Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Marketing
MommyMuffin 05:27 PM 08-12-2011
What have you found is the best use of your advertising money?
MN Mom 07:56 AM 08-13-2011
It depends on how much you have to spend. The more mediums you can market yourself with the better Newspaper ads, shopper (if you have those) ads, posters on a local bullitan board (post office, grocery stores, etc), a website that is SEO (search engine optimized), and word of mouth. You can also try Craig's List and other free online classifieds.
mom2many 08:09 AM 08-13-2011
I have never really done much in the way of advertising... always just relied on word of mouth. However, a few years ago I did put a sign out on the median by our home and got several calls from that. It was one that I hand painted myself, so it cost me virtually nothing and did the job!

Recently I thought I was going to have a couple of spots open up over the summer and had magnetic signs made by vistaprint for my car. I do drop off and pick up at my neighborhood school and this generated some calls as well.

Good luck!
PitterPatter 06:59 PM 08-13-2011
Originally Posted by mom2many:
I have never really done much in the way of advertising... always just relied on word of mouth. However, a few years ago I did put a sign out on the median by our home and got several calls from that. It was one that I hand painted myself, so it cost me virtually nothing and did the job!

Recently I thought I was going to have a couple of spots open up over the summer and had magnetic signs made by vistaprint for my car. I do drop off and pick up at my neighborhood school and this generated some calls as well.
Good luck!
I love those I have the stick on decals in the windows. It would be nice to be able to stick 1 of those magnets on the side and back of a school bus! Everyone would see u, could end badly tho explaining it.

I borrowed an idea I got from someone here, sorry I can't recall who. U can donate some books to Pediatritions offices and have your label (or tape business card) in the inside cover. That would reach parents for sure! If u can't part with any beloved books just hit a yard sale or flea market. Even the dollar store.
melskids 11:32 AM 08-14-2011
i made a couple of tshirts recently. i let the kids put their handprints all over them in BRIGHT fabric paint. on t-shirt transfer paper, i printed my daycare name, number, and website address, and ironed it on the back of the tshirt.

yesterday was our town wide yard sale, so i wore it.

i had quite a few people comment on my shirt, and i handed out a lot of brochures and business cards as well.
sharlan 03:00 PM 08-14-2011
I just placed an ad on a local fast food restaurant's menu for the next year. I'm hoping that helps.
Google Apps for Day Care 06:36 AM 08-15-2011
10 Ideas for Announcing Your Child Care Services

1. Order business cards to hand out and leave behind - vistaprint.com has free business cards available

2. Remind your friends, family, acquaintances, and strangers what you do and how well you do it (again). Don’t be shy about asking for referrals.

3. Introduce yourself and what you do at large organizations in your area. This could include the head of the local union, the HR person at nearby businesses, Head of the PTO, Presidents of local clubs, as well as saying hi at the local Police, Fire and Rescue stations. In other words, find where the masses gather around your town and let them know your expert care services are available...and with that last line, I’m reminded to let the congregations around you know you’re available.

4. Ask for a written reference from past and current parents. Obviously only ask when you know you are going to get a positive response. It may help to provide a few questions for parents to help gain a better response. These are great to have as an ego boost, but they will provide great comfort for new parents considering you.

5. Place a sign in your yard - check local code for approval. Remember that an outdoor sign reflects your business so think beyond cardboard and a marker. :-)

OK, enough of the offline suggestions, here are the online ones. If you are a technophobe, do not panic at all. This is all very easy and help is always nearby.

6. Think of a domain (yourname.com) so you can have business email and a website. By the way, “I’m too small”, “It’s just me and I don’t have the time”, “That stuff is just too complicated for me” or “I can’t afford it” are all things of the past. There are very easy to use, inexpensive tools that are available for day care providers that make this very easy. Clearly you use the Internet - so do your future parents. It is essential to have an Internet presence so that your community has at least a chance of finding you online.

7. Search online for local communities, bulletin boards, forums, associations, even larger sites may have sections broken down by zip code.
List your services/website where applicable. Perhaps the Chamber site, local business directories, daycare.com, etc...

8. Remember to search for where potential parents will be, not where you would like to be. For example, your first choice may not be to join the “local welders discussion”, but you may find that many welders need daycare providers. Point is to think outside the box.

9. Create your website - again very easy with the right tools. Start with something basic: Home page, Your Services (with testimonials), Contact page. In time and when you have time you can always update with more content, features, pictures, colors, etc...

