Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does Your State Require A Published Address?
Leigh 09:41 AM 01-31-2014
My state published my address on their website and printed materials that list FCC's in my area. It wouldn't be an issue, but I am a foster parent, and sometimes have kids of very violent, and sometimes mentally unstable people.

I called them, and they said it MUST be published so that parents know what area of town I am located in. I said that I'd rather they list the area, or even just the street without my house number for the safety of the children within. They refuse.

I plan to contact my local legislators about this, because I feel that it's unsafe. Does anyone else's state require this? Am I overreacting?
Annalee 09:46 AM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
My state published my address on their website and printed materials that list FCC's in my area. It wouldn't be an issue, but I am a foster parent, and sometimes have kids of very violent, and sometimes mentally unstable people.

I called them, and they said it MUST be published so that parents know what area of town I am located in. I said that I'd rather they list the area, or even just the street without my house number for the safety of the children within. They refuse.

I plan to contact my local legislators about this, because I feel that it's unsafe. Does anyone else's state require this? Am I overreacting?
Online TN list address, phone, star rating, and providers just received word our licensing visit forms will be listed online as well......violations/civil penalties will be public.
daycarediva 09:47 AM 01-31-2014
Mine does as well. I do believe I can put a request in writing to remove it.

I TOTALLY understand your situation. We were foster parents for a while and it's nerve wracking. We also had an unlisted number and didn't put our name on the mailbox or anything identifying.
Laurel 09:55 AM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by dapb45:
Online TN list address, phone, star rating, and providers just received word our licensing visit forms will be listed online as well......violations/civil penalties will be public.
Ours has been like that for years (except we don't have stars program). We, as a group, fought it but lost.

It seems they should make an exception for a good reason such as OP's though.

Laurel
Leigh 10:09 AM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Mine does as well. I do believe I can put a request in writing to remove it.

I TOTALLY understand your situation. We were foster parents for a while and it's nerve wracking. We also had an unlisted number and didn't put our name on the mailbox or anything identifying.
Same here, we even took the numbers off our house. The kids here now have VERY dangerous people involved in their lives, so this issue has really started to bother me again. The parents have our names, but would have had to work hard to find our address, now they can just google me. Because of the kids, a gun is out of the question, so I feel pretty helpless if something were to happen (aside from the wasp spray I keep above the fridge-it's the only "weapon" I could think of!).
butterfly 10:17 AM 01-31-2014
Required here too. Also a former foster parent. I would suggest that if the children's family history is that scary, you should have the kids moved to another home. It's too much of a risk for you, the kids and the dcks.
Cat Herder 10:33 AM 01-31-2014
Mine does too along with a lovely google maps app that let's them see my house.

I am a little %!$$&@ about that.
Annalee 10:36 AM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Mine does too along with a lovely google maps app that let's them see my house.

I am a little %!$$&@ about that.
The map is on our state website as well.
Leigh 10:41 AM 01-31-2014
It really irks me, too. I simply don't understand why is it "necessary". My clients know where I live. They're the only ones that have to know.
jenboo 11:00 AM 01-31-2014
Same here. Address, phone number, name and hours im open.
GKJNIGMN 01:43 PM 01-31-2014
My local agency will let us only list an area or nearest major intersection if we want. I gave my actual address but when we start getting foster placements after school lets out I may call and request a change to that now that you mention it.

I am sorry won't let you do the same. There really isn't much of a need for the address to be publicly listed. If someone drops their child off at your house and somehow manages to forget where it is, I really doubt they are going to use the website rather than calling you anyway lol
Blackcat31 01:54 PM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:

Our state publically lists ALL facilities that are licensed through DHS.

This includes, group homes, adult care homes, child care home/centers, foster care homes etc....

I see why it would be a bit unnerving if you have foster children with violent or "scary" parents/families but how would any of them know which foster home the child is placed in?

We have situations too where the family that lost temp or permanent custody might be "scary" but in those cases any and all visitation between the child and the family is done at the "Family Safety Center" which is designed for child custody exchanges and visits when neither party wishes for the other party to know where they live.

So I am thinking that there really shouldn't be a way for a "scary" family to know their child was placed with you....kwim?
Leigh 04:21 PM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Our state publically lists ALL facilities that are licensed through DHS.

This includes, group homes, adult care homes, child care home/centers, foster care homes etc....

I see why it would be a bit unnerving if you have foster children with violent or "scary" parents/families but how would any of them know which foster home the child is placed in?

We have situations too where the family that lost temp or permanent custody might be "scary" but in those cases any and all visitation between the child and the family is done at the "Family Safety Center" which is designed for child custody exchanges and visits when neither party wishes for the other party to know where they live.

So I am thinking that there really shouldn't be a way for a "scary" family to know their child was placed with you....kwim?
My state gives them my name AND I have to meet with the parents in person (at the CPS offices). WHY? I wish I knew. I haven't had a placement whose family I was worried about before-my last foster child's mom was very nice, she was just young and dumb and mentally ill.

Thank God that my families support me doing foster care, and haven't dropped out yet (and indicated that they wouldn't) when I gave them the short version of what's going on. They all sign a form in my handbook acknowledging that foster kids come and go from here, and while I don't take kids labeled violent, with past sexual abuse (offender or victim), or other potentially risky kids, that there may be a small risk (and with good supervision, that's a very small risk).
Tags:emergency preparedness plan, privacy, safety issues, shelter in place, state publishing address
Reply Up