Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Insurance>Daycare Insurance
TSDaycare 06:56 AM 11-04-2010
Wondering how many carry liability insurance for your daycare? I dont think it is required, just recommended in our state? How much does it cost?

Thanks!
Reply
BentleysBands 07:05 AM 11-04-2010
i use to have it since regular homeowners does not cover but dropped it years ago for many reasons.
Reply
ddnanny13 07:11 AM 11-04-2010
I do carry extra liability insurance. Mine is about $200 a year. I'm in MN, not sure if it varies by state as far as price. The only thing that I have found is that some parents are comforted by me having it. Several have commented that they worry when someone doesn't carry it. Not sure why exactly that is but thought it might help to add...
Reply
momofsix 07:31 AM 11-04-2010
I carry it, my homeowner's found out about my daycare and required that I carry it. They wouldn't cover me so i had to get a separate policy for $350/year. My sister's homeowners added a rider to hers for only $100/year.
Reply
Crystal 12:50 PM 11-04-2010
who do you all have your daycare insurance through? I am looking for new options.
Reply
Blackcat31 12:53 PM 11-04-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
who do you all have your daycare insurance through? I am looking for new options.
Adults and Children's Alliance. Priced reasonably and easy to understand.
http://www.acainc.org/insurance_family.html
Reply
Abigail 10:16 PM 11-04-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Adults and Children's Alliance. Priced reasonably and easy to understand.
http://www.acainc.org/insurance_family.html
Is this only covered in certain states? I don't see North Dakota listed as an application option, but I do know we have things locally. My plan is to call around and ask who specializes in Family Child Care insurance. I was also told by someone in town that you shouldn't advertise that you have insurance because that may draw attention to those who are after money, but I have no experience with that. It's just something I heard from another provider. If they ask tell them, but don't advertise it.
Reply
legomom922 04:46 AM 11-05-2010
I'm not registred, but I carry it anyway just to protect myself in case of an accident, because you just never know! I would rather be safe than sorry, and it also makes me look more business like and professional when parents know I have it. Here, it is really cheap, as I have a daycare rider that I added for $80/YR FOR $300,000 worth of coverage. I would never think of not having it. Sure I would like to not spend the money, but again, just in case, because ya never know what could happen.
Reply
Blackcat31 08:55 AM 11-05-2010
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Is this only covered in certain states? I don't see North Dakota listed as an application option, but I do know we have things locally. My plan is to call around and ask who specializes in Family Child Care insurance. I was also told by someone in town that you shouldn't advertise that you have insurance because that may draw attention to those who are after money, but I have no experience with that. It's just something I heard from another provider. If they ask tell them, but don't advertise it.
Yes, there are only 5 states they do not offer coverage to, I am not sure which ones those are, but I did call my agent and asked about North Dakota and they do cover your state. The reason for the list on the web page is because specific states have specific laws that require a separate application. If your state is not listed as one of them, then you just click the application under "National". Hope this helps.
Reply
safechner 09:09 AM 11-05-2010
I have a question. Is it required to have liability insurance or homeowner insurance in any home daycare in Texas??
Reply
TomCopeland 05:48 PM 11-08-2010
I've posted a national directory of insurance companies offering liability insurance (and other types) to family child care providers at www.nafcc.org. Click on Business Center and scroll down til you see the heading Legal and Insurance.

I wouldn't worry about telling parents you have business liability insurance. It protects them in the sense that your insurance will provide protection and compensation to the parent if their child is injured. If I was a parent using child care I wouldn't take my child to someone who didn't have this insurance.

