having dh put up some misters or something to keep cool this summer. We have a portable AC unit we bring in during the summer so we have the option.
But I would talk to the parents about why this is a problem. It seems kids don't have the imagination we did as kids. I loved being outside with friends! What would they rather be doing? Are there activities they like you can move outside?
My3cents 02:55 PM 04-08-2014
Originally Posted by dcm:
What do we do when only two of our dck's absolutely don't like playing outside at all?

Our group consists of; myself, my hubby, our two boys (ages 5 and 3), two 4-yr-old dcb's, one 3-yr-old dcg, a 16-month old dcg, two 12-month old's (boy and girl).

One 4 year old boy and the 3 year old girl, complain every single time we go outside. It was shorts and t-shirt weather today, and they were whining that they were cold (pretty sure it was just to complain about something).
We have the Step 2 roller coaster, a basketball hoop, a soccer net, a water table, hoola hoops, sidewalk chalk, slides, picnic table....so there's no shortage of toys to play with.

Our plan for the spring/summer is that we stay outside just after breakfast and parents pick-up in the backyard (830am to 5pm). This is hard when we have to hear the constant whining from the two of them. We are ready to term them just because of this, we told all of the parents in the interview that our family loves the outside and we will be outside all day during the summer but those parents now, complained to us this morning that we were outside too long, and we re-iterated that we play outside, and they kind of rolled their eyes and left. We don't know what to do?
California? What will you when the temps are too hot to be outside? California can get very very hot.

Your program, your rules. They knew what they signed on for correct? It was made clear that you are outside all day? I wouldn't term and I wouldn't let the kids run my show. I would make sure your using tons of sunscreen, and water is available.

You can tell parents, but if you make a check list and go through it one by one with them having them sign off on it and also giving them a copy of your rules and regulations is your best bet. They were verbally told, they saw it with eyes, and then they touched it by signing it.........only thing left is smell, and taste. I suppose you could cover those two senses at the interview too. Offer an ice tea outside, and wave some sunscreen around or lay it on thicker then norm for the interview.........ok being silly but seriously you have shown them in three different ways, four or five actually and if they don't get it by then, just do your thing and they can choose to jump off or on the sunshine train, but don't allow them to give you any grief over something you clearly went over at your interview. I take it you allow most of the inside toys/activities to go outside?

Good luck, being a bit silly here with lots of truths too. Your home, your program, your rules- so long as your following your states guidelines for licensing you should be good to go-

best-
Play Care 03:43 PM 04-08-2014
Originally Posted by My3cents:
California? What will you when the temps are too hot to be outside? California can get very very hot.

Your program, your rules. They knew what they signed on for correct? It was made clear that you are outside all day? I wouldn't term and I wouldn't let the kids run my show. I would make sure your using tons of sunscreen, and water is available.

You can tell parents, but if you make a check list and go through it one by one with them having them sign off on it and also giving them a copy of your rules and regulations is your best bet. They were verbally told, they saw it with eyes, and then they touched it by signing it.........only thing left is smell, and taste. I suppose you could cover those two senses at the interview too. Offer an ice tea outside, and wave some sunscreen around or lay it on thicker then norm for the interview.........ok being silly but seriously you have shown them in three different ways, four or five actually and if they don't get it by then, just do your thing and they can choose to jump off or on the sunshine train, but don't allow them to give you any grief over something you clearly went over at your interview. I take it you allow most of the inside toys/activities to go outside?

Good luck, being a bit silly here with lots of truths too. Your home, your program, your rules- so long as your following your states guidelines for licensing you should be good to go-

best-
I think the OP is from Canada? Although not sure where in Canada it would have been warm enough today for shirt and shorts today?

In any event I would not entertain the whining. They can play with the toys or they can sit out, their choice.
Scribbles 05:16 PM 04-08-2014
I wish it was shorts weather here

You said you told all the parents that you spend all day out side during the summer time and since it is nowhere near summer yet, especially in Canada maybe they thought it was too long to be outside. The kids might really have been cold. The breeze can be chilly up north. Just trying to think how a parent might see it.
daycare 05:21 PM 04-08-2014
we also have outside all days too, but we do have a small reading center out in the summer time with color books if they wish to just rest in the shade.

