Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What's in A Name???
Orange2001 06:34 AM 06-17-2016
OK, I'm in the process of naming my home based childcare and wondering.... daycare or childcare???? Include your name??? The ideas I'm playing with...

Pumpkin Patch Daycare (or Childcare)

*****'s Pumpkin Patch .... with or without DC or CC

spell it cute? the teacher in me doesn't like it...

Punkin Patch....

Thanks!!!
LindseyA 06:43 AM 06-17-2016
I personally wouldn't misspell it to make it cute. That's my opinion though. Not trying to bash those that do. If you are dead set on using pumpkin patch, I think either of your choices will work well (daycare or childcare) or your name in front. I might suggest saying the potential business names a lot, and I think naturally you will find one that you like saying more than the rest. I had a hard time choosing the "perfect" name for my daycare, and even now, I could take it or leave it.... 10 years later!
CityGarden 06:49 AM 06-17-2016
Spell the name correctly, it rarely is justified to use an alternate spelling and risk parents being turned off just by the fact you the provider made a conscious choice to use poor spelling.

Also I would not add your name plus Pumpkin Patch.... I think Name's Daycare is fine but Name's Pumpkin Patch Daycare seems longer than needed.

In my area most places that use the verbiage child care are centers so I assume that but that is based on my local area.

Some on here HIGHLY suggest you put the city name in your business name so it is google / online search friendly.

I have been tweaking my business name for a couple months so I understand it can mean a lot depending on the person. (btw - I will not be adding the city name to my business name FWIW.)
Orange2001 07:46 AM 06-17-2016
My favorite color is Orange I have many things orange I would like to use for the childcare and so on... That was why Pumpkin theme was drawing to me... But I also like the use of my city name in there, it's a small town, less then 3,000 people. Although there is one 'center' it shouldn't be a center at all and I don't know how they are still in operation after 2 years of no licences, it's disturbing to me, but their name has Daycare in which was why Childcare seemed to be what I wanted to go with...
CityGarden 08:03 AM 06-17-2016
Originally Posted by PumpkinPatch:
My favorite color is Orange I have many things orange I would like to use for the childcare and so on... That was why Pumpkin theme was drawing to me... But I also like the use of my city name in there, it's a small town, less then 3,000 people. Although there is one 'center' it shouldn't be a center at all and I don't know how they are still in operation after 2 years of no licences, it's disturbing to me, but their name has Daycare in which was why Childcare seemed to be what I wanted to go with...
You are not limited to just child care and day care

There is:

Pumpkin Patch Child Care
Pumpkin Patch Day Care
Pumpkin Patch Day Nursery
Pumpkin Patch Nursery School
Pumpkin Patch Preschool
Pumpkin Patch Playgarden
Pumpkin Patch Children's Center
Pumpkin Patch Home Day Care

etc.
AnythingsPossible 09:09 AM 06-17-2016
My personal preference would be to leave of the daycare and/or child care. I wish I would have done this as my business name is so long with child care in the name. I would go with *****'s Pumpkin Patch, but that's just me! If you prefer to have it on there, I would use Child care over daycare. Again, personal opinion but it seems more professional.
jenboo 12:09 PM 06-17-2016
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
My personal preference would be to leave of the daycare and/or child care. I wish I would have done this as my business name is so long with child care in the name. I would go with *****'s Pumpkin Patch, but that's just me! If you prefer to have it on there, I would use Child care over daycare. Again, personal opinion but it seems more professional.
I would add daycare or childcare other wise people might get confused. I would think you were literally a pumpkin patch. I tend to pick long names and then just shorten them when talking about them.
AmyKidsCo 12:29 PM 06-17-2016
ITA that you need daycare or childcare. If you're family child care I'd include "family" so people don't think you're a group center.
Michael 02:56 PM 06-17-2016
As a reminder, if a website is also in your plans, make sure you can register the domain name of the business name you choose.

PumpkinPatchChildCare.com - is NOT available
PumpkinPatchDayCare.com - is NOT available
PumpkinPatchFamilyCare.com - IS available

Here is another thread advancing websites and domain names: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82982
Sunchimes 04:56 PM 06-17-2016
When I started, a very wise woman in the classifieds department of the local paper suggested I not use daycare. She said people would automatically think it was adult daycare. So, officially, I'm childcare.

We have a large elderly population, so that may be why she mentioned it.
Mike 05:08 PM 06-17-2016
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
When I started, a very wise woman in the classifieds department of the local paper suggested I not use daycare. She said people would automatically think it was adult daycare. So, officially, I'm childcare.

We have a large elderly population, so that may be why she mentioned it.
Yup
When I was talking to someone about my plans, I said daycare and they asked if I meant elderly or children. We also have a growing retirement population here.
CityGarden 05:16 PM 06-17-2016
Originally Posted by Mike:
Yup
When I was talking to someone about my plans, I said daycare and they asked if I meant elderly or children. We also have a growing retirement population here.
I forgot that I read those on here before. Good point!
Michael 04:38 PM 06-18-2016
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
I forgot that I read those on here before. Good point!
We have over 200,000 facility listings on Daycare.com. Most are called either Daycare and Childcare. Its usually called eldercare.
Mike 06:46 PM 06-18-2016
Originally Posted by Michael:
We have over 200,000 facility listings on Daycare.com. Most are called either Daycare and Childcare. Its usually called eldercare.
I was kind of surprised when the person thought I might have meant elderly, but I'm guessing being a male may have had some influence on their initial thought. Male daycare (as in kids ) is still only accepted by a small percentage of people.
Tags:business name, domain names, marketing, naming your business
Reply Up