Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Any Reason I Shouldn't Charge Monthly?
ardeur 05:14 PM 03-13-2017
I am still unlicensed and only providing care for one family right now, and they pay monthly. Not a problem.

I hope to continue requiring monthly payments when I expand and become licensed soon. But I see a lot of caregivers charging weekly or every 2 weeks. Is there a reason for this? I feel like I'd go crazy keeping track of weekly payments and that would only invite more opportunity for late payments.
KristinsHomeCC 05:51 PM 03-13-2017
In my area, only about 1 out of 20 families could pull the whole month up front. I have one family that pays bimonthly and the rest weekly, all living paycheck to paycheck.

If you live in a good, high income area - Id say it's reasonable to atleast break it down to 2 payments per month. I like getting paid weekly, I manage it wayy better in spending habits
KristinsHomeCC 05:53 PM 03-13-2017
Also - I require payments on Fridays by pick up for the following week to avoid late payments. I tend to find the $15/each day its late (i.e. an extra $30 bucks monday morning) does a good job at reminding about payments!
CityGarden 06:06 PM 03-13-2017
I love monthly payments - you could have them on the 15th of the month prior to care (so March 15th for April tuition) instead of on the first as many people have to pay their mortgage/bills/etc at the start of the month.

The down side is some months have more than 4 weeks but I factor that into my rates/vacation time etc..
Unregistered 06:20 PM 03-13-2017
I have always charged monthly since I've been open which is five years. Payments are due by the first of the month. I don't collect a 2 week deposit in case they terminate care at the last minute so being paid monthly takes care of that. In their contract it states no refunds regardless of attendance and rates are not prorated if they terminate care before the end of the month. I have had no problems so far. I do refund if I am the one terminating care that way the family doesn't have any issue they can complain about, plus I no longer need to provide care since I have their money back.
Mike 06:39 PM 03-13-2017
My plans are to offer weekly or monthly, with a small discount on monthly, so if they can afford it, they save money. Monthly makes bookkeeping easier and less collection hassle, so a small discount is worth it.
AmyKidsCo 07:58 PM 03-13-2017
I have 2 rates, one weekly and one monthly. The monthly is 1/12 of the annual total and is a flat rate, regardless of closings, absent days, vacation, etc. The weekly includes pro-rated vacation so parents don't give me a check during my vacation weeks. The annual total for weekly ends up being a little bit more than monthly, to encourage parents to pay monthly. It's nice having less paperwork with monthly payments, but financially it's easier for us to budget weekly ones.
Lil_Diddle 08:00 PM 03-13-2017
I have no problem offering what works for the family, as long as it's upfront. I have a few weekly, one bi-weekly and one monthly. As long as they pay, I know how to budget by knowing what's coming in and what's going out. All my families know that I make deposits on Tuesdays so any scheduled payments that are not in by Tuesday's incur late fees of $5 per day and after day two it is a possibility that I may not provide care. I say possibility because some of my families that I know and trust, I might give them a break, but still charge the late fee.
Blackcat31 06:27 AM 03-14-2017
Originally Posted by Lil_Diddle:
I have no problem offering what works for the family, as long as it's upfront. I have a few weekly, one bi-weekly and one monthly. As long as they pay, I know how to budget by knowing what's coming in and what's going out.
Same here.

I totally understand wanting to be paid monthly but as a parent, that would be a huge selling point (or deterrent) for me when looking for care. There would be no way I would have agreed to or been able to pay on a monthly basis. I would have to pass on a program that required that payment arrangement.

I give parents the option of weekly, bi-weekly or monthly payments. Once they choose an option, they stick to it.

I have 12 families total and budgeting is no problem on my end. I have families that utilize all 3 options for payment.

The only requirements is that payment dates (weekly, bi-weekly etc) remain on the same schedule unless I am provided written notice at least 2 pay period prior to wanting to change and everyone pre-pays. No services are provided without advance payment.

Almost all my parents pay via bank transfers so I don't have to worry about getting to the bank to deposit or having to mobile deposit anything.
LysesKids 06:49 AM 03-14-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have always charged monthly since I've been open which is five years. Payments are due by the first of the month. I don't collect a 2 week deposit in case they terminate care at the last minute so being paid monthly takes care of that. In their contract it states no refunds regardless of attendance and rates are not prorated if they terminate care before the end of the month. I have had no problems so far. I do refund if I am the one terminating care that way the family doesn't have any issue they can complain about, plus I no longer need to provide care since I have their money back.
This is how I do and have for 7 years now... I was told twice that I would flounder because nobody would pay monthly but guess what? I bucked the traditional way & I get better clientel as a perk lol
Kajada 07:27 AM 03-14-2017
In my province, licensed providers must charge monthly. Well, it's actually a 4-week schedule, so that the fee is the same every month. I'm sure most, if not all, non-licenced providers also charge monthly, as it's the norm here.
CityGarden 09:03 AM 03-14-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
This is how I do and have for 7 years now... I was told twice that I would flounder because nobody would pay monthly but guess what? I bucked the traditional way & I get better clientel as a perk lol
I will say that I am building my enrollment slowly - however I am very happy with the clients who have chosen to enroll in my program.
kendallina 09:11 AM 03-14-2017
I charge monthly, but I'm in a town where most people paid monthly ( university), so it works well. I have one family that occassionally asks to pay most of their tuition at the beginning of the month and then the rest of the payment when the dad gets paid ( every two weeks). That works for me, they are long standing family and don't mind doing that for them all.
Controlled Chaos 09:14 AM 03-14-2017
I charge monthly and love it. My parents like not having to remember tuition more than once a month. I like not collecting money constantly. If it was a deal breaker for a potential client, I would probably offer bi monthly with automatic bank transfer.
Jupadia 09:41 AM 03-14-2017
I charge weekly with payment due on last day of care the week prior to care being given for payment. But have parents that will pay a couple weeks at a time, don't care if they pay ahead at all. I know that many of my parents would have a hard time though paying each month.
Ariana 09:47 AM 03-14-2017
I prefer bi-weekly and since payment is usually the same there is really no "keeping track" and it certainly doesn't make it any more complicated in my opinion.

Do whatever works for you and your families!
Tags:monthly payments
Reply Up