Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>This Is A Hard Job!
Shell 10:23 AM 10-29-2014
I've been thinking about this a lot lately: this job isn't as easy as folks like to think it is. When I finally get a second to breathe, I think about how many diapers I've changed, meals I've served, bottles served, crafts, writing, math, science projects, circle time, meal prep and clean up, potty training, getting a newborn to sleep while carefully guiding a two year old to rest with a gentle pat on the back, getting the older kids to go potty and brush their teeth, getting everyone dressed, shoes on, making sure everybody is safe and accounted for. Not to mention the paperwork! I understand there are jobs that require more than what we do both physically and academically, but man, do we ever work hard! Just wanted to get that out- I recently had a family member joke that the kids must sleep all day (ha, as if it were that easy).
melilley 10:42 AM 10-29-2014
I agree 100%!
I think the mental part of our job is what gets me some days (today is one of those days), never the physical part.

Dh and I often have little arguments about our jobs. I don't want to discredit his job at all, he's a supervisor for a retail store and I wouldn't want to work with some of the customers that he comes in contact with, but he can walk away after or take a break. Some days when he is off during the week at home, he doesn't like to be here because of the noise/crying factor and will walk away or go do something. We can't just do that, we have to sit here and listen to it all day, yes part of the job, but not any less draining. Then he has to comment that I get a 2 hour break, yes I do, but I need it to wind down from the mornings with 5-6 kids! He doesn't understand at all. Sorry, I'm ranting. I don't dislike this job, just sometimes it gets to me. It is harder than people think!

Little story, just last Friday, dh invited his grandparents and mom over....right at nap time! They walked in while I was trying to get a baby to sleep and were really loud. I don't know how they didn't realize it, but later his mom asked me if I was ready to retire and then asked if I needed her to come help me sometime....I had to roll my eyes. I asked her why and she was like you look stressed, well yeah, you see me rocking a baby and come in talking loudly. They just don't get how hard it is to get 6 kids to sleep at the same time, yeah it's a piece of cake
cheerfuldom 10:44 AM 10-29-2014
Only a moron is going to think this job is easy. anyway with a bit of common sense and anyone that has been around group care at all will know that this job is hard. Provider burnout is rampant and turnover is HIGH in the industry.
midaycare 10:59 AM 10-29-2014
My hubby had to watch the kids for me for two hours one day. He said never again. My mom was going to be my assistant and help out occasionally, but after subbing for me one time said never again. And she taught everything from preschool to college classes in her career!

This job is hard, but I don't get the aversion to it some people have either. I love it I enjoy the kids, the parents, even the crazy mess. I've worked in an office and hope I never have to again.
Josiegirl 11:06 AM 10-29-2014
I hardly ever schedule appts., etc. Well, one day I scheduled 1 during the easiest part of the day, naptime. My dear friend, who absolutely adores kids, came to watch them for an hour. She said never again and suggested I find another job.
Annalee 11:08 AM 10-29-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
I agree 100%!
I think the mental part of our job is what gets me some days (today is one of those days), never the physical part.

Dh and I often have little arguments about our jobs. I don't want to discredit his job at all, he's a supervisor for a retail store and I wouldn't want to work with some of the customers that he comes in contact with, but he can walk away after or take a break. Some days when he is off during the week at home, he doesn't like to be here because of the noise/crying factor and will walk away or go do something. We can't just do that, we have to sit here and listen to it all day, yes part of the job, but not any less draining. Then he has to comment that I get a 2 hour break, yes I do, but I need it to wind down from the mornings with 5-6 kids! He doesn't understand at all. Sorry, I'm ranting. I don't dislike this job, just sometimes it gets to me. It is harder than people think!

Little story, just last Friday, dh invited his grandparents and mom over....right at nap time! They walked in while I was trying to get a baby to sleep and were really loud. I don't know how they didn't realize it, but later his mom asked me if I was ready to retire and then asked if I needed her to come help me sometime....I had to roll my eyes. I asked her why and she was like you look stressed, well yeah, you see me rocking a baby and come in talking loudly. They just don't get how hard it is to get 6 kids to sleep at the same time, yeah it's a piece of cake
FCC is extremely isolating at times....even though I have a separate room, my child care program is a part of me 24/7.....I am constantly running things through my head whether it be finances, room arrangement, clients, cleaning, etc.....it is a HUGE responsibility/liability we take upon ourselves....I like to think FCC is not a job, it is a TALENT....think about it....How many people can keep their home in order, run a business, get their own children to school and back, take care of everyone from church/family/friends because we "are NOT working", get all errands run in a timely manner?????? Yep, it is a TALENT and one I am PROUD OF!!!!
melilley 11:21 AM 10-29-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
FCC is extremely isolating at times....even though I have a separate room, my child care program is a part of me 24/7.....I am constantly running things through my head whether it be finances, room arrangement, clients, cleaning, etc.....it is a HUGE responsibility/liability we take upon ourselves....I like to think FCC is not a job, it is a TALENT....think about it....How many people can keep their home in order, run a business, get their own children to school and back, take care of everyone from church/family/friends because we "are NOT working", get all errands run in a timely manner?????? Yep, it is a TALENT and one I am PROUD OF!!!!
You are right, it is a talent! Only a few of us awesome people have this talent!

I agree, it is a part of me 24/7. I try to not think about it on the weekends, but that never happens...lol
Jazminsdaycare 01:20 PM 10-29-2014
Last week my dd had a very rare day off of school and so we decided to take her and all the one and two year olds to Disneyland
So I begged my 22 year old to just watch the 4 three year olds for a few hours and I would pay her .She was very excited and happy to do it.

Well when we got back, all she was doing is sighing deeply, shaking her head, and I kept putting $20 bills in her hand until she would talk to me again

Magic 09:00 AM 10-31-2014
Oh yes it is a truely hard job and one of the most rewarding

this morning while feeding my out door animals in the dark I was thinking I love my job and so glad I do not have to leave for work
yesterday while feeding the animals in the dark I wanted to cry

days are long and demanding ...parents think I have no life ...which well somedays I do think I have no life ...lol ....and they think there is no day care before and after thier own children times ...they often seem to forget about all the other children and scheduals ex in our care

and as you all know the daily details of the job and the paper work leading to very long days ....man oh man the paper work takes all the fun out of it sometimes

and my reward from parents is " I dont know how you do it " ...lol
and then I feel very proud of myself and my life choice for work
my own biggest reward is my daughter ...I raised her , I am here at age 14 when she gets in from school ..and I get so many compliments on her ...being raised in a daycare at home was a great idea
Tags:daycare environment, overwhelmed
Reply Up