Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many Of Your Kids Actually Eat Lunch?
BumbleBee 01:10 PM 06-25-2013
I have 7 kids enrolled. I've listed our mains (13 of them) and how many kids actually eat them. What would you change as far as the mains go?

1: Scalloped potatoes w/ham. (2)

2. Fish (cod or tilapia, breaded or "plain") (5)

3. Hot ham & cheese sandwiches (6)

4. Grilled cheese (6)

5. Taco's (beef, soft & hard shell) (4)

6. Turkey wraps (4)

7. Roast beef (rump roast slow cooked) (3)

8. Cheese ravioli (5)

9. Pancakes (5)

10. Pork chops (2)

11. Spaghetti (6)

12. Baked chicken (5)

13. Pizza (6)
Cradle2crayons 01:27 PM 06-25-2013
All of my kids eat every meal. Although they may not eat ALL of the main dishes they do generally at least eat some of all the mains.

Here are some of my mains in order of popularity:
Alien hot dogs with Alfredo
Ravioli (cheese or beef)
Turkey wraps
Spaghetti
Crock pot chicken or pork chops with gravy
NeedaVaca 01:34 PM 06-25-2013
I think I'm really lucky...I have 5 dck plus my own 2 and no matter what I serve they all eat. I've made some really different things too and same results, they are really good eaters
jenn 01:42 PM 06-25-2013
I don't know if you would ever find a menu full of meals that every kid would eat. I even have some that will eat the main course one time, but then act as if it is poison the next time it is served. I make sure that the meals are filling and healthy, and then it is up to them if they are going to eat it or not.

One thing that seems to help some of my picky ones is we call our food weird things. Broccoli=trees ("Hey giant, Are you going to eat those trees?") Spaghetti=worms ("Hurry and eat those worms before they wiggle off your plate!)
Blackcat31 01:43 PM 06-25-2013
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
I think I'm really lucky...I have 5 dck plus my own 2 and no matter what I serve they all eat. I've made some really different things too and same results, they are really good eaters
Same here. ^^

We eat VERY little pasta, potatoes and/or white rice.....ALL of which I think kids get way too much of. We focus instead on veggies and lean proteins like fish and/or chicken. The grains we do eat are usually wild rice or whole wheat pitas or tortillas. I can't even remember the last time we had bread here.

Today we had, grilled tilapia with lemon sauce, steamed carrots, a whole wheat tortilla and caesar salad. Milk and water. For snack we are having honey dew melon and milk.

I try to really encourage the kids to try something they aren't sure they like or aren't familiar with.

I don't force or make anyone eat anything. It's all up to the child.

Most my kids eat because their peers do. I think peer pressure at this age is a positive thing and can definitely have it's benefits.

I am forever grateful that I have good eaters. I have had a kid or two over the years that barely ate anything but I figure that as always, my job is to serve healthy, fresh lunches and leave the rest to them.

BumbleBee 01:54 PM 06-25-2013
I think more than anything I'm frustrated. I have this group of kids who won't eat fruit or veggies, won't drink milk, so if they don't eat any of the main - they don't eat. I know people say if they don't eat that's their problem. I get it, I do. This group of kids also won't eat breakfast unless it's frosted pop tarts or sugar cereal. Most will eat pm snack, but only if there's crackers involved & I don't let them gorge themselves - they get 1 serving.

Anyways, all that to say I end up with whiney cranky kids who drag b*tt on walks. They complain all the time about being hungry and it just gets old. I simply tell them when the when the next meal/snack is and I don't respond to the whines or the crankiness. This has been ongoing for 6 months now. It's getting old - it really is.

I realize this is now a vent, sorry.
Leanna 02:09 PM 06-25-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Same here. ^^

We eat VERY little pasta, potatoes and/or white rice.....ALL of which I think kids get way too much of. We focus instead on veggies and lean proteins like fish and/or chicken. The grains we do eat are usually wild rice or whole wheat pitas or tortillas. I can't even remember the last time we had bread here.

Today we had, grilled tilapia with lemon sauce, steamed carrots, a whole wheat tortilla and caesar salad. Milk and water. For snack we are having honey dew melon and milk.

I try to really encourage the kids to try something they aren't sure they like or aren't familiar with.

I don't force or make anyone eat anything. It's all up to the child.

Most my kids eat because their peers do. I think peer pressure at this age is a positive thing and can definitely have it's benefits.

