Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help With Special Needs Child
Unregistered 01:02 PM 06-23-2014
I have been watching a 6 year old special needs boy since he was 2 1/2. He is a very sweet boy, but has always been very touchy. He is always wanting to hug or touch someone else (doesn't matter with his hands or feet). It is really bothering the other kids. He doesn't do it as much to the older kids, mainly the ones under 2 I watch. I'm constantly reminding him "short hugs" or "hands/feet to yourself". I try to redirect him but he doesn't stick with things long. I've had the parents bring a favorite stuffed animal but it doesn't help. I was just hoping someone had ideas on how to get him to stop touching so much.
Blackcat31 02:32 PM 06-23-2014
Have you tried using hula hoops to designate visual space for each child?

Sometimes using visual barriers as reminders helps kids understand personal space and how much or little you need to give another person.

How are the parents dealing with it? Usually kids that have these habits do it to everyone in their lives and not just age mates.

If the parents are allowing him to hang on them or touch them frequently like he does others, they need to start setting boundaries for him so he begins to learn what sort of touching is and isn't okay.

Even if he is considered special needs, he can still be in trouble for inappropriate touching of others.
Reply Up