Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Crying 5mo
alecia34 08:46 AM 03-10-2015
Hello,

I am new here and looking forward to chatting with all of you. I am excited to find a place to talk about childcare issues.

I have been in the childcare business for 15 years, took a year off twice but always come back.

I have a 5mo that has been coming to me now for about 4 weeks. She cries all day long. The only time she does not cry is when she sleeps and that is rare as well. She doesn't take bottles from me most of the time either. She seems scared and angry. She cries while being held of not, she is just not amused to me here. Thankfully the mom is great, very sweet and willing to help make this transition easier on everyone but so far nothing works. Any tips as to things I could do to help her?

Thanks for reading,
Alecia
Gemma 10:10 AM 03-10-2015
Welcome
Does she cry as much at home? Does she cry if her mom is holding her?
alecia34 11:06 AM 03-10-2015
Thank you for your reply.

Mom says she doesn't cry as much at home. I can tell mom holds her a lot but she won't even stop crying when I am holding her. She just cries non stop all day for 4 weeks now. I feel so bad for her because she seems scared. Her mom did say that in the last weeks no one can hold her but her. She is even crying with dad at this point. I wish I could soothe her but nothing I do works. The swing will work for moments but I can't leave her there all day, ya know?
Gemma 03:39 PM 03-10-2015
I wish I could help you but, you said you've "been in childcare business for 15yrs", I trust that by now, you've tried everything I could suggest to you, so at this point, I'd say you can either bare with the crying until it stops, or terminate care.
Blackcat31 06:32 AM 03-11-2015
Some kids are simply not cut out for child care.

She might be one of those kids.

Personally, if I felt I've already tried everything in my bag of tricks and things are just not improving, then I'd have to term.

My sanity is more important than any income I'd lose.
Play Care 06:48 AM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Some kids are simply not cut out for child care.

She might be one of those kids.

Personally, if I felt I've already tried everything in my bag of tricks and things are just not improving, then I'd have to term.

My sanity is more important than any income I'd lose.

I've had infants who were just high needs. They might be fine at home, even if they were not being held all the time. Two adults, a quieter environment, etc. I did it ONCE and swore never again!
Gemma 09:15 AM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:

I've had infants who were just high needs. They might be fine at home, even if they were not being held all the time. Two adults, a quieter environment, etc. I did it ONCE and swore never again!

If they're fine at home, then I'm willing to try, but if crying is all they do at home too, then I go as long as my patience lets me, then I end the service.
I've had 2 infants that were lets say "difficult", they both outgrew their fussiness by 7-8mos...so there is hope, it all depends on how much the provider can bare and also on the space and settings, cause the rest of the children should not have to listen to a baby crying all the time
Reply Up