Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Lost Hope, Critique My Site
MsLisa 11:08 AM 02-28-2016
Can you ladies give me your honest critique on my website please? Also my CL ad too, if possible.

Tell me what I need to fix, add, replace....anything!
This is the last time I'm doing this. I am at your mercy.

http://mslisap.wix.com/nannymslisa
http://scranton.craigslist.org/kid/5449051351.html

I really don't know what I’m doing wrong.
Is it me? Is it this damn area?
(Go ahead a look at the CL childcare board...100s!)
I just can't figure it out.
So many damn SAHM doing the same thing, its impossible to stand out. Too many grandparents raising their kid's kids too. I spend so many hours on everything. Every detail on that site. Pouring over marketing and designs.....I’m losing my mind and now hope.

I'm about to give up and just become some miserable dreamless drone in a retail store. I refuse to try another center.
HELP!
Unregistered 11:55 AM 02-28-2016
As a parent I was turned off by the comments about playing outdoors in the rain and jumping in puddles and on snowy days eating snow. Snow is full of pollution.

I would also like to see a full face picture of you somewhere on your site. I know it sounds weird but when I am looking through childcare sites on the internet and I have a few narrowed down I look at the providers picture to see which one looks like they have a kinder face. Your only front face picture is wearing sunglasses.
CalCare 12:02 PM 02-28-2016
Hi Lisa, I'm sorry you aren't getting a lot of calls with all the work you are putting into marketing. I guess what I see missing is education and experience. Something that is more than ad speak. Like, we can all say 'I'm the best', but is there any way we can prove it? Even if you have no ece education or experience, I'm sure you have some way that you have come to learn and know how to do this work well and you can say that. For example: "Currently enrolled in ece program at such and such" or "full time mom to two amazing kids" or "BA in business and currently enrolled in child development classes" or even something as sort of unrelated but shows commitment and caring like "longtime volunteer at 'DAWG' rescue" etc etc... Got anything like that? Or did I miss it?
CalCare 12:05 PM 02-28-2016
Oh, ok I see that now. I think that's too hard to get to. Maybe see it in the CL ad and first page of website- give them a reason to be interested and a reason to look further ?
Laurel 12:29 PM 02-28-2016
Originally Posted by MsLisa:
Can you ladies give me your honest critique on my website please? Also my CL ad too, if possible.

I really don't know what I知 doing wrong.
So many damn SAHM doing the same thing, its impossible to stand out. Too many grandparents raising their kid's kids too. I spend so many hours on everything. Every detail on that site. Pouring over marketing and designs.....I知 losing my mind and now hope.

I'm about to give up and just become some miserable dreamless drone in a retail store. I refuse to try another center.
HELP!
I think overall it looks great. I do think I agree with the other poster about mentioning mud and puddle play. I let my daycare kids dig in the dirt and took them on rain walks (if there was no thunder/lightening) and let them jump in puddles but some parents are squeamish about that. They sometimes accept it but you have to ease them into it. So, personally, I wouldn't put it on an ad. That doesn't mean you can't do it but you need to get a feel for how the family feels about it first.

I was a little confused about the rate part. I didn't see a rate except for the $9 an hour for date nights. If you have a 9 to 5 rate, I'd post it. If it is dependent on how many children and the exact hours needed (which makes sense) then I'd just say that rates are based on number of children in the family, ages, and times needed if that is the case.

I would also say that I had references but obviously I wouldn't put them in the ad.

Other than that it looks great to me!
Laurel 12:34 PM 02-28-2016
Oops sorry, I do see you made the rates clearer on CL but on website you might want to write the same thing as you did about rates on CL.
Josiegirl 01:06 PM 02-28-2016
Personally I love your website. It looks fun and energizing, even the mud play and snow ice cream.
I guess I'm a bit confused about the difference in a nanny and childcare provider. I always assumed a nanny went to the family's home and cared for the child/ren? Since you're a nanny people may be automatically assuming you're more expensive?
I know lots of people have success with CL and their local newspaper ads but I never have. Word of mouth is what has worked for me. If you have current families have them help you spread the word? Or participate in any local parades with banners advertising your daycare. There are several Messy Play Days in Feb.-March where I live. Any center or dc can participate and bring their messy play stuff, set up, put a sign or board describing their program.
Will your local grocery stores, co-ops, libraries or museums allow you to advertise?
Josiegirl 01:07 PM 02-28-2016
What about hosting an open house?
LysesKids 01:40 PM 02-28-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
What about hosting an open house?
She's advertising to be a Nanny, not an in home childcare... I wouldn't do an open house if I planned on working in THEIR HOME
Thriftylady 01:40 PM 02-28-2016
On your web page, you have a schedule which some families may love. But what about families who want you to take the kids to lessons and stuff? I may add a blurb somewhere that your schedule is open for activities desired by the family or some such thing.
Silly Songs 01:51 PM 02-28-2016
Lisa, have you tried Care.com or Sittercity ? Personally I stay away from Craigslist for anything I want to hire out for. Normally I go to some local websites or ask around and get recommendations . I found my current job through a local webpage. Also, do many people in your area hire nannies? The neighborhood where I will be working is not my neighborhood, but a half hour away. Nannies are in very high demand there, not so much in my neighborhood. I also let a lot of people know I wanted to get a nanny position. Good luck!
LysesKids 01:54 PM 02-28-2016
Originally Posted by MsLisa:

I really don't know what I知 doing wrong.
So many damn SAHM doing the same thing, its impossible to stand out. Too many grandparents raising their kid's kids too. I spend so many hours on everything. Every detail on that site. Pouring over marketing and designs.....I知 losing my mind and now hope.

