Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Handing Out Business Cards With Halloween Candy
HappyHearts 09:38 AM 10-08-2012
Has anyone done this before? I know I have heard people before suggest it, but I personally always felt it was tacky (no offense to anyone that does). I just always thought the parents to the children getting the cards wouldn't appreciate it. I could be wrong though.

I haven't been able to fill a couple spots since my kids went to kindergarten, so i was thinking maybe I need to do this. Up until last year, we would normally get about 300 trick or treaters. Most people in our area know we are the ones that give out the regular size candy bars (we buy by the case from Costco). A tradition my husband and I have done since we got married 26 years ago.

However, last year we only got maybe 100 kids, so not sure what this year will be like. But, I am thinking I need to change my way of thinking and take this opportunity to drop a business card with the candy bar in each kiddies treat bag/bucket.

Opinions? Pros? Cons?
crazydaycarelady 09:41 AM 10-08-2012
This makes no sense at all but for some reason in my opinion if you are giving FULL SIZE candy bars then that makes it not seem quite as tacky to add a business card. LOL I would stick the cards onto the back of the candy bars with tape or a dab of glue stick.

Another idea I like is to donate books to pediatrician offices and have your business card taped to the front.
Kimberli 09:48 AM 10-08-2012
I do this every year. I get Halloween pencils from either Party City or Oriental Trading Co., etc - punch a hole in the top corner of my business card, tie it on the eraser end with curling ribbon and hand them out to each child with a couple of small pieces of candy too. That way there's something for Kiddo and for Mom and Dad! I've never had anyone give me other than a great big thank you when I've dropped them into the buckets ... and I have gotten calls off of them.
HappyHearts 10:20 AM 10-08-2012
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:

Another idea I like is to donate books to pediatrician offices and have your business card taped to the front.
This is a great idea, thanks!
HappyHearts 10:21 AM 10-08-2012
Originally Posted by Kimberli:
I do this every year. I get Halloween pencils from either Party City or Oriental Trading Co., etc - punch a hole in the top corner of my business card, tie it on the eraser end with curling ribbon and hand them out to each child with a couple of small pieces of candy too. That way there's something for Kiddo and for Mom and Dad! I've never had anyone give me other than a great big thank you when I've dropped them into the buckets ... and I have gotten calls off of them.
Oh I love the pencil idea. Nice that you got calls from that too. I think I'm going to do this. This also gives me another idea, thank you so much!
sharlan 10:36 AM 10-08-2012
Last year I put return labels on mini packages of pretzels. I gave out 250 and didn't get a single call. I won't be doing it this year.
busymomof2 10:43 AM 10-08-2012
I might be wrong but I read in one of Tom Copeland's books that if you do this you can right off the cost of the candy as advertising. I think I will be doing that this year.
SunnyDay 10:55 AM 10-08-2012
I don't think it's tacky at all. I would do it if we had openings.

I like the pencil idea. I just saw some in the Target $ section, and they also have them at Dollar Tree if they have those by you.
e.j. 11:29 AM 10-08-2012
I don't think it's tacky, either. In fact, if I were a parent, I would see it as nice safety feature. Even if I didn't need child care, the business card has your contact information on it so I would know the candy (if that's was you hand out) would most likely be safe for my child to consume. I just wish we got more trick or treaters in my neighborhood so I could use that idea! If we get 1 family, we consider ourselves lucky.
lil angels 12:11 PM 10-08-2012
I think it's a great idea if I had openings I would do it to. Love the book idea to I have never heard of that before.
daycare 01:27 PM 10-08-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Last year I put return labels on mini packages of pretzels. I gave out 250 and didn't get a single call. I won't be doing it this year.
same exact thing and I am also not doing it again...
WImom 02:51 PM 10-08-2012
My first year I did little goodie bags with candy, plastic rings and a pencil and attached the card. I didn't get any business from it but they looked cute!
familyschoolcare 03:28 PM 10-08-2012
I do like kimberli but with glow bracelets, I started handing out glow bracelets a because I don't want to hand out candy. Then when I opened the daycare I added my cards to it and yes it is a business expense. My husband thinks it is tacky but I don't, and I have gotten calls from them and several neighbors saying oh I didn't know you did daycare,.
littlemissmuffet 08:35 AM 10-09-2012
Every year I make little candy baggies and include a business card. Every year I get phone calls Why would anyone think it's tacky??
HappyHearts 10:39 AM 10-09-2012
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I ordered some pencils, note pads, bracelets, and some cute bags. So those 3 items plus a regular size candy bar. I think I will have my business card hanging from the ribbon on the outside. Should look really cute and professional when they are all done.

