Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Should I Do????
JeepGirl6 10:41 AM 05-22-2012
Summers are always bad for me with ratio. I have 4 parents in school/college field so they don't bring their child in the summer( I dont charge in the summer when they don't come) Well I also have one family on maternity leave and then another lost her job....The parent that lost her job has just recently been offered a job 45 minutes away. Before she lost her job she would bring them 2 full days a week which would be $70 a day. With this new job it is not the pay that she was hoping for so she said she wants to bring them 2:45-5:45, dad will bring them before he leaves for his afternoon shift. All the children I currently care for leave by 4:00/4:30...let alone my closing time is 5:30, but I let it bend a little for this family ($0.50 a min after 5:45 instead of 5:30) because the mothers past place of employment, she didnt get off until 5:30. Well now her new job she gets off at 5:00 but its 45 minutes away so it will still be 5:45pm. She is looking for a second alternative for a higher paying job so she is still looking for taking interviews...I guess my two biggest things are wishing that she could pick up by 5:30 and her wanting to bring her 2 children for only 3 hours in the afternoon, I have availability now but what would I do if I am able to get children down the road and I can't take them because these 2 spots they take up for only 3 hours...If I was offered to watch 2 children full time M-F that would be $400 a week between those two kids, while I will be getting $120 for the two that will be coming for 3 hours a day, being dropped off at nap time right in the middle of the day....AHHHH...Please someone give me some advice, what exactly I should say to this mom... At this time, I can help her but down the road if this is the permanent schedule, I don't know if it will work, let alone we plan on having our own baby next year, so this will be a 12 hour day for me if they are here until 5:45 when the other children are gone by 4:00/4:30...Financially right now, this will really help until the other children come back in September....I know daycare centers and most of you wouldn't allow this kind of schedule...What would you do?

I have had 3 interviews this past month but all have found someone to come to their home(very impressed with me and my daycare) but found it more convenient for someone to come to their own house when given the option.
littlemissmuffet 10:52 AM 05-22-2012
Originally Posted by JeepGirl6:
Summers are always bad for me with ratio. I have 4 parents in school/college field so they don't bring their child in the summer( I dont charge in the summer when they don't come) Well I also have one family on maternity leave and then another lost her job....The parent that lost her job has just recently been offered a job 45 minutes away. Before she lost her job she would bring them 2 full days a week which would be $70 a day. With this new job it is not the pay that she was hoping for so she said she wants to bring them 2:45-5:45, dad will bring them before he leaves for his afternoon shift. All the children I currently care for leave by 4:00/4:30...let alone my closing time is 5:30, but I let it bend a little for this family ($0.50 a min after 5:45 instead of 5:30) because the mothers past place of employment, she didnt get off until 5:30. Well now her new job she gets off at 5:00 but its 45 minutes away so it will still be 5:45pm. She is looking for a second alternative for a higher paying job so she is still looking for taking interviews...I guess my two biggest things are wishing that she could pick up by 5:30 and her wanting to bring her 2 children for only 3 hours in the afternoon, I have availability now but what would I do if I am able to get children down the road and I can't take them because these 2 spots they take up for only 3 hours...If I was offered to watch 2 children full time M-F that would be $400 a week between those two kids, while I will be getting $120 for the two that will be coming for 3 hours a day, being dropped off at nap time right in the middle of the day....AHHHH...Please someone give me some advice, what exactly I should say to this mom... At this time, I can help her but down the road if this is the permanent schedule, I don't know if it will work, let alone we plan on having our own baby next year, so this will be a 12 hour day for me if they are here until 5:45 when the other children are gone by 4:00/4:30...Financially right now, this will really help until the other children come back in September....I know daycare centers and most of you wouldn't allow this kind of schedule...What would you do?

I have had 3 interviews this past month but all have found someone to come to their home(very impressed with me and my daycare) but found it more convenient for someone to come to their own house when given the option.
I would not accomidate a schedule like that - mind you, I don't even accomidate normal part-time schedules. Too disruptive.

I also would never in a million years stay open later than my close time (I do contracted hours, but I never contract later than 5pm). It RARELY ever ends up being worth your personal time or sanity!

I also find when providers take/keep clients out of financial desperation it never works out. I would spend all of my free time (even daycare time) and energy on getting NEW clients... and look into ending the whole idea of holding summer spaces for free!
JeepGirl6 12:09 PM 05-22-2012
I hate when parents get upset with me or my contract, I really wish I could speak up about this stuff I know I need to do something about charging for summer spots but then I worry I will lose the kids....parents need to think of it this way... If they went to work for their 40 hour job and their boss told them "Hey Sue, in 2 weeks we wont need you for the summer but we want yoy back in September" they would go find another job. I really dont understand how they expect me to live off of 1 child a day when My normal schedule is 3-5 children a day.... Im getting married in October and this past week had to get into my wedding money to pay bills... Im so stressed out right now with money!
MyAngels 12:20 PM 05-22-2012
I would never accomodate the schedules that you have because thankfully I'm not in a position where I have to to make ends meet.

That being said, it sounds like you really need the money right now, so in that case I would go ahead and keep the kids, work with the schedules, but work very hard on finding families that will be full-time/full-year, and work within your open and close times. As I found new families I would begin letting the families go that have the troublesome schedules.

If you like the families that you have now you could give them the option of paying full-time rates and working within your hours if they want to keep their spots.
wdmmom 12:49 PM 05-22-2012
I wouldn't accept a schedule like that. Not only is drop off at the tail end of naptime but the pick up time is too late. Who wants to work later in the summer?! I just changed my closing time from 530pm to 5pm.

I would tell this family that you understand their needs have changed but the part time schedule isn't something you can accommodate. Plain and simple...it's be far too hard to get another family to come opposite the shift they are requesting.
wdmmom 12:50 PM 05-22-2012
Originally Posted by JeepGirl6:
I hate when parents get upset with me or my contract, I really wish I could speak up about this stuff I know I need to do something about charging for summer spots but then I worry I will lose the kids....parents need to think of it this way... If they went to work for their 40 hour job and their boss told them "Hey Sue, in 2 weeks we wont need you for the summer but we want yoy back in September" they would go find another job. I really dont understand how they expect me to live off of 1 child a day when My normal schedule is 3-5 children a day.... Im getting married in October and this past week had to get into my wedding money to pay bills... Im so stressed out right now with money!
Not without a hefty deposit! Families wanting to leave and return in September need to pay a month's deposit!
JeepGirl6 03:12 PM 05-22-2012
So I had another parent tell today they will not need me for the summer leaving me with no kids Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays so I think Im going to either start to pick up kids in the evening or an evening job and keep my daycare open during the day for when parents actually do want me I am so stressed out About this I want to cry! Im using our wedding $ to even pay bills! I cant have this happen every summer, Im soo financially strapped down like never in my life!
Tags:schedule, summer schedule
Reply Up