Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help with Sign Decision
beachgrl 10:20 AM 09-09-2011
Hey all, I am new to this and am trying to get some advertisement out there and was looking at getting a sign done, a person I know that does vinyl signs sent me a design for a 24" X 36" sign that can sit level with the ground or a few feet off and I really like what they came up with, but they want $400 for it? That is more than I can spend right now but maybe once I am established and running well as far as the $ goes.

I was designing a large lawn sign on vistaprint that has the same logo as my business cards and front and back would only be $15 plus shipping, but I was thinking of using a logo design company my hubby used for his business that will do 4 logos by 4 designers for $29 and if you don't like any of them or don't want to use them, you get the money back. If you do and you want to go with them, an additional $70 gets you your design and unlimited revisions to it until you are satisfied with it. They also have a business package for the same price that costs $99 so would be the same, and you get pretty much every digital file you would need for print, web, etc and it is yours as far as ownership goes.

I figured if I did that, I could wait and use the logo on my sign that I ordered and on tshirts, my website and virtually anything else I want to so they will all be similar, either way I would come out a lot less than the $400 and prolly get a similar design if not one I may like better.

Decisions Decisions, I just want a sign in my yard lol!
TBird 11:33 AM 09-09-2011
Okay...this may not even answer your question but I'll tell you what I decided to do.

I got the quality "designed" sign for my property (I like this one to stay on the property so I can watch it). I think they charged a setup fee (can't remember what it was) and then the revisions and a completed sign for an additional $75.

I got the large "cheap" sign off of Vista Print for the end of my road down by the light. I've seen some signs posted down there and no one seems to bother them, but if they do I didn't spend an arm & a leg so I won't die over it, LOL!
beachgrl 12:18 PM 09-09-2011
Originally Posted by TBird:
Okay...this may not even answer your question but I'll tell you what I decided to do.

I got the quality "designed" sign for my property (I like this one to stay on the property so I can watch it). I think they charged a setup fee (can't remember what it was) and then the revisions and a completed sign for an additional $75.

I got the large "cheap" sign off of Vista Print for the end of my road down by the light. I've seen some signs posted down there and no one seems to bother them, but if they do I didn't spend an arm & a leg so I won't die over it, LOL!
Did you use a local company to do your yard sign or get an online company that did it for that? Was the $75 just for the sign completed, that's not bad. What sz is yours? Did that include your rights to the design and use of it I assume? I'd love something in that range for a quality sign.. $400 is just way outta my spending range right now..
Thanks!
JaydensMommy 12:24 PM 09-09-2011
I have the Vistaprint lawn sign and it has by far been the best form of advertisement. Most of my kids are kids from my neighborhood that have driven by and seen my sign. I do live on one of the main roads in my neighborhood so that helps. I may eventually invest in a nicer sign. But for now the vistaprint sign works just fine.
DragonTears 02:22 PM 09-09-2011
Due to lack of funds, I went with the cheapest method possible. I grabbed some of our old Yard Sale signs from a couple years ago (these are the plastic white ones that have the little metal posts you shove into the edge of the sign) and I painted both sides a sky blue, then painted a rainbow and clouds, then in black paint I simply painted DAYCARE and my phone number underneath it Easy and cheap!!!
TBird 02:39 PM 09-09-2011
Originally Posted by beachgrl:
Did you use a local company to do your yard sign or get an online company that did it for that? Was the $75 just for the sign completed, that's not bad. What sz is yours? Did that include your rights to the design and use of it I assume? I'd love something in that range for a quality sign.. $400 is just way outta my spending range right now..
Thanks!
This was a "chain" sign company I believe...they're called FastSigns. They charged me a fee for setup...I want to say $25 or $30 and then $75 for the completed design. They had WAY too many designs and books for me to look through but I think the sign came out REALLY nice...it's a nice size (I'd call it large - don't think I got any rights or anything) green like a chalkboard with kid-like lettering, Family Daycare & Preschool, my hours & my phone number (didn't have my website up at the time). I've gotten one client from it so far.
beachgrl 08:47 PM 09-09-2011
Now I'm wondering if I can find something at michael's craft store or elsewhere and make my own....hmmm
Crazy8 07:28 PM 09-10-2011
I went thru this recently - not with just a sign but with the whole design a logo or not thing.

I ended up not going with any because the person I "hired" from Etsy to make my logo was coming up with junk I had already tried myself. I ended up getting refunded my $50. I think the 4 designs for $29 is a really good price. I had seen websites (I think Michael gave me the links) where the minimum was about $150 and you had to pay up front - had no clue if you'd like what they came up with. I didn't want to risk it.

So I am doing a basic vistaprint design (see my thread from a few days ago with all the business card designs in it, LOL). I did have a vinyl sign made from them for our soccer team and it was good quality. I would absolutely use them again. I have a thing about signs on my lawn/house though - I am afraid of that type of advertising saying I am a woman home alone all day with a bunch of little ones.
Tags:advertising ideas, marketing, signs
Reply Up