Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Paying For FB To Promote/Boost Your Posts??
Crazy8 11:04 AM 01-24-2014
Anyone try it?

I have a fb page for my daycare - most of the likes are real life friends of mine, past/present families, etc. I've asked friends to share the page on their own walls but only a few have here and there.

So, this week I decided to try the "boost your post" thing on FB. Paid $5. Supposedly my post reached over 1500 people - most of my posts reach 20-50 people tops, a few times I had a few friends share it and got up to about 300 views. BUT I didn't gain a single new "like" from it and not a single inquiry for care.

Anyone look into the FB advertising/post boosting/promoting?? Any tips or suggestions?? Trying to find ways to get my info out to the local community via FB.
TwinKristi 11:25 AM 01-24-2014
I just started my FB page last week. I only have maybe 2-3 people on there who aren't my friends/family but their friends/family. I haven't paid anything yet but have considered it. I don't really know how it works?
Cat Herder 11:32 AM 01-24-2014
I thought about trying that but just changed the setting to "friends of friends" on a few really cool daycare photos I posted (faces blurred or blocked of course).

When clients/friends clicked "like" their friends could then see the photos in their feeds, too. Within hours I had private messages asking to be put on waitlist.

Facebook seems to have invented "word of mouth from friends" without their knowledge or effort... go figure.

People like to share photos, but ignore ads.
Crazy8 11:38 AM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I thought about trying that but just changed the setting to "friends of friends" on a few really cool daycare photos I posted (faces blurred or blocked of course).

When clients/friends clicked "like" their friends could then see the photos in their feeds, too. Within hours I had private messages asking to be put on waitlist.

Facebook seems to have invented "word of mouth from friends" without their knowledge or effort... go figure.

People like to share photos, but ignore ads.
is yours a regular "friend" page or a business "like" page?? Mine is a business page and the only option for photos is "shared with anyone who can see this page". I can make posts public, but not photos. I do have a separate friend page that just dc families are friended on and parents have shared those photos on their own pages but hasn't gotten me any inquiries. I also comment on their pages/posts/photos under my daycare name.
Cat Herder 11:43 AM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
is yours a regular "friend" page or a business "like" page??
I started mine before I knew there were business pages. I did not open a personal one until 2 years later...

My last name is Childcare.....
itlw8 11:53 AM 01-24-2014
I have not paid .. yet but thought about it. My ds shared a picture of the kids sledding and it got 100 hits that day. HIS friends had kids so I think that is the way to go Problem is the best pictures are on the secret page because the kids have faces. Even if I get no new clients grandparents are learning what the kids are doing and stopped saying they need to go to preschool.

I have linked my facebook page on my craigslist ad hope that helps.... next is a web page ( after I finish my taxes next week)
TwinKristi 12:12 PM 01-24-2014
I haven't had any issues from parents about having the Facebook page. I have some photo waivers I need to print out but everyone said "oh of course!" when I asked. I was afraid to even ask because I know some parents are really weird about it, and I may have been back in the day, but so far so good. I have 90+ likes. Next is the referral offer I'm doing. If they refer someone you can get a $50 visa GC after their referral's 4th week of care! I did have someone refer me after that. LOL They didn't sign up but it obviously worked!
_Dana_ 12:39 PM 01-24-2014
Crazy8,

What are you currently posting on your FB page? My DKPs have signed photo waivers and beg me to post/tag pics on my FB page b/c they love seeing their LO's in action. Depending on their privacy preferences, the tagged pics of their kids are then added to all of their friends and family's timelines. I feel that it also builds trust in me and my business because parents are to see their children having fun on a regular basis.

Something else to think about. It isn't about your "fans." Your fans already know they like you and your business. Its about your fans' friends!! These are the people that you want to see the pics and posts. When you go to insights, you will see how many page clicks, likes, comments, and shares there were. This is where I find out how effective my posts really are.

For FB, I post most of my material on Tuesdays before noon b/c that is when most of my fans are online and most likely to be engaged with my page. A lot of local people don't know me personally because we just moved to town this summer. However, they are familiar with my page when the subject of local child care providers comes up. One of my DCM's often sends me screenprints of convos she has with her peditrician/family/friends and how much they love seeing all the fun things her children are doing at daycare. So, while they are not "fans" I know my page is being seen and discussed around my community. And it's free!

Personally, I think that as long as you can engage your fans through comments, likes and shares, there is no need to pay to promote your page.
blandino 12:42 PM 01-24-2014
I have tried to use the FB advertising multiple times last year, and out of the 3/4 times, I have received one response from it. The woman was at the opposite side of town, so it didn't work out.

I really thought it was a great idea, and have spent a decent amount of money on it (upwards of $200.00 total), and it just never panned out. It was cool in theory because I could choose to advertise to women in my city, ages 25-25, and some other cool demographic things. But nothing every came of it.

I think a FAR better advertising method is the postcard type things that go in the mail to people in your area.
Lyss 12:48 PM 01-24-2014
I'm part of a blogging community and FB views is a HUGE issue right now. FB has said they are beginning to gradually decrease the reach of all pages so even if your clients have liked your page (and clicked all notifications) they still may not see the updates. The posts that get the best views are plain text and photos.

