Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>If You Use Mostly Non-Plastic Toys
SunflowerMama 01:33 PM 12-15-2011
What have you purchased to replace little people?

The only really plastic toys I still have is my set of little people figures. I want figures for the kids to use but a lot of the wooden alternatives are crazy expensive $15-$20 per figure.

For those that have more natural, non-plastic toys what do you use to replace little people?

**After all the great responses on the Little People replacements I wanted to add 2 other sets of toys that I'd love to find non-plastic replacements for. If I could find something to replace these I would be completely plastic-free!!

Ok so What about barbies and My Little Ponies? I'd love to find some dolls like barbie with some more appropriate clothing and then some toys like my little ponies with hair that the kids could brush. Suggestions there?? Thanks again!!
Blackcat31 01:40 PM 12-15-2011
I use these. They are inexpensive, simple and encourage imagination and creativity. I also have some left over old school Fisher Price little people that are wooden.

http://www.northstartoys.com/collect...q=Extra+People
SunflowerMama 01:48 PM 12-15-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I use these. They are inexpensive, simple and encourage imagination and creativity. I also have some left over old school Fisher Price little people that are wooden.

http://www.northstartoys.com/collect...q=Extra+People
That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for! Do the kids play with them a lot?
youretooloud 02:01 PM 12-15-2011
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for! Do the kids play with them a lot?
I have some like that, but they are really old, and probably a choking hazard. The kids claim they look like a penis. LOL

BUT, they like to play with those SO much more than the little People. It's more open ended, and better for imagination.
Blackcat31 02:04 PM 12-15-2011
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
Yes, my kids LOVE them! I had to buy a couple extra sets so there was enough to go around.

Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I have some like that, but they are really old, and probably a choking hazard. The kids claim they look like a penis. LOL

BUT, they like to play with those SO much more than the little People. It's more open ended, and better for imagination.
Thanks, youretooloud!! I will never look at them the same way again!!
BigMama 02:20 PM 12-15-2011
You can get those natural wooden "peg" people Blackcat posted about above at a craft store like Michael's or AC Moore. They come in 2 sizes so you could have adults and children. You get a few in a bag for a few dollars. (P.S. I check all my toys in my "choke tube" and these pass the test!" The kids love them. We have a local wooden toy maker who makes cars and things that these peg people fit into. I love them!)
melskids 03:00 AM 12-16-2011
I have these, along with the ones posted above...

http://www.amazon.com/Plan-Toy-Doll-...4033109&sr=8-6

They come in different races too, asian, african american, etc.
SunflowerMama 06:41 AM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:

I have some dolls like that too!

I edited my original post to also ask about alternatives to Barbie and My Little Pony. I'd love to phase those out of the rotation but not without finding alternatives because the kids love them .
Ariana 09:34 AM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:

These are the ones I have as well. Unfortunately my kids don't like them (I wish they looked a bit better...). My kids tend to play with animals more than people anyway!!

We don't have ponies or barbies. My kids love the Schleic brand animals. They're made in Germany and have non-toxic paint which I like. They're a bit pricey so I used to buy a couple every month but the kids LOVE them!! They don't have brushable hair though. There is a toy store in Vermont that sells great toys but I can't remember the name of it....
SunflowerMama 10:32 AM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by Ariana:
These are the ones I have as well. Unfortunately my kids don't like them (I wish they looked a bit better...). My kids tend to play with animals more than people anyway!!

We don't have ponies or barbies. My kids love the Schleic brand animals. They're made in Germany and have non-toxic paint which I like. They're a bit pricey so I used to buy a couple every month but the kids LOVE them!! They don't have brushable hair though. There is a toy store in Vermont that sells great toys but I can't remember the name of it....
Ohh the Schleich animals look great!! I'm definitely getting a few of those and boxing up the my little ponies. Thanks!! I'm definitely going to try and find that toy store in Vermont online.
meganlavonnesmommy 10:47 AM 12-16-2011
What about these?

http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/br...4&ci_sku=58/32

They have similar ones at discount school supply that are career people
Ariana 11:31 AM 12-16-2011
I just found my old Mothering Magazine with the "Best Natural Toys 2010" article. Nov-Dec 2010 issue if you can get your hands on it. TON of natural toy websites listed. Maybe you could do an online search for that issue or something?

Here is the one in Vermont: http://www.novanatural.com/toys.
Francine 03:57 AM 12-17-2011
I was at a craft show a couple of weeks ago and saw some wooden toys that looked really nice, I should have bought some but all I could think about was my 2 kids that always have to have something in there mouths. I should have try it I guess but at the time all I could see was teeth marks and splinters.
Abigail 06:13 PM 12-17-2011
If you have mostly wooden items how do you clean them? I have lincoln logs, lol, but not too sure on how to clean them either! For foam items I use soapy water then a good rinse and air dry. Do you think I could put foam items in the dishwasher? Plastics are easy because they can handle the bleach water solution.

I agree with others the best places to start looking would be like a Hobby Lobby or Michaels craft store of some sort.
Crazy8 07:04 PM 12-17-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
If you have mostly wooden items how do you clean them? I have lincoln logs, lol, but not too sure on how to clean them either! For foam items I use soapy water then a good rinse and air dry. Do you think I could put foam items in the dishwasher? Plastics are easy because they can handle the bleach water solution.

I agree with others the best places to start looking would be like a Hobby Lobby or Michaels craft store of some sort.
I was wondering the same thing about cleaning them.... I love that I can throw all my little people in the dishwasher. I love wooden toys but I'm just afraid they aren't as sanitary as plastic. I have some wooden food toys and wanted to add more but I just don't know how to clean them as good as the plastic (and you know food toys especially end up in the mouth!!!).
cheerfuldom 09:28 PM 12-17-2011
Don't forget to check on etsy for wooden toy options. Lots of good stuff there. We have lots of festivals, bizarres and craft shows in our area and I love to buy handmade stuff as well.
Blackcat31 08:22 AM 12-18-2011
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:
I was wondering the same thing about cleaning them.... I love that I can throw all my little people in the dishwasher. I love wooden toys but I'm just afraid they aren't as sanitary as plastic. I have some wooden food toys and wanted to add more but I just don't know how to clean them as good as the plastic (and you know food toys especially end up in the mouth!!!).
All my wooden toys are covered in some sort of clear coat or varnish (that I am sure is safe since it is on toys) which makes them all wipeable and cleanable. I have even sent a few through the sanitizing cycle of my dishwasher and as long as you air dry they come out squeaky clean and A-ok.

Lincoln Logs....I spray with Clorox everywhere sanitizer or Odoban. Most my kids who are old enough to play Lincoln Logs are old enough not to mouth them.
Ariana 02:03 PM 12-18-2011
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:
I throw them in a bleach/water solution but you can't let them soak. Just throw them in, swirl them around and then wipe them dry. It's a bit more work but worth it I think. You don't want any of the bleach to soak into the wood or the water.
Tags:toys
Reply Up