I am forever grateful that I have good eaters. I have had a kid or two over the years that barely ate anything but I figure that as always, my job is to serve healthy, fresh lunches and leave the rest to them.

No sandwiches? Ever? Can you share some of your menu?
Unregistered 02:21 PM 06-25-2013
I have 17 children enrolled(12 @a time) They eat EVERYTHING at every meal.
The only reason is because I've had them all either since newborns or under one when you can introduce new foods.
We eat organic,no processed foods. Sone of them do not eat like that at home but I think their bodies crave real food now because come Monday morning they are acting like they are starved.
It will be hard,not impossible but hard to change their eating habits if they are older. We discuss food and the importance of healthy eating and living. healthy lifestyle.
Just keep serving it,it takes over 20 times before a child can begin to acquire a taste for something.
Today we ate homemade hummus and whole wheat pita bread,carrots,cucumbers,watermelon.
Maybe you could start a little garden and get them interested that way too. There are a lot of good ideas on Pinterest too where you can mak the presentation more appealing.
Apples,raisins,celery,carrots don't look too appetizing just thrown on a plate-turn it into a butterfly and voila,it's magic!Lol
Blackcat31 02:26 PM 06-25-2013
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
I think more than anything I'm frustrated. I have this group of kids who won't eat fruit or veggies, won't drink milk, so if they don't eat any of the main - they don't eat. I know people say if they don't eat that's their problem. I get it, I do. This group of kids also won't eat breakfast unless it's frosted pop tarts or sugar cereal. Most will eat pm snack, but only if there's crackers involved & I don't let them gorge themselves - they get 1 serving.

Anyways, all that to say I end up with whiney cranky kids who drag b*tt on walks. They complain all the time about being hungry and it just gets old. I simply tell them when the when the next meal/snack is and I don't respond to the whines or the crankiness. This has been ongoing for 6 months now. It's getting old - it really is.

TOTALLY feel for you.

I can see how that would be a problem. Have you tried asking parents to contribute suggestions as to what their child actually will eat?

I know most will probably say sugar-y stuff or McNasty's but I would ask them for suggestions about healthy things and see what they say.

I also think that a good majority of my kids eat because I also involve them in the preparation of the food too. Like when we have cauliflower, I have the kids help me break up the head into bite size pieces. When we have anything that needs to be mixed, our kitchen helpers for the day get to help mix the ingredients...etc.

When I first opened, I had tons of kids who didn't or wouldn't eat. I stressed over it a lot. I even served some pretty nasty stuff back then....Hamburger Helper, processed canned foods and things like that.

When my DH got diabetes, we (as a family) changed how we ate and I begun to learn a lot more about why we need to eat healthy. Now I try to incorporate those foods into my daycare as well and even though a few kids here and there didn't want to eat, eventually they all did and it was all downhill from there.

When it comes to the walks and activities they complain about.....maybe stop doing them until the kids start eating better....talk with them about why you aren't doing them anymore and that they have to have fuel to do those things and if they aren't going to eat, then they aren't going to get a bunch of fun activities. No clue if that would or wouldn't work...just tossing ideas out there.
Blackcat31 03:03 PM 06-25-2013
Originally Posted by Leanna:
No sandwiches? Ever? Can you share some of your menu?
Not in a really loooong time. I have made sandwiches before but it seems the kids aren't really into bread for some reason so I stopped doing them and now looking back I realize it has been a loooong time.

I'm NOT against bread () but since it really isn't anything the kids really eat, I tend to skip it. I myself, don't eat bread so its easy to eliminate it from our menu. If we do any sandwich type meals, we usually just use pitas or tortillas instead.

This is my menu for this week:

M: chicken tenders (no breading), green beans, fresh broccoli with hummus and whole grain pita chips. Milk and water

T: grilled tilapia with lemon sauce, steamed carrots, a whole wheat tortilla and caesar salad. Milk and water

W: egg white quiche (mini's), spinach salad, carrot sticks and bananas. Milk and water

Th: Homemade mini pizza's on whole wheat tortilla's (we use feta cheese), coleslaw, cucumbers and granny smith apple wedges. Milk and water

Fri: cottage cheese, salami slices, rye crackers, green/red pepper slices, and pineapple tidbits. Milk and water
Unregistered 03:26 PM 06-25-2013
Today I was frustrated with lunch. I made salads for everyone-assorted greens/sweet peppers/apples/cheese.

