Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: What is the #1 way you advertise?
newspaper ad 1 1.92%
craig's list 23 44.23%
web-site 6 11.54%
flyers/business cards/yard signs 4 7.69%
word of mouth 17 32.69%
care.com or other similar sites 1 1.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Advertise?
Blackcat31 08:13 AM 07-24-2012
What is the number one way you advertise? Maybe the info collected will help providers struggling to get their names/vancancies out there.
Country Kids 08:17 AM 07-24-2012
I voted word of mouth as thats how I have received 95% of my clientel over the 17 years of doing this. I once did the newspaper (received my first client), name on checks/business cards but the majority has always been word of mouth.
Atroya 08:23 AM 07-24-2012
I also put up signs on the corners where there is a lot of traffic. I live in a small town though...not sure how well that would work in a larger city.
DCMom 08:26 AM 07-24-2012
I've been in business long enough that word of mouth is my only advertisement I use now. When I started out, I used my provider network, the county resource and referral program, a sign in my yard (until the city banned it ) my church bulletin (I also volunteered in the nursery and Sunday School, so people knew me) and the local elementary school. Ads in the small local papers also were effective. My kids were in ECFE, so I also put my name out there.

When I started in 1989, there wasn't online options like care.com, craigslist, facebook or websites like this. Those seem to be the better options for a provider starting out in this electronically connected world.
SunnyDay 09:02 AM 07-24-2012
I've tried everything except the newspaper ad. All of our clients have come from Craigslist or have been families that we already knew.
Atroya 09:12 AM 07-24-2012
Here's a stupid question....how do you put an ad on Craigslist without getting a million crazy emails and phone calls from weird people and people trying to sell you stuff? I put an ad on Craigslist once and was flooded with emails and calls from people about everything under the sun besides daycare, usually using a daycare inquiry as a cover for selling something. It freaked me out, made me totally avoid using Craigslist. I have heard other people say they don't have that problem....so what did I do wrong?
Crazy8 09:16 AM 07-24-2012
Originally Posted by Atroya:
Here's a stupid question....how do you put an ad on Craigslist without getting a million crazy emails and phone calls from weird people and people trying to sell you stuff? I put an ad on Craigslist once and was flooded with emails and calls from people about everything under the sun besides daycare, usually using a daycare inquiry as a cover for selling something. It freaked me out, made me totally avoid using Craigslist. I have heard other people say they don't have that problem....so what did I do wrong?
I've had the same experience - I really just don't think people in my area use craigslist for things like finding childcare. I don't even sell anything on there anymore because its nothing but scammers!!!

I voted website because that's the one that's always "running" but I would say most of my clients came from word of mouth. I am disappointed to see my daycare.com listing doesn't come up in google searches. Does anyone have theirs come up that way??
renodeb 09:18 AM 07-24-2012
I voted word of mouth. I have also gotten quite a few enrollments from my local resource & referral services, its free and a great way to keep your name out. I use craigs list but I have only had about 2 actual enrollments from there. (there are a lot of rate shoppers that lurk on cl so I dont depend on it. I always have a stack of business cards with me and I leave them places and sometimes I even get a chance to give them straight to people. (I use vista print but you can print them yourself). I have been lucky enough to have current clients recommend me to there friends.
Im always on the look out for community bulletin boards at places like grocery stores, restaurants, icecream/frozen yogurt places, even churches. (hince the always having business cards with me)
I think the least effective (biggest waste of money) was placing an add in the local paper. JMO!
This sounds funny but I always try and make sure my front porch is swept and tidy. I have seen cars driving around my neighborhood and they do notice that stuff.
Debbie
sharlan 09:33 AM 07-24-2012
I've registered with the local r&r, not a single call. I've advertized in the local paper and a flyer ($$), without a single call from either. I advertized on a local restaurant's menu ($$$), not a single call

I've gotten a few crazies from Craigslist, but not many. I prefer to place my ads there.
Country Kids 09:38 AM 07-24-2012
Has anyone tried here-Daycare.com with Michael and received any results?

It would be free!
Sugar Magnolia 09:40 AM 07-24-2012
Location! Located downtown, on a well traveled street, next door to an elementary school, across from a church, 1 block from high school, 3 blocks from city/county admin building, on a corner lot. Plus my historical marker is eye catching. Location, location, location.
Crazy8 09:43 AM 07-24-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:

It would be free!
I've been listed here for years - no one has ever mentioned they found me here and when I do a google search for "daycare, my town" daycare.com doesn't come up.
Blackcat31 10:10 AM 07-24-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:

It would be free!
I have actually received two inquiries from the Daycare.com listing in the last year.