I've only heard negative things about paying to increase views, most people notice a loss in page views after the initial bump from paying to boost a post. PS Boosting only increases the views by people that have already liked your page

Maybe ask your current fans to share your page? Might bring in a few more likes
_Dana_ 12:56 PM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by Lyss:
FB has said they are beginning to gradually "decrease the reach of all pages" so even if your clients have like your page they may not see the updates. The ones that get the best views are plain text and photos.
I have noticed this. Which is why I am sure to tag the parents in the pics that include their children. If I don't tag the pics, I might get 15 views. But, if I tag the pics, I get several hundred views and lots of people engaged. I also share the post/pics from my business page to my husbands and my personal pages to be sure that our friends and family get engaged too.

Facebook is my main source of advertising. I spend $0 on it and it works very well for me.
caregiver 01:05 PM 01-24-2014
I have my own personal FB page and my DCP's are friends on my Fb, but I am very cautious and careful when putting anything on my page.
I don't like to give out too much info on myself or what I do as you just never know who is out there looking at your FB page and what they are looking for.
Also my dcp's have said that they do not want me to post any pics of their kids on there and I have to respect their wishes.
For me personally, I would not use fb for my daycare to advertise, but that is just me. I just feel safer not having any nutty person look at my page for any reason.
Crazy8 12:35 PM 01-25-2014
Originally Posted by _Dana_:
Crazy8,

What are you currently posting on your FB page? My DKPs have signed photo waivers and beg me to post/tag pics on my FB page b/c they love seeing their LO's in action. Depending on their privacy preferences, the tagged pics of their kids are then added to all of their friends and family's timelines. I feel that it also builds trust in me and my business because parents are to see their children having fun on a regular basis.

Something else to think about. It isn't about your "fans." Your fans already know they like you and your business. Its about your fans' friends!! These are the people that you want to see the pics and posts. When you go to insights, you will see how many page clicks, likes, comments, and shares there were. This is where I find out how effective my posts really are.

For FB, I post most of my material on Tuesdays before noon b/c that is when most of my fans are online and most likely to be engaged with my page. A lot of local people don't know me personally because we just moved to town this summer. However, they are familiar with my page when the subject of local child care providers comes up. One of my DCM's often sends me screenprints of convos she has with her peditrician/family/friends and how much they love seeing all the fun things her children are doing at daycare. So, while they are not "fans" I know my page is being seen and discussed around my community. And it's free!

Personally, I think that as long as you can engage your fans through comments, likes and shares, there is no need to pay to promote your page.
That's the thing - people aren't seeing the posts/pics on the page - I believe only people who like my page see the stuff. IF someone who likes my page comments or likes something THEN I think their friends would see stuff, but no one ever likes/comments on stuff on that page to get it out there more.

Part of it is that I have the private friend page for my current families. I post face pics on there and any detailed info (like vac days, tax info, etc.) goes on that page. I believe their friends will still see info on there if they like/comment on it, so it still has potential but my max is 5 kids so its not like I have 10-15 people liking/commenting. I use the private page (first name is my daycare, last name is parents, LOL) to comment on my dcf's personal pages too, so I know my dc name is getting to their friends but it just isn't generating any new likes or anything.
_Dana_ 03:22 PM 01-25-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
That's the thing - people aren't seeing the posts/pics on the page - I believe only people who like my page see the stuff. IF someone who likes my page comments or likes something THEN I think their friends would see stuff, but no one ever likes/comments on stuff on that page to get it out there more.

Part of it is that I have the private friend page for my current families. I post face pics on there and any detailed info (like vac days, tax info, etc.) goes on that page. I believe their friends will still see info on there if they like/comment on it, so it still has potential but my max is 5 kids so its not like I have 10-15 people liking/commenting. I use the private page (first name is my daycare, last name is parents, LOL) to comment on my dcf's personal pages too, so I know my dc name is getting to their friends but it just isn't generating any new likes or anything.

Do your DCPs allow you to tag them in the pics? I've found that makes a big difference in whether the pics get seen and people engaged. In the pic information, I tag my business as the location of where the pic was taken.

I also include a tidbit about why the activity is beneficial to the children's development and how to promote further development. That way, not only do they get to see pics of their little darlings, but parents and their friends/family are learning too.
Maria2013 04:11 PM 01-25-2014
don't have a fb page, but good luck to you
Daycaregranny 06:03 PM 01-26-2014
Just want to tell you of my experience with fb. I have my own personal fb account and a daycare account. All my parents know and have signed waivers for my business page they also take pics from it and use them on their own. I only have parents allowed on my daycare fb. That being said, my son in laws niece had her fb hacked into. They stole her pic and had been using it as another person! They also used pics of my grandson as this invented persons brother! It was really creepy!!!!! So I guess I just wanted to say fb is not secure! Parents should be told this especially when it comes to pictures. Once they are out there anyone can use them. Just be aware.
TwinKristi 08:39 PM 01-26-2014
Originally Posted by Daycaregranny:
Just want to tell you of my experience with fb. I have my own personal fb account and a daycare account. All my parents know and have signed waivers for my business page they also take pics from it and use them on their own. I only have parents allowed on my daycare fb. That being said, my son in laws niece had her fb hacked into. They stole her pic and had been using it as another person! They also used pics of my grandson as this invented persons brother! It was really creepy!!!!! So I guess I just wanted to say fb is not secure! Parents should be told this especially when it comes to pictures. Once they are out there anyone can use them. Just be aware.
Well anyone can do this with any pictures! Lots of people use a tag across pics to prevent them from being stolen or cropped. I have a friend who's 23wk preemie had her pics stolen and started a page to get donations and such. It's sick!!
Tags:advertising, facebook, marketing
Reply Up