Right away-I don't like salads started! UUGGHH The one child who liked it and ate about 1/4 and then said I don't want to eat anymore. I know its because of all the other kids and I was not happy.

We had run two errands before this and everyone restaurant we passed the kids identified. The sad part-before we got to the restaurants they would say this is the way to *****. I couldn't believe it. One of them even told me how many of one restaurant we had in town.

Yes, frustration in the food area today!
BumbleBee 05:35 PM 06-25-2013
Thank you for the suggestions. I will keep you all posted with how things go - definately going to try the suggestions and go from there. Thanks again :-)
Laurel 04:11 AM 06-26-2013
Sometimes they'll eat something if they can 'dip' it in something.

Sometimes I also hide things. The other day I made seashell macaroni that had tiny pieces of cauliflower in it. White and white, who knew?

If most of them will eat chicken and fish then I wouldn't worry about variety at the moment. Just pair it with different veggies or even with the same ones over and over if they'll eat it and its healthy.

I have two and one eats great and my grandson eats pretty well. He used to eat great but now is more picky. I make lentil soup that he normally loves but I tried making it another way and it came out kind of thick. He wouldn't eat it and said 'sticky'. Then he ate it once and left the potatoes so the next time I smashed up the potatoes and carrots and he didn't know they were in there and ate it right up.

Also make sure it is cooked well and looks appetizing. I'm sure it is just saying....

Laurel
LK5kids 05:14 AM 06-26-2013
All but one right now. Two are from whole food/organic type homes, the rest are toddlers and one toddler is a bit finicky.

My real fussy one is almost five and from a fruity pebbles home
daycarediva 05:37 AM 06-26-2013
Most of my kids eat most of my food. I always, ALWAYS run out of food because of my great eaters having seconds, so it's not a big deal to me at all

I have 1 super picky sa kiddo, who has sensory issues so I let it pass and in summer/during school breaks he brings a lunch from home and eats during nap.

I also do real food, whole grains, organic and very very little processed food.

Like BC said, I use pitas and wraps in place of bread, except for hot ham & cheese sandwiches, my kiddos LOVE those and we have them about 1x/month.
Heidi 07:58 AM 06-26-2013
I have a suggestion:

Do a "food" unit. Find a bunch of books on how food grows, a few silly books about food (the popcorn shop or green eggs and ham). Have the children help prepare meals, hang up a food pyramid and "my plate", and ask the children to identify what they are eating and what food group it belongs in.

I did this with my kiddos last year, and they loved it. Even the 18 mo's started trying to point out the food groups.

If you don't already serve family style and sit with the kids, this is another way to encourage healthy eating. You can make rules like "start with one spoonful of each", and can help the younger ones. Even if YOU only eat a symbolic amount and then eat again after their napping.
Lefse&Kids 08:00 AM 06-26-2013

The kids here are the exact same way! I can barely take it... I end up throwing away 90% of what I make for them. I set an example and eat healthy in front of them, but that doesn't seem to help. I have managed to switch them from juice to water completely and they no longer whine for pop tarts. Lunch is soooo hard around here.

I don't carry a lot of variety for a reason, but here is what my day looks like for meals...

Breakfast - kids choice of honey cheerios, toast with pb, or oatmeal, and a banana - they ask for chips instead....ugh

Snack - fruit/veggie tray - apples, cheese, celery sticks, carrots, with dips- the only eat the apples and cheese - then ask for more apples and cheese....

Lunch - Swedish meatballs, minestrone, potato soup, grilled cheese, ham subs - they eat the grilled cheese....that's it. then they ask for chips or cookies...ummm nooo, just like yesterday :-)

Snack - my last attempt at getting fruits and veggies in them, and popcorn.

I love some of the ideas on this thread for food - will have to try.