Insurance policies vary a lot. Essentially you get what you pay for. Those that cost more give you greater coverage. Compare. The cost is 100% tax deductible.
Reply
AfterSchoolMom 06:02 PM 11-08-2010
From what I can tell, these policies are only issued to licensed providers. Can you get one if you are not licensed?
Reply
Abigail 01:54 AM 11-09-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yes, there are only 5 states they do not offer coverage to, I am not sure which ones those are, but I did call my agent and asked about North Dakota and they do cover your state. The reason for the list on the web page is because specific states have specific laws that require a separate application. If your state is not listed as one of them, then you just click the application under "National". Hope this helps.
Thanks! I saw the few states listed and pretty much crossed them off my list. ha ha, ND doesn't have a huge population so I figured they forgot us! LOL
Reply
Lilbutterflie 08:49 AM 01-27-2011
My homeowners insurance policy covers the daycare; but can I deduct it using the time/space %??
Reply
littlemonkeys 09:09 AM 01-27-2011
I do not have Insurance, but I am definitely considering it!
Reply
jenh171 09:12 AM 01-27-2011
I use:
http://www.mazeyinsurance.com/...I chose them because someone told me they were often used for home child care coverage.

it's $500/year.
Reply
jenh171 09:13 AM 01-27-2011
oops:
http://www.mazeyinsurance.com/
Reply
Jewels 09:21 AM 01-27-2011
I have it through state farm, and I have used it once, I had a child break his leg here, and I wasn't liable myself at all, it was a complete accident on the child, as we were at the park, but I figured it could help them with their medical cost, and they ended up getting a check for $1000, so that was pretty cool, now they wouldn't have been able to get anymore....the max they give for an accident is $1000, now Had I been holding the child, and dropped him and he broke his leg, that I believe would have been my liability, and the insurance would have covered everything, I think its stupid not to have it, if a child gets injured and a parent comes back at you and you have no insurance, your looking at a world of hurt! I pay right now $22/month through state farm, but they will only cover up to 6 children in my childcare at a time (does not include my own children), I will probably have to switch come summer, because I will have more kids then.
Reply
snbauser 11:43 AM 01-27-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Adults and Children's Alliance. Priced reasonably and easy to understand.
http://www.acainc.org/insurance_family.html
This is who I have. I have a $1M policy for 12 kids and it covers my teachers. I can't remember exactly how much I pay but it is about $600/year for the coverage I have.
Reply
snbauser 11:52 AM 01-27-2011
Originally Posted by Jewels:
I have it through state farm, and I have used it once, I had a child break his leg here, and I wasn't liable myself at all, it was a complete accident on the child, as we were at the park, but I figured it could help them with their medical cost, and they ended up getting a check for $1000, so that was pretty cool, now they wouldn't have been able to get anymore....the max they give for an accident is $1000, now Had I been holding the child, and dropped him and he broke his leg, that I believe would have been my liability, and the insurance would have covered everything, I think its stupid not to have it, if a child gets injured and a parent comes back at you and you have no insurance, your looking at a world of hurt! I pay right now $22/month through state farm, but they will only cover up to 6 children in my childcare at a time (does not include my own children), I will probably have to switch come summer, because I will have more kids then.
Was kind of policy did you have with State Farm? Is it just an addition to your homeowners/renters policy? I ask because I had our renters policy with State Farm when I was licensed for 6 kids and they covered the kids. When I expanded to 12 kids I was initially told that they would still cover me. Then I was told that they could not cover the daycare kids at all and would only underwrite our renters policy if I proved that I had other coverage for the daycare kids. When I got outside coverage and gave them a copy they then told me that they would not even underwrite our renters policy anymore. Which is really dumb since a renters policy only covers the material in the house and not liability.
Reply
Abigail 11:52 AM 01-27-2011
Wow Jewels, that is very cheap! I have State Farm right now for renters insurance and two vehicle insurances. I bet I could get a discount if I keep them for Child Care, but will wait until the time comes to find out. What a great rate!
Reply
SandeeAR 12:02 PM 01-27-2011
I have a rider to my homeowners. Cost about $100 per year. Farm Bureau
Reply
newtodaycare22 12:35 PM 01-27-2011
I added my coverage onto my home insurance through Travelers, and it's 255 a year.
Reply
Jewels 12:54 PM 01-27-2011
I have umbrella coverage through state farm, but its for childcare, its a $1m dollar policy. I have talked with them a few times on this, I had to fill out a daycare sheet and mail it back....itsnot a bad price
at all.

I honestly don't know if its in addition to my homeowners, all it says is umbrella coverage.
Reply
Tags:insurance
Reply Up