Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Daycare Will Not Allow Early Pick Up - California
Unregistered 12:44 PM 05-20-2016
HI
My son recently started at an in home daycare and he loves the lady and she is great with him. She has strict times which we adhere to but my issue is she will not allow early pick up ( before 5.30) of a child unless he has a medical appointment. She does not allow earlier pick up if the parents finish work at an earlier time full stop. So If I get there early I have to sit in car and wait. The current pick up time suits me but there is the very odd occasion where I may have a half day and want to pick him up but she told me the government does not allow this. This cannot be right can it? The government would stop a parent spending more time with their child?
I do know that she gets an allowance from the government as she provides food so I am thinking the rule is that she needs to have them a certain amount of hours every day to get this .
My son is happy there and I do not want to up root him. I am not even asking for flexibility for more hours I just want to pick him up early once in a while. Any one have any thoughts or advice?
Thriftylady 01:07 PM 05-20-2016
Are you on subsidy? If so that may be what she is thinking but most of those programs require you to be at school or work for them to pay for care. But they only pay when your child is there. The food program doesn't pay that much really, it isn't much of a money maker, just deflects some of the cost of food. The government has nothing to say about when you pick your kids up. I LOVE when parents choose spending time with their kids over leaving them in daycare. I would never tell a parent not to pick up early. Something is fishy with this story.
Blackcat31 01:17 PM 05-20-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Are you on subsidy? If so that may be what she is thinking but most of those programs require you to be at school or work for them to pay for care. But they only pay when your child is there. The food program doesn't pay that much really, it isn't much of a money maker, just deflects some of the cost of food. The government has nothing to say about when you pick your kids up. I LOVE when parents choose spending time with their kids over leaving them in daycare. I would never tell a parent not to pick up early. Something is fishy with this story.
This (bolded above) is not true and HIGHLY dependent on the state program as my state subsidy program allows children to be pick up early without the provider being "punished"with loss of payment.
Thriftylady 02:25 PM 05-20-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This (bolded above) is not true and HIGHLY dependent on the state program as my state subsidy program allows children to be pick up early without the provider being "punished"with loss of payment.
Well that could be. I just know how both the states I have lived in have done it. They both pay hourly while the child is in attendance.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 03:05 PM 05-20-2016
Well that could be. I just know how both the states I have lived in have done it. They both pay hourly while the child is in attendance.
Ohio pays either full time rate or part time rate. no hourly unless it is under 6 hours a week. So generally, no I am happy if a parent picks up early. And when Ohio was hourly, parents had to pick up in a certain time frame from getting off work- so for me they generally had 30 minutes from the time they were off. Just FYI Thriftylady
Thriftylady 03:14 PM 05-20-2016
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
Ohio pays either full time rate or part time rate. no hourly unless it is under 6 hours a week. So generally, no I am happy if a parent picks up early. And when Ohio was hourly, parents had to pick up in a certain time frame from getting off work- so for me they generally had 30 minutes from the time they were off. Just FYI Thriftylady
They told me when I checked on it I would have to put a card reader in for the parents to scan in and out and they would pay for those hours only???
NightOwl 09:05 AM 05-21-2016
Here, the children have to be in attendance a certain number of hours per day to be paid in full, but it's 6 or 8 hours I think. There's no financial reason that I can think of that she would need that child to stay until 530 everyday.
Unregistered 01:19 PM 05-20-2016
Thank you for the reply Thrifylady. No I am not on subsidy. I actually wanted to send my own food in but she did not want that as she prefers to be in control of everything in her home. That I understand as if other kids have allergies etc.. I think she is strict on routine and so she throws the government into the conversation as if we would get in trouble but really it seems to be just her rule. I don't want to upset her as my baby is happy there but this is bothering me. We respect all her rules but I have problems with this one as someone is telling me I cannot spend more time with my baby. I will try to discuss with her again
Thriftylady 02:28 PM 05-20-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thank you for the reply Thrifylady. No I am not on subsidy. I actually wanted to send my own food in but she did not want that as she prefers to be in control of everything in her home. That I understand as if other kids have allergies etc.. I think she is strict on routine and so she throws the government into the conversation as if we would get in trouble but really it seems to be just her rule. I don't want to upset her as my baby is happy there but this is bothering me. We respect all her rules but I have problems with this one as someone is telling me I cannot spend more time with my baby. I will try to discuss with her again
Well I don't allow any outside food, drinks or toys. As a provider, it is just to hard and many licensed providers have in regulations that they have to serve healthy meals and snacks and some parents idea of healthy is cheese crackers, oreos and a "juice" box. That could land a provider in a bind! I don't allow it due to allergies and not wanting sally crying because she has veggies for snack and Jimmy has cookies!

