Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Home Daycare Providers: Would You "Work With" A Center?
Sugar Magnolia 04:15 PM 07-12-2011
I have been trying to think of new ways to get new clients, and I wanted some feedback from home daycare providers before I started making calls locally. There are not many centers that take infants around here, the ones that do tend to be large corporate type centers. Personally, I think infants are better off in home daycares. More personal attention, less sickness exposure, no staff turnover, just a nicer and safer environment for little babies. As home providers, do you find a lot of kids "age out" around 3? If parents ask you for referrals to centers when children get older, do you give them???? If a center director contacted you offering information about a center, would you be offended?
Here's the thing...I've had a lot of parents enroll because their 2-3 year olds have "aged out" of home daycares and they were looking for a preschool environment. We are a SMALL center, just 15 kids maximum, so we appeal to kids/parents that have been in home daycares, because they like our home-like environment and preschool structure. We also enroll a lot of kids whose parents were fed up with large centers due to staff turnover, poor supervision, etc.
So would you (home dc) providers be offended by a center approaching you with a brochure, or would you be willing to listen and accept the information? I don't want to "put off" home providers and waste their time or mine. Would a "finders fee" help your decision to refer people to a center? Say...$100 for every client they referred that signed up? Have YOU ever been asked by a parent to suggest a center preschool? If so, what was your reaction?
nannyde 04:25 PM 07-12-2011
I want the kid to age five so I wouldn't be in the business of advertising centers.

I don't have kids leaving to go to preschool because there isn't anything out there that is better than staying here.... IMHO.

Give me your kid from birth to the age of five and I will give you a kid that is done with Kindy before they even start.
Country Kids 04:53 PM 07-12-2011
None of my children age out till 6th grade unless the parents move or something like that. I offer preschool here so unless they are wanting to pay the "Big Bucks" for the same thing at a center I have them all the way till they are 11.

I also do not accept children under the age of two so I receive no calls for infants.
Sugar Magnolia 04:54 PM 07-12-2011
Thanks Nannyde, I'm sure nobody leaves your awesome place!!! Yeah I figured competition is competition and hdc's would be put off. Wondering if some hdc's JUST do infants and toddlers? Does anyone here just do little ones? Hmm probably not, guess that wouldn't make much sense. Just trying to get the hdc perspective.... I know there's a lot of negative perceptions about centers, but most of that is earned by the large places.
Sugar Magnolia 05:02 PM 07-12-2011
Thanks Country, appreciate the feedback!
nannyde 05:20 PM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Thanks Nannyde, I'm sure nobody leaves your awesome place!!! Yeah I figured competition is competition and hdc's would be put off. Wondering if some hdc's JUST do infants and toddlers? Does anyone here just do little ones? Hmm probably not, guess that wouldn't make much sense. Just trying to get the hdc perspective.... I know there's a lot of negative perceptions about centers, but most of that is earned by the large places.
It's the same thing as centers...... the money is in the older kids because you can only have a limited number of babies. I can have eight kids over the age of two but I can't have more than four under two.
Michelle 05:25 PM 07-12-2011
Why would we go through the hard work of taking care of the infants and 2's to just give them to center's? 3's and 4's are the fun years!
Sugar Magnolia 05:37 PM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
Why would we go through the hard work of taking care of the infants and 2's to just give them to center's? 3's and 4's are the fun years!
Yeah good point! hmmm I guess I need to go back to the drawing board.
PolarCare 05:41 PM 07-12-2011
I don't take the little ones at all. The only way I'll take one under Kindergarten age is if I have their school aged siblings enrolled and even then I don't take babies, and I don't take kids that aren't toilet trained. I'm just not set up for it and there's a high enough demand for care here that I don't have to take them to stay as full as I want to be.
Sugar Magnolia 05:51 PM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by PolarCare:
I don't take the little ones at all. The only way I'll take one under Kindergarten age is if I have their school aged siblings enrolled and even then I don't take babies, and I don't take kids that aren't toilet trained. I'm just not set up for it and there's a high enough demand for care here that I don't have to take them to stay as full as I want to be.
So you mostly do before and after care for school agers? Oh and can you please send some Alaska air to FL please?
cheerfuldom 05:58 PM 07-12-2011
There are small daycares here that do babies (under 2) only so its worth a shot just to put out some feelers and see what happens. Whats the harm in asking a few local places?
Sugar Magnolia 05:59 PM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
It's the same thing as centers...... the money is in the older kids because you can only have a limited number of babies. I can have eight kids over the age of two but I can't have more than four under two.
Warning: the following statement is a BIG FAT JOKE!

Omg you are in this for money? How dare you! I think I'm gonna go to some meetings and complain about all you heartless money grubbers on here! You need to be monitored!
JUST KIDDING!!! Sorry I was channeling Laurasophia, the "work for free" drama queen! LOL! Couldn't resist.
PolarCare 06:00 PM 07-12-2011
The family that is starting in August is 4 elementary school aged kiddos that go to the same school as my elementary school kids. I know the family, and they're good parents. They won't be here before school, because their mom goes in later after they're in school, and dad gets off earlier, so they'll only be here 1.5 hours a day unless there's an inservice day.