HELP!
OK... question? Are you planning on being an ON Call all the time or do you want to be hired by someone on a regular basis? I ask because the way you advertise will change as well as tax rules (and who pays them)... if you plan on being an independent, on call Nanny then don't offer FT because if someone hires you FT (or even PT on a regular basis) you fall under federal labor laws, inc being paid OT after 40 hrs and the family having to deduct taxes etc etc. The family that hires you has the right to base your days off, holidays, pay etc if you do a regular service (always have a written contract regardless)

If you want to be in charge of your hours, holidays & pay, and pay your own taxes offer services as On call, not a regular type thing... like sick care, date night, special event or back up (take into account driving costs and such when basing rates). Also you mention your kids ; where will they be when you work? Families will want to know if you can do short notice if you are on call or even FT... if the kids are ill, will you still be dependable?. I sent you a PM with my rack card ad for my Nanny services ( on call only) so take a look. Couldn't get the website to reload... meant to send it last month lol
MsLisa 02:46 PM 02-28-2016
First off, THANK YOU! I appreciate all your honest words. I needed it. Was considering just deleting it all and crawling back into bed at this point. But alas....back to the drawing board....

@Unregistered:
* I redid my activities page & removed the mud and snow part.
* Put a full face photo on my About me page. I totally get your point!

@CalCare:
* I have over 4 years experience both previous in-home daycare owner & Afterschool group supervisor. Going to add that detail in my About Me now.

@Laurel:
* Removed all that mud speak. Good point as unregistered said.
* Was never sure of posting rates. Some says its bad, some say its good. I would like to charge $9/hr all around. Not sure how to word it....cause it all depends then with hours/days.
* Adding references by request & perhaps even a quote from a parent.

@Josiegirl:
* You are correct. I would go to them vs. all the other providers around here who want you to come to them. That's also why I don't mind being a little more pricey. But at the same time, worry if this area is the place for it.
* Most families lost contact with me when I left sadly. Only got family and few wide spread acquaintances.
* I haven't advertised outwardly yet. Just wanted to get the basics done first.

@ Thriftylady:
* Smart idea! Will add!

@ Silly Songs:
* I'm on both Care & Sittercity. Even enanny...something.
* Care leads me to believe there is a desire for a Nanny out there. I applied to literally 10 jobs all month and nothing. I worry that maybe I知 reaching for something this area just doesn't need. I reach out as far as 15 miles away. It seems its the super major cities (a'la Philly & NJ) are were Nannies are in high demand, but that's 2hrs+ away.

@ LysesKids:
* Regular bases would be preferred. I'd like to have just one consistent family.
* I guess I would prefer Part-time then. Rather under the table, as I had when I first ever started. I worked 6:30am-8am and then 3pm to 5pm with that client and was paid $90/wk. I'm obviously worth a little more now but I liked how that was. Although he came here. I can't do that any more. If a family needs me Mon-Fri, I知 also open to that. So now i'm confused..... I feel if I put 8am to 6pm I'm limiting myself. And I知 already limited because of being a mom.
* She would be in school (3rd grade) or with me on occasions. I read somewhere that being simply a SAHM and have a kid will put a huge damper on being hired. Very few parents allow your child to tag along. I would have to wait another year till my husband's parents are retired to take her during time she'd have to be with me. But I don't have that now.
* Cool thank you!
NillaWafers 04:36 PM 02-28-2016
I love care.com. I found all my previous nanny jobs from there. Some hints: give your parents a price break (or pay for their membership for a month) and get them to review you. Once you have reviews you really stand out and it's easy to get a job from there. I wish I was having the same experience with care.com as as a daycare as I did as a nanny
Laurel 06:32 PM 02-28-2016
I like the updates! Is there a rate for someone who wants Monday through Friday though?
jenboo 06:45 PM 02-28-2016
My only suggestion would be on your rate page, change drop in to last minute. When I see drop in, I think of a daycare vs last min which makes me think you are coming to my house. I got slightly confused at that part.
Everything else looks great!
Josiegirl 02:03 AM 02-29-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
She's advertising to be a Nanny, not an in home childcare... I wouldn't do an open house if I planned on working in THEIR HOME
That's what I was wondering. Yeh, I agree with you.
Unregistered 08:12 AM 02-29-2016
I think some parents want you to go by their schedule of plans or activities, not yours. Some might not want mess, paint, glitter at their house. Some might like you doing everything too but if you want to attract more people you might want to say you *can* do these activities or they can tell you what they want done, iykwim.
MarinaVanessa 10:34 AM 02-29-2016
I'm going to chime in now that you've made some changes ... this is what I'd still change if your site and advertisement were my own ...

Home Page
About Me
Activities
Rates:

Your Craigslist Ad
It's brief and to the point, I like it.
Unregistered 04:20 PM 02-29-2016
I love the site! Only comment I have is of the pic of you and the child riding bikes, you're not wearing helmets! I know that is totally nit picky of me, but as a parent, I'd skip over you based on that (not so much you not wearing a helmet, but the child not wearing a helmet). Id be concerned because I feel it's an adult's responsibly to ensure his/her kids or kids in their care are wearing helmets when riding bikes, scooters etc. I'm not sure of the laws in your state, but in mine I know bike helmets are mandatory for kids. I'm overly picky/conscious of this because when I was in middle school a friend almost died while riding her bike when she was hit by a car, her helmet saved her life, although she still needed extensive rehab etc. due to other medical issues and missed months of school. Other than that, the site looks great and you come across as a fun and caring provider! Good luck!!
Tags:marketing, website review
Reply Up