Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Big Afternoon Snack?
Shell 12:16 PM 06-26-2014
I love my dc kids, but they drive me crazy in the afternoon. I don't know if it's the on demand snacking that they do at home and with grandparents, or what, but these kids are ravenous when they wake up from nap. I've worked in centers for years, and kids were always given a snack around 230 or 3, whenever they all were up from nap, and that was it until they got picked up. We have lunch at 12 (they all eat everything: meat, grain, fruit, veggies), and then something like organic crackers, yogurt, Cheerios-all stuff we served at the 4 centers I've worked at, but these kids are literally at my feet whining and signing for "more" and the ones that can talk keep asking for more, even after a hearty serving. I could give them yogurt and crackers- they want more of everything, but this stuff is expensive (we are a mostly organic daycare). Oh and at 430, one boy totally loses it- I give him fruit to help tide him over for 30 mins until pick up- but goodness, I've never seen such a hungry group!
Heidi 12:23 PM 06-26-2014
Will you food program allow you to claim Snack, Lunch, and Dinner?

Mine does. I serve Breakfast (claim as snack, but has 3 components), Lunch, and Dinner (usually cheese & crackers or sandwiches, and fruit/veggies, and milk). They all eat breakfast at home, and then I serve at 9-12-3:30 ish.

Call them and ask-tell them your kiddos just need more that time of day!
crazydaycarelady 12:32 PM 06-26-2014
Can you hold off snack to 3:00-3:30? I give the kids a big snack (i.e. 3yo gets a whole banana, a couple of graham crackers and a glass of milk) around that time and then I offer a drink of water around 4:30. That should hold them till dinner.
AmyKidsCo 12:54 PM 06-26-2014
I have a later snack too - 3:30ish - and that seems to hold them until pick up time.
LysesKids 01:11 PM 06-26-2014
I claim lunch, afternoon snack and dinner (2 of my 3 kids stay after 6pm)... I also do a light snack at 9am but can't count it. maybe pushing snack a little later would help?
midaycare 01:31 PM 06-26-2014
My snack is later too - sometimes at 4, even. It seems to work.
Blackcat31 01:37 PM 06-26-2014
My snack is also at 3:30-4:00 and it ONLY includes veggies or a protein.

I never serve a carb for snack.

Protein or veggies only. I WANT them to be hungry at dinner time at home.
Unregistered 01:44 PM 06-26-2014
My snack is later too.We wake up from nap at 3:00p.m.,put cots away,bathroom,change diapers,brush hair.
By that time it's a little after 3:30p.m./3:45p.m.
Snack always consist of two items:
Yogurt/strawberries
Granola bar/apples
Hummmus/carrots
String cheese/crackers,etc.
They ALWAYS ask for more and I tell them the same thing.
It's a snack,not a meal!
Give them lots of water to drink with snack,evan if you serve milk.It helps.
TwinKristi 03:13 PM 06-26-2014
Yeah definitely try a cup of milk with it. Here you have to wait til 4pm for dinner so I don't know if they'll hold out that long for you to serve something more substantial. It's worth it cost wise too if you compare breakfast to dinner! It's like 90 cents per meal?
Shell 03:49 PM 06-26-2014
Thanks for all the great replies. I will push it back a little later, and try the milk
Heidi 05:37 PM 06-26-2014
We eat snack at 3:30/3:45, and by the time they get home and dinner is ready, it's 6:15/6:30, I think. Not one parent has every said their kiddo isn't hungry at dinner.

Also, even though I claim it as a snack, the quantities are definately the minimum for each category, whereas at lunch, there are often seconds or even thirds available.
Tags:afternoon snack time, feeding, hunger, pm snack, snack
Reply Up