One worked out fabulously and is a current full time client and one wanted hours I don't offer.

countrymom 10:33 AM 07-24-2012
Listen people I'm going to tell you how:

YOU NEED TO PUT A SIGN OUT ON YOUR LAWN

I had a mom last week who came for an interview, and you know what she said, she grew up in our community and came back after moving in with her mom, and saw that I was still up and running after several years. She said that by having my sign up showed her that I'm still here and that I was serious about my business. She starts in sept and her girlfriend is also signing up so I'm going to be full again. ( I have a couple of kids going to school)

newspapers are a waste, many people don't read the ads anymore, heck alot of people don't even get the paper.

online, be specific. I have read so many ads that talk about how great their daycares are. use point form, and get to the point.
*don't tell people why you are doing this job
*don't repeat yourself in the ads
*TELL THEM YOU HAVE A CONTRACT--that weens out alot of people
daycarediva 10:41 AM 07-24-2012
75% of all of my clients have been word of mouth. I also put cute pics (no daycare kids though) on my personal facebook. I had a friend show someone those at work randomly, and she called me that evening and switched daycares within two weeks and dcb has been here 3 years now!
Meeko 10:44 AM 07-24-2012
DEX.....I get calls daily.
Willow 11:07 AM 07-24-2012
I don't advertise at all. My families past and present drum up more business than I even want most days :P
countrymom 11:08 AM 07-24-2012
I posted my sign in the decor section. Please do not post it on here. I live in a small community and I'm the only daycare lady (ok the tpt one, but thats a whole other story)
Sugar Magnolia 11:38 AM 07-24-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
DEX.....I get calls daily.
What is it?
Blackcat31 11:52 AM 07-24-2012
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
What is it?
http://www.dexone.com/

Yellow pages (maybe white....I dunno what color they are now....LOL!) but it is advertising in the phone book
MaritimeMummy 11:57 AM 07-24-2012
My home day care agency advertises for me. It's pretty sweet.
Blackcat31 11:59 AM 07-24-2012
Originally Posted by KHiltz:
That is cool....but don't they get a cut of your income then too?
Country Kids 12:01 PM 07-24-2012
OH, I forgot about that! I guess I do advertise through resource and referral every month.
MaritimeMummy 12:09 PM 07-24-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
That is cool....but don't they get a cut of your income then too?
No, I don't give them one red cent for anything they do for me. They're a completely not-for-profit service (well, not from the day care providers, they get their funding to operate from the government, in NS).
Blackcat31 12:17 PM 07-24-2012
No, I don't give them one red cent for anything they do for me. They're a completely not-for-profit service (well, not from the day care providers, they get their funding to operate from the government, in NS).
Oh ok... I had no clue.

I just asked because for some reason I thought I had read that if you belong to an agency, then they send you clients which is awesome but they also take like $10 a day per kid.

I am on another daycare forum where 80% of the members are Canadian so I think that might be where I read it. I know it wasn't the case in every area but wasn't sure.
DCBlessings27 12:19 PM 07-24-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
Listen people I'm going to tell you how:

YOU NEED TO PUT A SIGN OUT ON YOUR LAWN

I had a mom last week who came for an interview, and you know what she said, she grew up in our community and came back after moving in with her mom, and saw that I was still up and running after several years. She said that by having my sign up showed her that I'm still here and that I was serious about my business. She starts in sept and her girlfriend is also signing up so I'm going to be full again. ( I have a couple of kids going to school)

newspapers are a waste, many people don't read the ads anymore, heck alot of people don't even get the paper.

online, be specific. I have read so many ads that talk about how great their daycares are. use point form, and get to the point.
*don't tell people why you are doing this job
*don't repeat yourself in the ads
*TELL THEM YOU HAVE A CONTRACT--that weens out alot of people
We aren't allowed to put signs in our yards here (KS). The sign would have to be on our actual house to be ok. The city also won't allow signs posted on street corners anymore. I've gotten all but 2 of my parents for the last 3 years through Craigslist. I just post the pertinent info and then the link to my website. As for Craigslist crazies, I can usually tell by the email address if it's a valid person. I just delete the others. One parent was through word of mouth. I don't think I've really advertised for over a year though, so I might be out of practice.
MaritimeMummy 12:42 PM 07-24-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Oh ok... I had no clue.

I just asked because for some reason I thought I had read that if you belong to an agency, then they send you clients which is awesome but they also take like $10 a day per kid.

I am on another daycare forum where 80% of the members are Canadian so I think that might be where I read it. I know it wasn't the case in every area but wasn't sure.
I think the word "agency" is deceptive. They don't send me clients. When they advertize for me they list my name and phone number so that people are more likely to get in touch with me as a first point of contact.

I'm really not sure why they refer to them as an agency. They are the ones who come to my house to make sure I am following provincial laws. They get their agency status from the Department of Community Services, which is also where they get their funding.
Michael 01:26 PM 07-24-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I've been listed here for years - no one has ever mentioned they found me here and when I do a google search for "daycare, my town" daycare.com doesn't come up.
That's pretty harsh. You actually have not been listed for a year yet. Daycare.com gets a lot of direct navigation and internal searches. We've seen areas that get great results from the internet depending on how internet savvy a region is. Obviously if more people in an area use the internet, more will contact through it. I always tell providers to offer some kind of discount if a client mentions Daycare.com. We found on PalmSprings.com that most bookings did not mention that they came through our site until the advertisers offered a 10% discount if they mentioned PalmSprings.com. That made all the difference. People will mention where they found a discount even if its for a dollar off!

