Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Our Families Are Unhappy About The New Kiddos
Unregistered 02:15 PM 09-07-2016
Hi everyone,

Some of my families are unhappy about the new kids I choose to enroll because they are all under 2.5 years old and we have Pre-K kids as well.

To give you an idea, we have six kids age 4, and two kids under 2 (both part time) and a 2.5years boy.

Because we still one one space open I was thinking to enroll a 20month old that I really like, but 3 families expressed their concerns over the age ratio.

What do you guys think? I must fill in that spot (for financial reasons) but I also understand why the current families are concerned.
Miss A 02:31 PM 09-07-2016
Are you within your legal ratios per licensing? If this answer is yes, that is what matters most.

Do you feel like you struggle to maintain supervision, provide individual time for each child throughout the day, or like you are losing focus of what your program is?

If you can answer all of these honestly, and the 20 mo the old is still the right fit, then you have your answer. The other families in your care do not get to make business decisions for you. You do not work for them, you offer a service and they choose to utilize your service.
Blackcat31 02:40 PM 09-07-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hi everyone,

Some of my families are unhappy about the new kids I choose to enroll because they are all under 2.5 years old and we have Pre-K kids as well.

To give you an idea, we have six kids age 4, and two kids under 2 (both part time) and a 2.5years boy.

Because we still one one space open I was thinking to enroll a 20month old that I really like, but 3 families expressed their concerns over the age ratio.

What do you guys think? I must fill in that spot (for financial reasons) but I also understand why the current families are concerned.
I am the boss of my own program.

Parents ONLY get to decide if THEY want their child to stay or go. They do NOT get to decide if I enroll anyone for any reason.

If your clients don't like the new kids, then tell them you will pass on the new kids but will have to take the loss of income from those kids and add it to their new rates.

If they want to be part of a small group and it means loss of income for you, then it's only logical that the income you need to live be divided equally among those families that do attend.
Meeko 06:48 AM 09-08-2016
None of their business who you enroll.

You are giving your clients way too much say in YOUR business.
Nurse Jackie 06:52 AM 09-08-2016
Unless they're willing to pay for the open space I wouldn't worry about it.
Unregistered 06:56 AM 09-08-2016
I think those parents really have some gall to tell you what to do. Geesh.
Cat Herder 07:06 AM 09-08-2016
Give them the option to buy out those slots if they are so concerned.

Put your money where your mouth is, DCP.
daycarediva 09:43 AM 09-08-2016
Do they not understand the benefits of mixed age groups? Google an article, print it for them and attach it with a note about the ages of children in care- diversifying your group a bit to better support all children, blah blah. It's true!
sharlan 09:54 AM 09-08-2016
Parents don't get to have any input when it comes to me taking new kids. I don't even say anything until they realize there is a new child.
laundrymom 11:26 AM 09-08-2016
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Parents don't get to have any input when it comes to me taking new kids. I don't even say anything until they realize there is a new child.
This.
Exactly.
I also don't inform them when one leaves.
If they ask I confirm but offer no explanation.
Unregistered 11:44 AM 09-08-2016
I agree that it's not up to parents to dictate your business and that you aren't obligated to get their approval before enrolling more children.

However, I will play devil's advocate. At the time these older families enrolled, did you have children of all one age group? Did you promote your business as being primarily pre-school focused? I understand you would still be maintaining your state ratios, but were you under ratio for awhile and used that as a selling point? Depending on the history, I could understand families being annoyed if they felt they were baited and switched from what they thought was your original daycare setup or philosophy.
Unregistered 12:18 PM 09-08-2016
Thank you all for your inputs.

I was mostly afraid that the ages DID seems off. So you think the ages are well balanced? Six kids over 4 years old and four kids under 3, two are 2.5, two under 2 (if I can the new kid).

I tend to feel overly anxious with daycare stuffs!
AmyKidsCo 01:15 PM 09-08-2016
I agree with everyone else, and think those ages are a good balance.
Unregistered 01:37 PM 09-08-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I agree that it's not up to parents to dictate your business and that you aren't obligated to get their approval before enrolling more children.

However, I will play devil's advocate. At the time these older families enrolled, did you have children of all one age group? Did you promote your business as being primarily pre-school focused? I understand you would still be maintaining your state ratios, but were you under ratio for awhile and used that as a selling point? Depending on the history, I could understand families being annoyed if they felt they were baited and switched from what they thought was your original daycare setup or philosophy.
When they enrolled there was more older children, that since left for preK and K, and we are a play based program. We haven't had small kids in the last two years so is a change. But we are two adults for 10kids and we have helpers three times a week (2hours each day).
Tags:bad fit
Reply Up