I wish I could send you some air and you could send me some sun. It rained all day and my hens' feet are wet! They're madder than...well....a bunch of old wet hens!
Sugar Magnolia 06:03 PM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
There are small daycares here that do babies (under 2) only so its worth a shot just to put out some feelers and see what happens. Whats the harm in asking a few local places?
I thought the idea had potential, but I just didn't want to offend any HDC's...I want to work with them, not against them. The line between competition and mutual help is a fine one...
victorial 06:16 PM 07-12-2011
I'm getting in a little late here but wanted to share...

Look for homes that provide 2nd/3rd shift care. That is what I do and I work with a spectacular local center. They refer their very early drop offs to me and I funnel my 3rd shift kids there for the parents state subsidized sleep time. Mutually beneficial. They get clients that they would have to pass up because they don't open till 5am. I get to close by 9am.

Yes. The referral fee is appreciated/expected if this relationship is only going one way. I pay $100 referral fee to centers or individuals. Whoever is responsible for the referral.
Sugar Magnolia 06:17 PM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by PolarCare:
The family that is starting in August is 4 elementary school aged kiddos that go to the same school as my elementary school kids. I know the family, and they're good parents. They won't be here before school, because their mom goes in later after they're in school, and dad gets off earlier, so they'll only be here 1.5 hours a day unless there's an inservice day.

I wish I could send you some air and you could send me some sun. It rained all day and my hens' feet are wet! They're madder than...well....a bunch of old wet hens!
Oh no! Mad wet hens! Lol! We are on the Gulf of Mexico, and it rains nearly every single day, around 4pm, and its over in 20 mins. Then its a steam bath! Ugh! Double up, ugh ugh.
Sugar Magnolia 06:22 PM 07-12-2011
Thank you Victoria! That is a good idea, I like it! Yeah I am so willing to pay for refferals, $ well spent, more productive than advertising sometimes! Thanks for the feedback!
CheekyChick 06:53 PM 07-12-2011
I run a certified (in home) center. We have an infant and preschool room. We teach a preschool program which rivals anything in our city. I would be very offended (or sad) if my DP's asked for my input/suggestion for a preschool.

With that said, there are many HDC's that don't offer a preschool program and I'm sure they would love to earn $100.00 per referral. If I didn't teach preschool and someone offered me a finder's fee, I'd jump on it.
laundrymom 08:31 PM 07-12-2011
Lolol old wet hens! Lol. Ok. It's 1130 at night, I'm catching up on DVR'ed josh gates ( destination truth) and waiting on towels in the washer and sneaking my fav treat, maple sugar oatmeal,.... Relaxing by myself,.... And now! I have oatmeal all over the couch!!!!! I laughed and coughed, choked and made a mess!!!!!! Lol, someone needs to volunteer to help clean! Lolol
Sugar Magnolia 08:38 PM 07-12-2011
LOL Laundrymom!!! Head over to "weirdos and red flags" thread for some more oatmeal-spewing wit! (Handing you paper towels)
daycare 08:55 PM 07-12-2011
I have not read every response however, I would be interested in something like this. I also teach a preschool/kinder ready program!
But I have had several kids in the past that I feel would have been way better off in a center or a place with more supervision/Helpers.
Somd children that didnt do well here i had to term. I have always wanted a place to send these type of kids to. I believe that there is a place for everyone and it's not always my house.
Sugar Magnolia 08:55 PM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
With that said, there are many HDC's that don't offer a preschool program and I'm sure they would love to earn $100.00 per referral. If I didn't teach preschool and someone offered me a finder's fee, I'd jump on it.
Yes, Cheeky this! That's who I'd like to reach....but how?

I like all the suggestions folks, and appreciate the honesty.
Cat Herder 04:55 AM 07-13-2011
I only have newborn to 4 years. I send all of my clients to a local center here when they turn 4. Only one out of the last 14 went somewhere else. None have pulled out from there before going to kindergarten.

I checked her out myself after meeting her in a local training class. Her personality and ideas from class won me over. It cracks me up that we have the same last name. Half the town thinks we are related, I just leave it that way...

She has an amazing free (govt sponsored) pre-school/pre-k program until noon. She also is set up better for that age than I ever could be with the funds from that grant. I LIKE for my kids to go to her because I know they will love it. The commercial playground, the performance stage, the cafeteria, the gym.... In my dreams!!!

We start with transitioning a couple days a week and gradually add another day each week until they don't come back (3-4 weeks total).

The only "perk" I get is that she guarantees my clients my rate for 12 months after they leave and she grants me access to the "parents" area of her website so I can see their happy photos.

Now, all the calls I have LOOKING for care that I have not accepted I refer to the other family/group homes if they are under 3. Over 3 gets referred to the above center. It is just my personal preference, everyone has one.
Pammie 06:22 AM 07-13-2011
Personally, I think that if you approach home daycare providers that only care for infants/toddlers, they would be very happy to work with you. I know several providers around here that only do infant care - and they are always happy to hand out referrals to their clients that age-out of their program.