As a parent it would bother me that my provider was lying about something like this. It would bother me mostly because it would make me wonder what else she wasn't being honest about. As a parent and a provider, the most important thing between provider and parent is trust. To me, she would have broken that with her dishonesty.
snbauser 02:35 PM 05-20-2016
As a parent it would bother me that my provider was lying about something like this. It would bother me mostly because it would make me wonder what else she wasn't being honest about. As a parent and a provider, the most important thing between provider and parent is trust. To me, she would have broken that with her dishonesty.
This. Plus I would wonder what was going on there that she didn't want anyone coming until 5:30. I can tell you that in the 13 year I have been doing this job I have NEVER come across a provider who wasn't thrilled to have a parent pick up early....for any reason...as long as it wasn't during naptime.
mommyneedsadayoff 03:04 PM 05-20-2016
Do you pay hourly? That could be the only thing I could think of as to why she would not want you to pick up early. Or if you are trying to pick up at nap time, which I would have issue with, but otherwise, I don't get why she would not be thrilled to have one less kid for a few hours. On a legal note, she can;t withhold your kid from you, so you have every right to pick up early. She also has every right to terminate care because of it, but I wouldn't work with a provider who doesn't want me to get my kid when I am done working. Of all the complaints on this forum, parents not spending enough time with their kid is one of the biggest. Getting off early and going home or shopping for "me" time, instead of picking up your kids, is a hot button issue in daycare.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 03:09 PM 05-20-2016
Originally Posted by snbauser:
This. Plus I would wonder what was going on there that she didn't want anyone coming until 5:30. I can tell you that in the 13 year I have been doing this job I have NEVER come across a provider who wasn't thrilled to have a parent pick up early....for any reason...as long as it wasn't during naptime.
Exactly this. Now, I do discourage naptime drop offs or pick ups because it disrupts naps. However if a parent calls or sends me a message I will tell them fine but stay in the driveway and I will sneak your kid out to you

You should be able to stop AT ANY TIME. My only thing is that if you come up, you need to take your child with you. I did have a mom that was having a very bad time and was very teary one day. She came up had lunch with us and then went back to work. Dd understood she was just "coming for lunch" and enjoyed it said bye mom it is time for mmmy naap!

But, my parents feel welcome whenever they get here.
Blackcat31 01:16 PM 05-20-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
HI
My son recently started at an in home daycare and he loves the lady and she is great with him. She has strict times which we adhere to but my issue is she will not allow early pick up ( before 5.30) of a child unless he has a medical appointment. She does not allow earlier pick up if the parents finish work at an earlier time full stop. So If I get there early I have to sit in car and wait. The current pick up time suits me but there is the very odd occasion where I may have a half day and want to pick him up but she told me the government does not allow this. This cannot be right can it? The government would stop a parent spending more time with their child?
I do know that she gets an allowance from the government as she provides food so I am thinking the rule is that she needs to have them a certain amount of hours every day to get this .
My son is happy there and I do not want to up root him. I am not even asking for flexibility for more hours I just want to pick him up early once in a while. Any one have any thoughts or advice?
NO licensing department has a rule that denies a parent access to their child.

She is not being truthful about that.

As a parent you have a right to free access to your child at ANY time. You may not stay on the property or "visit" but you can certainly show up ANY time and pick up.

The ONLY consequence to random pick ups or an unscheduled pick up is termination from care but that is a provider decision NOT a licensing or government decision.
NightOwl 09:13 AM 05-21-2016
Something is just off with this whole thing. She's lied to you twice about it being a government rule. What "trouble" is she claiming you'll be in? A fine or something?

Something is going on there that she does not want parents walking in on.
snbauser 09:34 AM 05-21-2016
Originally Posted by NightOwl:
Something is going on there that she does not want parents walking in on.
This! Something is really off.

And I honestly would call licensing as well. Not sure that you could do a formal complaint because there is no evidence of any wrong doing but I would at least discuss with them that you are being given grief about picking up early. What would she do if you just showed up early? Because I would be tempted to do just that on numerous occassions to see what's going on.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:47 AM 05-21-2016

And I honestly would call licensing as well. Not sure that you could do a formal complaint because there is no evidence of any wrong doing but I would at least discuss with them that you are being given grief about picking up early. What would she do if you just showed up early? Because I would be tempted to do just that on numerous occassions to see what's going on.
me too!
Mike 09:54 AM 05-21-2016

Count me in on this one. Call licensing and do a stop in and see what she does. Definitely fishy making that much hassle about early pickup.
nannyde 03:19 PM 05-21-2016
Hmmm

Every state requires direct access to child at all times.

She may be staggering pick ups so that she doesn't have parents knowing the real number of kids she has.

She may be leaving the kids at home and doing school runs.

Something is up. Providers want kids gone. As long as she can just toss the kid out the door and doesn't have to spend time conferencing with you... there should never be a problem.
Leigh 05:04 PM 05-21-2016
Some providers don't like early pickups. 99%+ LOVE them. She may just not like having her day disrupted. She may also be hiding something, but I don't know. I'm leaning more toward mentally unstable-she can't possibly believe, or think you would believe, that the government doesn't want you to pick up your child (or that you'll get in trouble with some agency for doing so). Bottom line: I think she's either a liar or crazy.
Rockgirl 09:01 AM 05-24-2016
Good call! Glad you found a new daycare you feel comfortable with.
Tags:california - regulations, early pick up
Reply Up