Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Flat Rate for Scheduled Overtime?
DBug 03:12 PM 06-03-2011
I recently cut my closing hours back from 6:00 to 5:00 pm. It didn't affect most of the families, but one family rearranged their shifts to accommodate it. DCD is having a hard time getting here for 5:00 because of traffic. He is usually between 5 and 15 minutes late. I've been charging $1/minute overtime ever since I started, and this family has been perfectly fine with paying it immediately, either at pick-up or with their weekly bill (I charge at the end of the week).

Their weekly rate is $125, and for this week and last week I've been capping their late fees at $15. I'm thinking now, instead of calculating what they should pay me, and then what I'm willing to waive (since they are such a great family), that maybe I should just change my hours with JUST them. I'm thinking maybe redo our contract to say 5:10 or 5:15 is pick-up, instead of 5:00pm.

But, I don't want to give the extra time to them for free. I don't think that would be fair to the other families, especially since everyone else is paying a higher rate ($150/week). Up til now I haven't raised rates on current families, I've just made it higher for new families. They're the last family to still be paying the old rate.

So, what do you all think of $25 per week for overtime up to either 5:10 5:15pm each day? Anything over that would be $1/minute. If they are able to change their shifts again so that they can routinely get here by 5pm, we would change their contract back again.

Thoughts?
AfterSchoolMom 03:19 PM 06-03-2011
I'm inclined to think that if you give them 5:15, you're going to get 5:30. That's the sort of thing that happens in my experience.

However, if they're a good family and don't give you any trouble, I think that sounds fair. They probably will too if they're paying late fees every single day. Are they aware that you cap their fees at $15? That may be the only sticking point....
Tags:closing hours, late fee, rates, schedule
Reply Up