Many internet users think the internet is Google, Yahoo or Aol. Many times they are not sure how they get were they ended up.

Marketing is not easy. Keep changing your content and advertising strategies until something works. We have had paying providers since 2003 that are still with us. KinderCare pays us every year to list all of their facilities (1700) and they KNOW were their money is coming from. They renew yearly.
Meeko 02:04 PM 07-24-2012
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
What is it?
Dex is the yellow pages here, but they are also a big thing online. People either find me listed in the book or they just enter "daycare (my city)" or such and up pops my info. I can't remember the last time I went a whole day without at least one call. It's a holiday in Utah today (Pioneer Day) and I only have 4 kids here out of 16.
Still got two calls this morning. I get a lot from folks who are moving to the area from out of state. They don't know where to begin, so they look in the yellow pages or online and find me.
Kiki 02:26 PM 07-24-2012
I didn't cast a vote because there isn't an all of the above option. I don't have a way that I advertise more than another, I use a lot of things:

Facebook
My Website
My Listing here (Thanks again! )
Google+
Care.Com
Craigslist (Actually I think that ad has expired)
KSL.Com (Newspaper, free online Advertising)

I just started working on Dex, I didn't even think about that! My site actually shows up as the first one for my city when I search 'In home day care near X City', or similar phrases on Google.

While I was typing this I did a Yahoo! search, and nothing popped up on the front page, so I guess it's time to set a local there too.
originalkat 05:29 PM 07-24-2012
My Best quality and most easily "sold" clients are ALWAYS word of mouth. I also use Craigslist (which is not very useful, but it's free and I occasionally get a call from it), my website got me my most recent client, and signs I put out on the corners which brings in calls but the quality of families is iffy.
DaisyMamma 06:15 PM 07-24-2012
I love all the tips. Thanks everyone. And I just got listed on daycare.com yesterday!

I voted craigslist.
Crazy8 05:13 AM 07-25-2012
Originally Posted by Michael:
That's pretty harsh. You actually have not been listed for a year yet. Daycare.com gets a lot of direct navigation and internal searches. We've seen areas that get great results from the internet depending on how internet savvy a region is. Obviously if more people in an area use the internet, more will contact through it. I always tell providers to offer some kind of discount if a client mentions Daycare.com. We found on PalmSprings.com that most bookings did not mention that they came through our site until the advertisers offered a 10% discount if they mentioned PalmSprings.com. That made all the difference. People will mention where they found a discount even if its for a dollar off!

Many internet users think the internet is Google, Yahoo or Aol. Many times they are not sure how they get were they ended up.

Marketing is not easy. Keep changing your content and advertising strategies until something works. We have had paying providers since 2003 that are still with us. KinderCare pays us every year to list all of their facilities (1700) and they KNOW were their money is coming from. They renew yearly.
I am very sorry, I didn't mean to offend you or this site. I love it here! But I was stating a fact that no one contacting me has ever mentioned daycare.com and I always ask where they got my info. I don't get many calls lately (see my other thread about that) but when I do they usually say "I just googled and found your website". It is not a dig at daycare.com at all - it is simply the way it comes up in a search and most people will use a search engine when looking for something like daycare - daycare.com does come up on page 2 or 3 and because I do have a website, a daycare facebook page and am listed on other sources it just never ends up that they make it that far before they've already found me. Also, I have been listed here for MANY years - my old daycare name was in the listings and I haven't used that name for at least 5 years so I am sure I listed it long ago. Again, I didn't mean to sound harsh, I'm sorry you took it that way.
Wanda 02:08 AM 08-27-2012
I was so glad to find your site by chance after dealing with Care.com for the past 2 days. Care.com does NOT recognize licensed home child care. When I mentioned on my profile that I was licensed, they denied my profile and said I would need to register as a business. The only category in the business section *is for childcare centers. *In the regular section there is only "babsitter" or "nanny". *Very frustrating. So good to see a site that recognizes the professional licensed childcare homes! Do you advertize on TV? How do potential clients hear of your site?
Michael 02:07 PM 08-27-2012
Thank you. Please consider registering. Daycare.com has been on the internet since 1997 and we are listed #1 when parents
search for "Daycare" on Google, Yahoo and Bing.
MarinaVanessa 03:22 PM 08-27-2012
I get most of my inquiries through the internet. I have a facebook, and list my daycare in the google places/business directories (have to list the address) which all have links to my website. I have also listed on CL with a link to my website however I get more hits through google places. People type in daycare in [my city name] and I pop up on the first google maps page and second page of the google search listings. It helps that I update my website regularly and submitted my website URL manually to all the search engines, that's one of the reasons that I get high placements. It's all free btw. I only pay a small yearly fee for my website because I wanted unlimited pages but I did very well with ther free version too (get 8 free pages). I now average about 3-4 calls amd 1 email a week from this. I got 3 calls just from today that I have to return and turn down .
Tags:care.com, daycare.com, marketing
Reply Up