I would just have them sit in the shade.

Just curious, do you guys come inside for naps?
dcm 07:02 PM 04-08-2014
Yes, we are in Canada It was 20 degrees Celsius today! Maybe not exactly short weather, but with the sun beaming down, we were all boiling I was outside in a tank top and a long skirt!! All of the kids were wearing a windbreaker jacket, some had wetpants, and all of them were wearing sun hats. The parents provide sunscreen and we apply to all, before we go outside. Kids start getting dropped off between 630am and 7am and by the time breakfast is made, we try to get outside by 9am at the latest. Parents pick up between 5pm and 530pm. We have a large picnic table with a large umbrella that provides shade for the kids, and the water table is there to cool off if needed. We also keep a large jug of ice cold water available at all times (we don't serve juice at our day home, only water and milk w/ meals). The younger ones do go inside to nap, some nap twice a day, some nap once, because my husband and I run it together, one of us supervises the naps and the other one is outside with the rest of the kids.

We do have the kids go sit, if they are disturbing playtime by whining, but most of the time, they voluntarily go sit on the deck steps, just because they don't want to be outside. We go up to them and try to get them involved in the toys/activities, but that usually just makes them whine more because we are not giving in and going inside, I guess. I was tired of seeing the sad faces. The big problem we feel is that kids just don't "play" anymore. The boy likes to talk about video games, (maybe he watches a lot of TV at home), the dck's don't have access to our TV at all, ever.
I mean even inside, the boy and girl, don't "play" much, they will pick up a toy here and there, join us in activities in, etc. but their attention span only lasts for a very short while and they just sit there. Trust me, we try constantly to get them excited, but no. We ask the parents what they do at home, and the one Mom said that it was a lot of activity for their child to take in ?! Huh?! My just turned three year old is more active.

So do we just ignore the whining and keep trying to include them? ...and let them sit if they don't want to be included? Is it okay to spend all day outside? I mean, what's wrong with the fresh air and outdoors!
Crazy8 07:25 PM 04-08-2014
Yes, we are in Canada It was 20 degrees Celsius today! Maybe not exactly short weather, but with the sun beaming down, we were all boiling I was outside in a tank top and a long skirt!! All of the kids were wearing a windbreaker jacket, some had wetpants, and all of them were wearing sun hats. The parents provide sunscreen and we apply to all, before we go outside. Kids start getting dropped off between 630am and 7am and by the time breakfast is made, we try to get outside by 9am at the latest. Parents pick up between 5pm and 530pm. We have a large picnic table with a large umbrella that provides shade for the kids, and the water table is there to cool off if needed. We also keep a large jug of ice cold water available at all times (we don't serve juice at our day home, only water and milk w/ meals). The younger ones do go inside to nap, some nap twice a day, some nap once, because my husband and I run it together, one of us supervises the naps and the other one is outside with the rest of the kids.

We do have the kids go sit, if they are disturbing playtime by whining, but most of the time, they voluntarily go sit on the deck steps, just because they don't want to be outside. We go up to them and try to get them involved in the toys/activities, but that usually just makes them whine more because we are not giving in and going inside, I guess. I was tired of seeing the sad faces. The big problem we feel is that kids just don't "play" anymore. The boy likes to talk about video games, (maybe he watches a lot of TV at home), the dck's don't have access to our TV at all, ever.
I mean even inside, the boy and girl, don't "play" much, they will pick up a toy here and there, join us in activities in, etc. but their attention span only lasts for a very short while and they just sit there. Trust me, we try constantly to get them excited, but no. We ask the parents what they do at home, and the one Mom said that it was a lot of activity for their child to take in ?! Huh?! My just turned three year old is more active.

So do we just ignore the whining and keep trying to include them? ...and let them sit if they don't want to be included? Is it okay to spend all day outside? I mean, what's wrong with the fresh air and outdoors!
You really stay outside from 9am till 5-5:30pm??? Honestly, I think its ok to not be big fan of the outdoors, some people just aren't (I'm not) and you can't change that. Sure we all need fresh air and being outside for a few hours is great and its very beneficial for them to learn to play and such, but for someone who doesn't love it naturally 8 hours is probably just way too much for them. The parents did sign up knowing this so maybe it is time for them to just look for a daycare better suited to their childs personality.
debbiedoeszip 07:38 PM 04-08-2014
A friend, who must live in your general area, was bragging about the beautiful weather and 20C temps. I'm in Ontario and it was only 5C today (brrrrr). I was just happy to be out in a hoody (vs. parka).

