Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Where To Get Donated Items And Free Or Cheap Materials And Toys?
1MOMs 09:38 PM 10-27-2012
Hi all,

I am new to the home daycare field. I am in the licensing process to begin caring for children in Illinois but I do not have a lot of the toys and materials (storage, furniture, etc.) that is needed to even begin caring for children. I am going to be using the lower level of my home and it is a fairly large area (split into 2 large rooms - one is currently being used as a classroom area because I homeschool my older daughters - and a bathroom). It looks very empty right now, as it was used as my children's "playroom" for them to run around in on days when we've had poor weather. I have children of my own but it is not enough to fill the rooms with or to even begin my program with. Does anyone know people or companies who donate their unwanted toys and materials to new providers? Also, would it be a good idea to go to daycare centers in my area and ask for donations? I don't have hardly any money to buy any items to get started but I want to begin caring for children as soon as I receive my license (which will be within the next 3 weeks). Any help or advice you can offer is greatly appreciated!
Kelly 09:09 AM 10-28-2012
I got most of mine from rummage sales, thrift stores, freecycle and craigslist. Just check items out first to make sure they haven't been recalled.
LK5kids 10:18 AM 10-28-2012
I owned a group center that was licensed for 30 children and filled it entirely with rummage sale toys.
Those toys are long gone as I sold that business a long time ago. I only bought cribs for full price.

I'm getting back into family day care and I've been going to rummage sales, GoodWill and a children's consignment store for toys and equipment.

I also keep an eye out for sales. I just got three great toys @ 75% discount at Barnes and Noble. One is a wooden VW van with 6 people and a dog. It was originally $35.00 and I bought it for $8.00 and a wooden pull toy that was $19.00 and I got it for $5.00. The other is a cloth mailbox that I think was $25.00 for about $6.50.

What about family and friends or people from your church or other groups you belong to? People tend to donate items when they know you are looking.
So many families have so many toys and I've known many who just want to down-size.
cheerfuldom 11:26 AM 10-28-2012
I would not suggest going to daycares to ask for donations directly. I cant imagine this will go over very well at all and to be honest, there are many providers that ask for free stuff when getting started so many people are sort of hardened to helping one another out. I think you need to take the hit and drum up some funds for second hand items to get started. thrift stores and garage sales are a good start. I know it is hard to get started but this is your business, you will have to get on your feet on your own. Asking friends and family could be helpful depending on who you know. Maybe they will sell to you but take an IOU for now till you get your first few paychecks ?
AllDeezBabies 05:26 PM 10-28-2012
Originally Posted by 1MOMs:
Hi all,

I am new to the home daycare field. I am in the licensing process to begin caring for children in Illinois but I do not have a lot of the toys and materials (storage, furniture, etc.) that is needed to even begin caring for children. I am going to be using the lower level of my home and it is a fairly large area (split into 2 large rooms - one is currently being used as a classroom area because I homeschool my older daughters - and a bathroom). It looks very empty right now, as it was used as my children's "playroom" for them to run around in on days when we've had poor weather. I have children of my own but it is not enough to fill the rooms with or to even begin my program with. Does anyone know people or companies who donate their unwanted toys and materials to new providers? Also, would it be a good idea to go to daycare centers in my area and ask for donations? I don't have hardly any money to buy any items to get started but I want to begin caring for children as soon as I receive my license (which will be within the next 3 weeks). Any help or advice you can offer is greatly appreciated!
Fellow Illinoisian here.

When I started, I went to the thrift stores. You'd be surprised by the stuff you can find. I found daycare chairs (the sturdy ones), cots, cubby shelves, toys. One trift store I got a book case, two toy shelves and 5 chairs for $22 dollars. At the last minute the guy threw in the book case because he said since we purchase so much to go ahead and take it, it was sitting there for a few weeks.

Thrifting is the way to go when getting started. Well it was the way to go for me. I have a facebook page and asked friends to donate old toys, arts and crafts and the like. They gave me so many things. They were relieved I was able to take them off their hands.

Good luck and congrats on your new business!!!
Reply Up