10. Join communities such as Linkedin, Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and/or dozens of other ones to let people know you exist and that you have openings (or to announce you no longer have openings). You can get lost for days in some of these sites so remember the basics. Set up a profile, state your services, link back to your site. Once profiles are set up, check back at your leisure to update and edit.

And finally, some overview comments. Stay positive. You can’t do it all at once so choose a couple of items that work for you and follow through with them. Perhaps a mix of an online and an offline activity to get you started. Focus on your goals, use the right tools, engage in the right activities and you will fill up your vacancies and create a great marketing foundation for your business for years to come.

So there you have it, 10 ideas that could help fill current and future vacancies. Hope something here might be helpful.
Blackcat31 08:53 AM 08-15-2011
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
What have you found is the best use of your advertising money?
One of my dc families owns a print shop so I get stuff cheap...LOL!! but anyways, the mom talked me into these 5"X5" window clings that say "My child is lovingly cared for by ********" and then has my day care logo and phone number on them too.

I gave one to each parent and they placed them in their car windows. Now I have traveling advertising done for me. I have received 2 calls already from them. I don't know if you can get them from Vista print or not but it is worth a try.
MommyMuffin 11:45 AM 08-15-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
One of my dc families owns a print shop so I get stuff cheap...LOL!! but anyways, the mom talked me into these 5"X5" window clings that say "My child is lovingly cared for by ********" and then has my day care logo and phone number on them too.

I gave one to each parent and they placed them in their car windows. Now I have traveling advertising done for me. I have received 2 calls already from them. I don't know if you can get them from Vista print or not but it is worth a try.
That is just adorable! I love it!!
MommyMuffin 11:49 AM 08-15-2011
I have a sign in my yard. I know a new dc provider down the road had a sign out on the HWY by our home. It was up for about a week. I was thinking that would be a good idea I have just been nervous about the city calling me and telling me it is not okay.

I was wondering though, the dc center has a sign like mine on the side of the road. Also people can put up garage sale signs.

Have any of you put signs out on busy streets near your home? Should I just give it a try and if it gets taken down just eat the cost?
Blackcat31 11:55 AM 08-15-2011
I have a sign in my yard. I know a new dc provider down the road had a sign out on the HWY by our home. It was up for about a week. I was thinking that would be a good idea I have just been nervous about the city calling me and telling me it is not okay.

I was wondering though, the dc center has a sign like mine on the side of the road. Also people can put up garage sale signs.

Have any of you put signs out on busy streets near your home? Should I just give it a try and if it gets taken down just eat the cost?

I've never had a sign out on the side of a street or in my yard but I've heard other people tell me that their signs were removed or they were asked to take them down for various reasons but on the other hand, I've also seen alot of signs up and no one says anything so I don't know what the laws are here in my city.

Maybe check with your city and see what they say. If you want to risk it , then I guess the worst thing they could do is to call and tell you to remove it.
PitterPatter 12:01 PM 08-15-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Yes! I have window decals for the car. They allow spaces for your info but u can enter what u want it to say. Great idea Cat!!
Gigi 01:28 AM 09-06-2011
Wearing a shirt with your details is also nice. If you can have a couple of polo shirts with your logo on it and a friendly slogan?

Placing a poster in you local community board or even your pediatrician's clinic might also help. Have a website, or even just a Facebook page and join in your local community forum if you have one?

Hope this helps
pixsydust 01:05 PM 09-06-2011

I just called the township offices where I live and asked about yard signs. I can't have a yard sign but I can attach a sign to my house. The sign can only be 2 sq. ft., but it's better than nothing. I am trying to find a place that makes magnetic signs to hang up on my metal front door.
Meeko 01:21 PM 09-06-2011
The yellow pages. I get calls daily.
Abigail 04:55 PM 09-06-2011
Originally Posted by pixsydust:
I just called the township offices where I live and asked about yard signs. I can't have a yard sign but I can attach a sign to my house. The sign can only be 2 sq. ft., but it's better than nothing. I am trying to find a place that makes magnetic signs to hang up on my metal front door.
You can buy magnetic tape! Use your 2x2 sign and place magnetic tape strips across it and put it on your metal front door! I bought the magnetic tape from Hobby Lobby for less than $5 and have tons of it left! I did use a 40% off coupon. Try it!
Tags:marketing
Reply Up