Forgot to say that burritos are frequent as well. Its amazing what veggies you can hide in refried beans. Peppers, carrots, corn, cauliflower, mashed peas, tomatoes. I use a lot of beans for sources of protein, I figure they get enough "meat & potatoes" at home. As long as it has taco flavor to it, the kids will eat it... hope this helps
melilley 11:23 AM 06-26-2013
My kids eat pretty well. I pay attention to what they eat and will make more or less of the foods depending on what they eat, but I always put the minimum for the food program on their plates. I offer at least the minimum and try to make foods that they like, but also make foods that they don't so that they are exposed to them. If they eat they eat, if they don't then they don't. I also try to plan my menu around who is here and what they like, but not always. My kids never tell me that they are hungry, but I also have 2 under the age of 1 and 4 that are 21 months to 2.5 years so they eat almost everything I offer except one child who has a texture aversion-well mom says he does, but he eats some things that she says he won't.
My menu is similar to yours, but I do not serve any sea food. I don't eat it and don't even know how to make it....lol.

Some favorite mains are:
Ham either plain or in a dish such as the scalloped potatoes, Chicken made all different ways, Mac & Cheese, All beef hotdogs (1-2 times a month), Cheese burgers, Tortilla wraps w/turkey and cheese, English muffin pizzas, any breakfast dish especially eggs, Spaghetti/pasta dishes, PB&J (1-2 times a month), just to name a few. What I make also depends on the season. In the winter I made more roast, casserole and crock pot type dishes. I would like a better summer menu, but I try to do as much fresh fruit and veggies as possible.
They will eat all fruits and most veggies, especially frozen peas-we call them power balls...lol
My3cents 04:25 AM 06-27-2013
Originally Posted by jenn:
I don't know if you would ever find a menu full of meals that every kid would eat. I even have some that will eat the main course one time, but then act as if it is poison the next time it is served. I make sure that the meals are filling and healthy, and then it is up to them if they are going to eat it or not.

One thing that seems to help some of my picky ones is we call our food weird things. Broccoli=trees ("Hey giant, Are you going to eat those trees?") Spaghetti=worms ("Hurry and eat those worms before they wiggle off your plate!)
I have a hard time with spaghetti because it was called worms as a child.........just sayin
My3cents 04:28 AM 06-27-2013

Parents are probably giving them a load of milk or breakfast in the morning. Most kids will eat if they are hungry. Breakfast at home is probably very different from breakfast at your house- keep serving it and they will come around, or maybe pass on breakfast and move to morning snack.
My3cents 04:44 AM 06-27-2013
Originally Posted by Laurel:
Sometimes they'll eat something if they can 'dip' it in something.

Sometimes I also hide things. The other day I made seashell macaroni that had tiny pieces of cauliflower in it. White and white, who knew?

If most of them will eat chicken and fish then I wouldn't worry about variety at the moment. Just pair it with different veggies or even with the same ones over and over if they'll eat it and its healthy.

I have two and one eats great and my grandson eats pretty well. He used to eat great but now is more picky. I make lentil soup that he normally loves but I tried making it another way and it came out kind of thick. He wouldn't eat it and said 'sticky'. Then he ate it once and left the potatoes so the next time I smashed up the potatoes and carrots and he didn't know they were in there and ate it right up.

Also make sure it is cooked well and looks appetizing. I'm sure it is just saying....

Laurel
yes,
I don't know if I like the word hide, but I guess it applies. I am not trying to hide stuff but eat healthier or serve healthier foods. I am more a fan of seeing things being ate rather then hiding it and telling them later they ate it. The sneak factor of it. I think kids eat stuff that other people eat and sometimes I think kids just don't like something and that is ok as long as they at least try it.

Anyway- My point to quoting this is that they have pasta that has vegetables servings in it and it taste good. I get the store brand but I have seen it in name brands and can't remember the name of it.
LaLa1923 05:14 AM 06-27-2013
All of my kids eat now since I took out am snack.
Heidi 05:41 AM 06-27-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
All of my kids eat now since I took out am snack.
To the OP, that might be a thought. How many meals do you serve and when?

I serve am snack (which meets requirements for breakfast, usually) at 8:45/9
Lunch is at 11:45/12:00
Snack: 3:30 or so.

Those are start times, and we usually sit there for 20-30 minutes

Everyone dishes up (some I do, the older ones self-serve), and then we wait until everyone has their food. Then we say "Bon Apetit'" well, now it's "Bon Apetit', now we can eat" because some of my kiddos rhymed that.

You could also do a prayer, or say "enjoy you meal" in another language.

We sit and chat while we eat, and the children ask to be excused when the meal is over. At lunch, I usually read a story as people are finishing up, although with 2 babies to feed, lately that's fallen by the wayside.
Tags:lunch, meal pricing
Reply Up