Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Is It Frowned Upon?
happymom 08:04 AM 01-08-2016
My kids go to a daycare center with 100+ kids.

Today my preschooler is sick with a mild fever and achy body. My husband has the luxury of being able to work from home if needed.

I still dropped off my infant at daycare before I came to work this morning.

Is it frowned upon to keep one child in daycare if a parent will be home with the other one?

My preschooler has been sick so often since he started at this daycare. I promote frequent hand washing with him but he still gets sick a lot.
Blackcat31 08:12 AM 01-08-2016
Originally Posted by happymom:
My kids go to a daycare center with 100+ kids.

Today my preschooler is sick with a mild fever and achy body. My husband has the luxury of being able to work from home if needed.

I still dropped off my infant at daycare before I came to work this morning.

Is it frowned upon to keep one child in daycare if a parent will be home with the other one?

My preschooler has been sick so often since he started at this daycare. I promote frequent hand washing with him but he still gets sick a lot.
That depends on ALOT of things.

Etc etc etc...

In some situations, it's not made me think twice at all and in a few, it bothered me so much that I just said no.

So again, it really is dependent on a lot of things that individual to both the family and the provider as well as the kids themselves.

HTH
Play Care 09:03 AM 01-08-2016
It honestly has never bothered me.

When my own kids were little and I closed because one was sick, I always felt bad for the healthy kid.

Of course, my families are all good about keeping sick kids home and picking up quickly if needed due to illness. If that wasn't true I might feel differently.
Thriftylady 09:06 AM 01-08-2016
I am also in the it depends category. Most of my parents right now are pretty awesome and don't "dump" on me so I wouldn't think much of it.
mommyneedsadayoff 09:16 AM 01-08-2016
For me, it really depended on what illness the child had. I personally appreciated them keeping all kids home if one was throwing up or had a stomach bug. IME, once one kid gets it, it seems to pass through most of the family and within a day or so, the other kid would be home sick. If the sibling was brought to daycare, it almost always led to numerous people, myself included, that would end up sick as the illness made its way to all of us. Not always, but enough that I started just saying no. It really depends on the daycare and their policies, though, so maybe just ask them if it bothers them if you are worried about it.
happymom 09:27 AM 01-08-2016
My husband manages a sales service team. So when he works from home is on his phone and computer all day, and my 3 year old is fed and placed in front of the TV with a bucket to throw up in (although lets pray for no pukies this time around).

I'm not familiar with the term "dumping" a child. But my 2 month old being at home as well would make it very difficult for my husband to work from home.

I pay for the full year regardless of sick days/holidays/vacations/etc. But for example, when my infant was born and I was home with him, we still sent my preschooler most days to try to keep him in a routine and adjust to the new baby. Is that bad?
daycare 09:43 AM 01-08-2016
I don't think so.

When I have a child home sick, It's hard for me to give them the extra love and attention they need from me to feel and get well. Even as a DCP, I would have a hard time taking care of more than one child at a time if one of them were ill, so I don't expect a parent to do it either.

However, if it were something that is highly contagious then I would ask for the sibling to stay home, because it's only going to be hours before they get it too. Something like HFM.
auntymimi 10:00 AM 01-08-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:
I don't think so.

When I have a child home sick, It's hard for me to give them the extra love and attention they need from me to feel and get well. Even as a DCP, I would have a hard time taking care of more than one child at a time if one of them were ill, so I don't expect a parent to do it either.

However, if it were something that is highly contagious then I would ask for the sibling to stay home, because it's only going to be hours before they get it too. Something like HFM.
I feel the same way. I dont mind unless its something very contagious/threatening to others in care, especially when I have young babies or kids with compromised immune systems
Blackcat31 10:11 AM 01-08-2016
My husband manages a sales service team. So when he works from home is on his phone and computer all day, and my 3 year old is fed and placed in front of the TV with a bucket to throw up in (although lets pray for no pukies this time around).

I'm not familiar with the term "dumping" a child. But my 2 month old being at home as well would make it very difficult for my husband to work from home.

I pay for the full year regardless of sick days/holidays/vacations/etc. But for example, when my infant was born and I was home with him, we still sent my preschooler most days to try to keep him in a routine and adjust to the new baby. Is that bad?
Nope, not bad at all.

If you aren't familiar with the term "dumping" then you are more than likely NOT a dumper...lol!

I think what you have going on and how you are handling it is perfectly fine.
happymom 10:20 AM 01-08-2016
OK thank you so much!
Thriftylady 10:43 AM 01-08-2016
The fact you are even asking tells me you are likely not a "dumper". Usually dumpers are the ones who just don't want to deal with their kids. They will leave them open to close, go home from work shower, eat whatever run in at the last possible minute to pick up the kiddos, and NEVER keep kiddos home when they have a day off.

That is not the same as taking a half day off work to go to a doctors appointment and leaving kiddo in care for that time,etc as kiddo would be happier here where they can play than at that doctors appointment usually. I also prefer that if it is serious all kiddos stay home to try to keep from passing it, but if it is just a minor thing, they can bring the others.
happymom 11:49 AM 01-08-2016
Oh yeah, I never do that.

If I have errands after work, I pick up my kids and they come with me, or my husband will pick them up instead.

If I get off early, my kids get to come home early, too.

It sounds like my bigger boy at home is feeling a lot better, so hopefully it is one of those things that passes quickly and the baby doesn't get it. I doubt he will, he still has not learned that he has hands and rarely puts them in his mouth
Silly Songs 11:20 AM 01-09-2016
If your children are in a center, it is very common to keep one child home and bring the other to daycare. It happens ALL the time and we don't give it a second thought. We do keep a closer eye on the sib who is with us if the other is home sick. We call parents immediately if the child shows ANY signs of illness. I personally get hyper vigilant around the siblings of a sick child. ( Washing hands more often, not letting them in others face , etc)
KidGrind 06:39 AM 01-13-2016

I don’t think it’s bad as you have explained it.
daycarediva 04:21 AM 01-14-2016
Oh yeah, I never do that.

If I have errands after work, I pick up my kids and they come with me, or my husband will pick them up instead.

If I get off early, my kids get to come home early, too.

It sounds like my bigger boy at home is feeling a lot better, so hopefully it is one of those things that passes quickly and the baby doesn't get it. I doubt he will, he still has not learned that he has hands and rarely puts them in his mouth
happymom, you are soooo not a 'dumper' parent. Like thrifty said, those are the kids there day in and day out. Open to close, no matter what the parent is doing. They give us grief about picking up their sick children, and often dose them with medication and drop them off.

I actually prefer kids to attend during maternity leave, even if they stay home 1-2x/week. It keeps everyone in a good routine.
Reply Up