Perhaps if you started by contacting your local licensing for a list of "infant only" caregivers, you could just put some feelers out to them. I know that I would be happy to receive a referral bonus by simply giving out info.

I gave up the battle long ago of trying to convince parents of 3s and 4s that it was beneficial to stay in a home daycare rather than move their child to a traditional prek. Many parents are worried that their child will be behind their peers if they don't have a year or two of preK before starting kindergarten. I have had clients that ask for my opinion about area preschools when their children reach 3-4yo - and I'm happy to tell them what I know about each of the programs that they ask about.

Bottom line I guess is that you may meet with some resistance from SOME home providers about giving referrals out for you - but there are probably some that would gladly accept the referral bonus to move a child out of their care to make room for an infant. It's certainly worth a try! All they can say is "no".

JMO - Good Luck!!!!!!!!!
Sugar Magnolia 09:43 AM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I only have newborn to 4 years. I send all of my clients to a local center here when they turn 4. Only one out of the last 14 went somewhere else. None have pulled out from there before going to kindergarten.

I checked her out myself after meeting her in a local training class. Her personality and ideas from class won me over. It cracks me up that we have the same last name. Half the town thinks we are related, I just leave it that way...

She has an amazing free (govt sponsored) pre-school/pre-k program until noon. She also is set up better for that age than I ever could be with the funds from that grant. I LIKE for my kids to go to her because I know they will love it. The commercial playground, the performance stage, the cafeteria, the gym.... In my dreams!!!

We start with transitioning a couple days a week and gradually add another day each week until they don't come back (3-4 weeks total).

The only "perk" I get is that she guarantees my clients my rate for 12 months after they leave and she grants me access to the "parents" area of her website so I can see their happy photos.

Now, all the calls I have LOOKING for care that I have not accepted I refer to the other family/group homes if they are under 3. Over 3 gets referred to the above center. It is just my personal preference, everyone has one.
Oh Cat, that's a good idea! Yes, invite them to come see for themselves, like an "open house". Thanks Cat!!
Sugar Magnolia 09:46 AM 07-13-2011
Thanks Pammie!! I appreciate your support and feedback!
Sugar Magnolia 11:40 AM 07-18-2011
Wow, scratch THAT idea! I called a lady in the neighborhood, she was listed as doing "infants only". Omg, she was sooooo rude! Before I even completed my inroduction she says "get to the point, what do you want?" I mentioned I was "giving out referal bonuses to anyone who...." "Keep your money and mind your own d##n business." Click. I am not mad, just hurt. Why so much negativity in the world?!? I get calls from sales reps, etc, all the time and I always let them speak and am always polite when I say no, even if I'm busy. Hurt.
Christian Mother 01:27 PM 07-18-2011
I think I might be interested in doing something like that. I have been in daycare for 17 yrs now but have only been a Inhome daycare provider for 2 1/2. I started out w/just infant and now they are all 2 1/2. I will get another infant who is a sibling in Dec. One of my dcp's would like to place there child in a preschool next yr. I am not worried or feel bad about it as he's a very gifted child and could benefit from a preschool setting. My house isn't set up for a preschool setting although I'd like to say I give them a head start when entering into a preschool setting as they will have already learned there numbers to 10, all there primary colors, ABC's, and a lot of nursery rhymes and songs. They will have learned there please and thank you's and how to be nice by sharing and cleaning up there toys. That is what we focus mainly on here. There are quite a few daycare centers and Montessori schools to choose from so if one approached me would like to be recommending I would def. consider if I was able to view, get inform. directly, and a finders fee would be welcomed of course. I am sure though that these parents though will have a pretty good ideal already as to where they would like there "Little's" to go.
Sugar Magnolia 03:35 PM 07-18-2011
Thanks Christian! It sounds like such a good idea, on paper! When it came down to making some calls, I was so disappointed with the response I got Maybe it was just bad luck that I picked that particular "infants only" lovely lady.
Sure, I understand home providers that do newborns, infants, toddlers, AND 3-5 years (Nanny and Cat for example) that have no use for center referals. But gosh, this lady was so rude, like "how DARE you" attitude. Yikes, so discouraged now
familyschoolcare 04:39 PM 07-18-2011
to sugar,

Would you be willing to work with a family day care provider that specialized in school aged children?
Sugar Magnolia 07:01 PM 07-18-2011
Originally Posted by joynerportia@yahoo:
to sugar,

Would you be willing to work with a family day care provider that specialized in school aged children?
Absolutely. I don't do school age and have two elementary schools within 3 blocks (one is charter school directly next door). So I get calls ALL THE TIME for before/after care. Yes, I'd be thrilled to refer the school agers to a nearby home daycare.
familyschoolcare 07:19 PM 07-18-2011
To bad we are on opposite ends of the country.
Tags:advertise, marketing
Reply Up