Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is this a Craigslist Scam? Please Help!
tehck_1013 01:03 PM 05-16-2014
I replied to the first one, located in Graham because my step daughter goes to that school and it looked perfect for me at the moment. But then later, the next day, I see this other post that kinda sounds like the one I replied to and follows a similar pattern but its posted by an apparently different person, working on base and stuff. I've seen scams where there is different people posting about different things, but they all sound slightly similar in context. Is this one of them? What do you think? The one I replied to yesterday replied to me telling me her hours but that was it, nothing new today yet. Why would there be such a similar post not too far away in Lacey? If this is a scam, whats in it for these people?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/kid/4470902571.html (replied to this one)

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/kid/4464863005.html

craftymissbeth 01:23 PM 05-16-2014
Neither of those scream scam to me, but I wouldn't touch either with a ten foot pole, personally.

#1 - I don't bother responding to people who are on a "really tight budget"... we're all on tight budgets these days and it's just a pet peeve of mine to ask for cheap or free child care. In my state, people who truly can't afford child care qualify for assistance. If they don't qualify for assistance, then they it's not my responsibility to lower MY income so that you don't "struggle" as much. Sorry, it just irritates me. Every person I know who gets on Facebook looking for cheap care actually has MANY areas that can be cut (cable, car, "toys", etc.) in order to pay for quality child care.

#2 - I just wouldn't want those hours. Is she single? I don't have any experience with the military, but I honestly thought there were rules about single parents in order to protect the kids.
MotherNature 01:23 PM 05-16-2014
They sound legit to me..maybe there'stwo soldier moms both looking for care in your area.
Luvnmykidz 01:28 PM 05-16-2014
I'm not sure if it is a scam or not. It doesn't seem sketchy to me.
tehck_1013 01:33 PM 05-16-2014
It just seems weird to me because they follow the same outline...

1. Greeting
2. Ages and gender of children.
3. Both include one of the children starting school this year.
4. Both mention the bus stop situation.
5. Both mention tight budget/affordable.

Not very many people have super short childcare requests, let alone follow the same exact outline that most other people do when they post.

I don't know, I could be wrong - but man I'm just so tired of scams lol I receive enough of weird stuff.
racemom 02:50 PM 05-16-2014
Maybe the second one read through ads to get ideas on wording/what to ask, etc. That would be a reason the ads are similar.
SillyGrl 06:05 PM 05-17-2014
I think sometimes when people want to post an ad, they look through others to get an idea of what to write and what pertinent information to include.
sahm1225 08:14 AM 05-18-2014
One has two kids the other has three kids. The affordable/tight budget is something you see in every ad around here so that didn't strike me as odd.
Starburst 11:41 AM 05-18-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
#2 - I just wouldn't want those hours. Is she single? I don't have any experience with the military, but I honestly thought there were rules about single parents in order to protect the kids.
I've always heard that too, that they usually have to have another parent or family member that is the child's legal guardian.
Michelle 03:37 PM 05-18-2014
the key words that you need to look out for
: kindly
: please email me your info
: im relocating to your area
: they don't capitalize i
they offer a huge amount of money and usually don't want to set up a meeting, they want to wire you money or mail you a check
: they want your name and address but not info about the type of care
: even the font they use is really off
Tags:craigslist, scam
Reply Up