Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Whoohoo!!!
BGM 09:59 AM 10-09-2017
Well, I just had my inspection, and I KILLED it. First day is October 30th!!

Any tips for DC noob?
amberrose3dg 12:49 PM 10-09-2017
Be firm on your policies. I know first starting out you want to bend over backwards to stay full and not have issues. The truth is the more you bend you will end up breaking. The parents will not fall in line with rules. I have had to terminate on those who wouldn't show up on time repeatedly or follow other rules. Some of my best families just needed to be reminded of rules .
Blackcat31 01:01 PM 10-09-2017
Get paid in advance ~ALWAYS

Offer no discounts ~ ever.

Never confuse "profit" with "personal fulfillment"
Know which you need at which stage in life.

and MOST important: NEVER apologize for meeting your own needs.

That is usually the same advice I would give someone starting out but she worded it in alot less words than I would have.
Blackcat31 01:02 PM 10-09-2017
Originally Posted by KWTR:
Well, I just had my inspection, and I KILLED it. First day is October 30th!!

Any tips for DC noob?
Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Josiegirl 03:35 PM 10-09-2017
Congratulations for sailing over your first hurdle!
BGM 07:15 AM 10-12-2017
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
Be firm on your policies. I know first starting out you want to bend over backwards to stay full and not have issues. The truth is the more you bend you will end up breaking. The parents will not fall in line with rules. I have had to terminate on those who wouldn't show up on time repeatedly or follow other rules. Some of my best families just needed to be reminded of rules .
I totally agree. Fortunately, in WI you had to take a few classes and one included some very helpful daycare-related business lessons. I have a pretty solid 14 page policy that I regularly update. It feels good to be able to fall back on that since the end of it states "not adhering to this policy can lead to termination" or something like that.
The whole reason I'm doing this daycare is so that I can be my own boss and still take care of kids. I used to be a nanny, but the whole bending over backwards thing was taking a toll.

Thanks for the advice!

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Get paid in advance ~ALWAYS

Offer no discounts ~ ever.

Never confuse "profit" with "personal fulfillment"
Know which you need at which stage in life.

and MOST important: NEVER apologize for meeting your own needs.

That is usually the same advice I would give someone starting out but she worded it in alot less words than I would have.
Awesome advice

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Thank you!!!!! I'm excited to finally get started. I'm going to work on some more menus and lesson plans today.

Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Congratulations for sailing over your first hurdle!
Thank you so much!!
midaycare 07:29 AM 10-12-2017
If you haven't already, go through this forum and read it. See what the common issues are and How to prevent them. I did that and avoided 90% of most issues people have. The other 10% is just stuff I needed to experience or am unwilling to do correctly because I lack the courage.
BGM 10:40 AM 10-12-2017
Originally Posted by midaycare:
If you haven't already, go through this forum and read it. See what the common issues are and How to prevent them. I did that and avoided 90% of most issues people have. The other 10% is just stuff I needed to experience or am unwilling to do correctly because I lack the courage.
Totally. I've been lurking on the forum for about a year. haha
Tags:first day - ideas, happy, inspection - first
Reply Up