<<<Yes, we are in Canada It was 20 degrees Celsius today! Maybe not exactly short weather>>>

It's shorts weather around here when the temps hit about 15C. Mostly teens and YA, but you see lots of people out and about in shorts. Not me, but I'm sensitive to the cold.
Lucy 07:44 PM 04-08-2014
Yes, we are in Canada It was 20 degrees Celsius today! Maybe not exactly short weather, but with the sun beaming down, we were all boiling I was outside in a tank top and a long skirt!!
Must be Western Canada? By my calculations, that would be about 70 F, which is what it was here in the Pacific NW of the US. Lovely!!!!
Meyou 01:41 AM 04-09-2014
It was 19 here on Monday and there were lots of people out in shorts. lol Canadian summer has started!

OP, it sounds more like these kids don't know how to play rather than hating the outside. Have you tried ignoring the whining and just sending them to play toys over and over? Sounds simple enough but often when I stop tolerating "bugging" behavior they give it up. "Go play, whining is all done for today." Repeat. If they want to sit they can but far from you, in the play area somewhere. Also, chronic complainers here must be very tired and need to go rest in their beds. That fixes more problems than I can count. It's amazing how untired, unwhiny and unbored 3 and 4 year olds can be when they resting is the alternative.
Play Care 03:11 AM 04-09-2014
Do you offer any structured outdoor play or is it all free play? Right now we get outside for an hour or so in the morning and a couple of hours in the afternoon. If I were going to have a completely outdoor program I would probably have centers set up outside (and assign children a spot when it was that time) as well as the art and craft, circle time, etc. to break up the day.
Like another poster mentioned, they may just not like being outside - especially if it seems like they don't get out much elsewhere. The parents also may have signed up for your program thinking the kids would get their outdoor time with you, and then they wouldn't have to do it.
It may be time to have a talk with the parents "DCP, as you know when you signed on I made it clear we were an outdoor program. It's been x amount of time and Tommy still seems unhappy when we are outdoors. As the weather gets nicer, we will not be spending *any* time inside." They may have heard you say you were mostly an outdoor program but assumed you meant that you were out for a couple of hours in the morning and afternoon. They may really not know that you meant completely outdoors...
nothingwithoutjoy 03:58 AM 04-09-2014
Is it okay to spend all day outside?
Yes!!

Lots of kids haven't learned how to play outside. Many parents don't value it, or are always rushing here and there, or don't think to get outside with their kids. And, like you said, many kids don't know how to play without being entertained. But they can learn.

I wonder if you have some open-ended things for play: loose parts, mud kitchen, building materials, natural areas... ? Sounds like you have lots of toys, but to get really lost in play for hours, they might need something with richer possibilities. Just a thought that might help. My kids play with toys for only very short times, but play in the mud kitchen or with sticks for ages.
coolconfidentme 04:39 AM 04-09-2014
In the summer we spend as much time outside as weather allows. Last summer I had a DCB who whined & complained about it. I told him if he wanted to complain & be miserable he could do it over there...., alone. (I pointed to the picnic table.) If he wanted to make the best of it he could go over there. (I pointed to where the kids were playing.) When he whined I just pointed to the picnic table. After a few weeks he stopped complaining..., it was getting him know where. Try it, who knows?

If they still complain tell them, "This isn't Disneyland..., The Happiest Place On Earth. It's DAYCARE!"

ps..., Eye rolling is rude & disrespectful. I let the DCKs know its not acceptable behavior here.
Heidi 05:00 AM 04-09-2014
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
Yes!!

Lots of kids haven't learned how to play outside. Many parents don't value it, or are always rushing here and there, or don't think to get outside with their kids. And, like you said, many kids don't know how to play without being entertained. But they can learn.