I really appreciate these suggestions, It never occurred to me to make little goody bags, I don't think of it tacky this way.
cheerfuldom 10:53 AM 10-09-2012
I dont have a problem at all with someone doing this but I wouldnt do it myself. The only people that know that I have a daycare here are my daycare parents and my immediate neighbors. I dont readily give out my address, advertise with my address, or give info on my daycare to anyone that is not currently looking for care.

If you have very basic business cards or flyers, that would be something I am more comfortable with. I would put on an email address only so that you can weed out any crazies or any people that wouldnt work for your daycare. If you put your personal number or an address, people might be coming up unexpectantly or calling over and over when you cant accommodate them and have already told them no.

This is just me thinking of the worse case scenarios
HappyHearts 11:03 AM 10-09-2012
Agree. I don't have my address on my business cards, but do have my website on them, and my address is not on my website either. Although they may remember who gave them the bags.

This is why I was also a bit uncomfortable about doing this. I have always had a policy of not doing daycare business with friends, relatives, and neighbors. I'm hoping if anyone calls, they atleast live a block away, and not on my block, but you never know. There are alot of illegally unlicensed *babysitters* in my area, so if anything, I'm hoping this helps get the word out that there are other options for childcare? I've been in business for almost 20 years, and this is the first time doing this. I guess I will soon find out if this is/was a good thing or not.
DBug 11:04 AM 10-09-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I dont have a problem at all with someone doing this but I wouldnt do it myself. The only people that know that I have a daycare here are my daycare parents and my immediate neighbors. I dont readily give out my address, advertise with my address, or give info on my daycare to anyone that is not currently looking for care.

If you have very basic business cards or flyers, that would be something I am more comfortable with. I would put on an email address only so that you can weed out any crazies or any people that wouldnt work for your daycare. If you put your personal number or an address, people might be coming up unexpectantly or calling over and over when you cant accommodate them and have already told them no.

This is just me thinking of the worse case scenarios
ITA with this -- I only ever give out my email address. If a person has even just your phone number they can easily find out your address.

My business cards have my daycare name and the website address. Parents can contact me through the website, so that's how I set up 90% of my interviews.

The loot bags sound like a wonderful idea!
Sunchimes 10:29 AM 10-25-2012
I think I've found a solution. My husband was strongly against handing out cards with the candy-he said it was tacky.

I think I've found a solution though. We have an old yard sign for some political candidate that never came to pick up his sign. I'm going to spray it with chalkboard paint and write something about having a day care opening. I'll put it in the yard right next to where I sit on the steps and have some cards handy. If someone asks about it, I can give them a card. Hubby said that wasn't too tacky, and he's fine with it. Yea!
mysonsmom1 10:52 AM 10-25-2012
I did this and it worked great. I greeted a lot of families in grocery stores and other places with a flyer and little dum dum lolli pops. I was able to meet the parents and the children just to get an idea of if they would be a good fit. What sold the parents the most was the fact that they liked my personality and was impressed when I was able to answer their questions. My prices where competitive to the market and clearly beat the center pricing. I had 2 interviews that came from it and one parent signed up for a date after her 2 weeks notice ended. I enjoyed meeting the families and letting them know how close the home is in the area. Most parents were actually looking for providers.

As a result of this, I keep cards and flyers on my with little lollipops at the bottom of my purse just in case I see a family that I would like to be apart of our family. I was happy with the results and plan on doing more to fill in one more slot
Tags:business cards, candy, halloween, marketing
Reply Up