I wonder if you have some open-ended things for play: loose parts, mud kitchen, building materials, natural areas... ? Sounds like you have lots of toys, but to get really lost in play for hours, they might need something with richer possibilities. Just a thought that might help. My kids play with toys for only very short times, but play in the mud kitchen or with sticks for ages.
Ditto this!

Mine are quite a bit younger, but they are now also adjusting to an almost all outdoor program. I also have a covered porch, so unless it's pouring buckets, we can be outside all day except nap. We COULD do nap outside, but I'm pretty sure it would be way shorter then, and I'm not giving that up.

The first day out, which was Monday, they wandered around looking lost. Yesterday was much better.

Check out the blog "Let the Children Play", and their section "Play Outside!" for ideas. http://www.letthechildrenplay.net/

I was thinking...boys that age= FORTS! Give them fort materials, maybe some kids binoculors (sp). Find some books about "adventures" to read to them to give them ideas (I read at the end of lunch because I have a captive audience, btw).
melskids 05:27 AM 04-09-2014
When the weather cooperates, we are outside all day as well.

Sometimes even for naps.

I have all of the "outdoor" materials, and also set up "stations" like art, science experiments, blocks, etc.

I say let them sit there and pout.

The parents knew your policies when they signed on. If they are no longer happy with the terms, it looks like it would be time for them to look for care elsewhere, providing the proper termination notice.
Blackcat31 06:00 AM 04-09-2014
Originally Posted by melskids:
When the weather cooperates, we are outside all day as well.

Sometimes even for naps.

I have all of the "outdoor" materials, and also set up "stations" like art, science experiments, blocks, etc.

I say let them sit there and pout.

The parents knew your policies when they signed on. If they are no longer happy with the terms, it looks like it would be time for them to look for care elsewhere, providing the proper termination notice.

Yes! ^^ I would LOVE to be outside ALL day!!

Outdoor play isn't always popular for some families. The kids may definitely not have a clue what to do outside if they are an electronically entertained family.

I DO think that you (OP) should have a conversation with the parents about the fact that they knew your policies BEFORE signing on with you and since they agreed to them, they really do need to support your practices.

If they roll their eyes and disregard you I would seriously rethinking wanting to continue having them as clients.

That behavior is downright rude and disrespectful and if the kids see the parents acting that way towards you and/or your DH, the kids will more than likely feel they don't have to respect you either...kwim?
CraftyMom 06:28 AM 04-09-2014
Maybe ask them "what is so fascinating inside? If we were to go inside what would you be doing?" Maybe if there's a specific thing they want to do inside you can bring it outside?

I'm betting they are just the type of kids that don't know how to play or just aren't the out doors type

I would love to have the kids outdoors all day! In warmer weather we are outside A LOT!

There are tons of things the kids can do that don't even involve toys! A favorite here is making "backyard soup" just a big bowl or bucket of water and the kids gather stuff from the yard to make soup. Sand, dirt, flowers, rocks, sticks, whatever they find. I give them big ladles for mixing and scooping

They just need to exercise their imagination a little
Jack Sprat 11:25 AM 04-09-2014
The idea of a child not wanting to be outside is very, very hard for me to grasp....I have had one child who wanted to be inside last summer. I explained that no, that is not an option and you may sit here (chair) and relax if you like but, no we won't be going inside today.

I LOVE being outside and have a hard time stopping our fun to go in for naps. I always do though, I love nap time!
dcm 11:44 AM 04-09-2014
Thank you all, for all of your advice and encouragement! As some of you may have seen, we are new at this, we've only been opened a month My hubby and I can now see that one of the most important things we will have to learn in this new business, is growing a backbone, and not allowing the dcp's and/or dck's to walk all over us.

One of the things that my hubby and I have come to think... is that a lot of the parents are with us for our hours and not what we offer (we don't think they heard much about the outside time in the interview, they probably only heard blah blah blah....open 12 hours a day). Most of our parents only use 10/11 hours a day, but there is the occasional time the kids will be here for close to the 12 hours. Looking at the other dayhome ad's in our area, and from what the parents told us in the interview...we have the longest hours of anyone around.

So one more question....what do we do, if the whining keeps happening and when Mom or Dad come pick up, the kid whines that they had to sit on the steps all day??
Thankfully we haven't heard any whining to Mom or Dad at the door yet (don't know what happens when they get in the car of course).
We want to spend all day outside, but yesterday I gave in to the whining and we came back in after lunch, just because I didn't want them complaining to their parents that they didn't have any fun at daycare. It's not like they did much when they came inside, as I said earlier...they played with a few things and lounged around...every few minutes it seems one of us is saying..."we don't lie down to play, if you want to lie down you can go to sleep w/ the babies"....BUT there was no complaining and when the parents came they WERE happy, so I'm worried what the reaction will be to the parents, if we DO stay outside the WHOLE day.
Luna 11:45 AM 04-09-2014
I have a feeling that if you went inside, those same children would be complaining they were bored. I had one like that, and what he really wanted was to lay on the couch all day and watch tv, like he did at Grandma's before he came here. I would let them sit it out and join in when they feel like it. I like the pp's option of 'go be bored over there or have some fun with the others over there.'
Blackcat31 12:15 PM 04-09-2014
Thank you all, for all of your advice and encouragement! As some of you may have seen, we are new at this, we've only been opened a month My hubby and I can now see that one of the most important things we will have to learn in this new business, is growing a backbone, and not allowing the dcp's and/or dck's to walk all over us.

One of the things that my hubby and I have come to think... is that a lot of the parents are with us for our hours and not what we offer (we don't think they heard much about the outside time in the interview, they probably only heard blah blah blah....open 12 hours a day). Most of our parents only use 10/11 hours a day, but there is the occasional time the kids will be here for close to the 12 hours. Looking at the other dayhome ad's in our area, and from what the parents told us in the interview...we have the longest hours of anyone around.

So one more question....what do we do, if the whining keeps happening and when Mom or Dad come pick up, the kid whines that they had to sit on the steps all day??

I'd let DCD/DCM know that sitting on the steps was a consequence to not listening to you and continuing to whine. He can't really be upset about that because the children DO have a choice...they CAN participate with the outside activities so it isn't like you are forcing anyone to sit on the step just because...kwim?

I would also take any comments or reaction DCD/DCM may have about their kids sitting on the step as an ice breaker to reiterating your policies about playing outside all day.

Thankfully we haven't heard any whining to Mom or Dad at the door yet (don't know what happens when they get in the car of course).
We want to spend all day outside, but yesterday I gave in to the whining and we came back in after lunch, just because I didn't want them complaining to their parents that they didn't have any fun at daycare. It's not like they did much when they came inside, as I said earlier...they played with a few things and lounged around...every few minutes it seems one of us is saying..."we don't lie down to play, if you want to lie down you can go to sleep w/ the babies"....BUT there was no complaining and when the parents came they WERE happy, so I'm worried what the reaction will be to the parents, if we DO stay outside the WHOLE day.
I replied in blue above.

I would also maybe try and talk with the children about playing outside BEFORE hand so they KNOW what to expect and that you are not going to allow them to whine or play indoors so they DO have a choice and it would be sooooo much more fun for them if they made the better choice and participated in the outdoor fun!

Maybe ask them to come up with some ideas on what they would like to do outside...sometimes involving the kids in the planning, the activity and the other stuff is exactly what it takes to pique their interests enough to make them WANT to play outside since everyone is having so much fun!
Heidi 03:54 PM 04-09-2014

"DCB, you know, you CHOSE to sit on the steps. There are lot's of activities in the yard, and sitting on the steps was your decision"
Play Care 04:30 AM 04-10-2014
Originally Posted by :
One of the things that my hubby and I have come to think... is that a lot of the parents are with us for our hours and not what we offer (we don't think they heard much about the outside time in the interview, they probably only heard blah blah blah....open 12 hours a day).
I have said it before - the only thing most parents are looking for is a BABYSITTER to keep their kids safe while they are at work. Period. I used to go all out and offer a preschool curriculum. One day I was lamenting to a parent that we didn't get around to something that was on the school agenda for that day. And she said "Oh, I don't mind. That's why I send him to preschool." Lesson learned.
Tags:outside play
Reply Up