Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Late Fees Letter help
284878 11:28 AM 09-29-2016
I have read through some of the other threads on late fees. I still not sure how to word a letter to this dcf.

I do contract hours and this dcf pick up before anyone else. So when I pulled the months sign in / out sheet, I notice a min or 2 late once a week. Basically, I was not watching the clock and dcm must of walked in as the clock changed time. Ok, I let it go. But it keep happening, so I started highlighting after the fact and now before she arrives. A few times she has texted saying she was going to be 5 minutes late. She text early enough, about 45 minutes before p/u time. (Which is not approved by me)
Anyways, she approached me about adjust here contract hours and I comment about her being late. We changed there hours, dropping off later and picking up later. She was late again on the first day of the new hours but not again until yesterday, when she texted just after 4 saying she would be late by 5 minutes. I did not hear the text, (having trouble with my phone notification).
I am torn on what to do. In one of Tom blogs about enforcing rules, it says do what makes you happy. So far I have not enforced anything for 1-2 minutes. But now with the later p/u time (which is still earlier than my other family) and dcm texting that she is going to be late (more than 1-2 minutes) it is starting to bother me and with winter coming, it could increase dcm tardiness.
Any recommendations on what to do or how to approach this?
Blackcat31 11:43 AM 09-29-2016
Originally Posted by 284878:
I have read through some of the other threads on late fees. I still not sure how to word a letter to this dcf.

I do contract hours and this dcf pick up before anyone else. So when I pulled the months sign in / out sheet, I notice a min or 2 late once a week. Basically, I was not watching the clock and dcm must of walked in as the clock changed time. Ok, I let it go. But it keep happening, so I started highlighting after the fact and now before she arrives. A few times she has texted saying she was going to be 5 minutes late. She text early enough, about 45 minutes before p/u time. (Which is not approved by me)
Anyways, she approached me about adjust here contract hours and I comment about her being late. We changed there hours, dropping off later and picking up later. She was late again on the first day of the new hours but not again until yesterday, when she texted just after 4 saying she would be late by 5 minutes. I did not hear the text, (having trouble with my phone notification).
I am torn on what to do. In one of Tom blogs about enforcing rules, it says do what makes you happy. So far I have not enforced anything for 1-2 minutes. But now with the later p/u time (which is still earlier than my other family) and dcm texting that she is going to be late (more than 1-2 minutes) it is starting to bother me and with winter coming, it could increase dcm tardiness.
Any recommendations on what to do or how to approach this?
Was her rate adjusted when the contracted times were adjusted?

I would write a reminder letter (as if it were to ALL families) and shore up the "rules" for contracted hours. Discuss how texting ahead of time does not equate to permission for being late. There is still a fee.

I'd also discuss how being late is rude, disrespectful and avoidable with planning.

If you need assistance writing something like that, let me know...I will gladly help.
Controlled Chaos 12:22 PM 09-29-2016
I allow a 5min grace period up until I close, then I charge $1 per minute after that. So if family picks up at 4pm, but arrives at 4:03 I don't worry about it. If they pick up at 4:09 they owe me $9. I don't tell the parents I give them that grace period, but I hate keeping track and get busy doing other things than watching the clock. I do have one family that will hand me cash for being late when I didn't even realize they were late - they are so well trained ...maybe they shouldn't be late so I often that they are so good at it

Whatever work for you though
284878 03:38 PM 09-29-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Was her rate adjusted when the contracted times were adjusted?

I would write a reminder letter (as if it were to ALL families) and shore up the "rules" for contracted hours. Discuss how texting ahead of time does not equate to permission for being late. There is still a fee.

I'd also discuss how being late is rude, disrespectful and avoidable with planning.

If you need assistance writing something like that, let me know...I will gladly help.
No the rate was not changed because the new hours are less then before and they are still inside my earliest and latest times I allow. (Allowed 7-6 - their hours 8:3-5)

I would love help with a letter. Thank you
284878 03:48 PM 09-29-2016
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I allow a 5min grace period up until I close, then I charge $1 per minute after that. So if family picks up at 4pm, but arrives at 4:03 I don't worry about it. If they pick up at 4:09 they owe me $9. I don't tell the parents I give them that grace period, but I hate keeping track and get busy doing other things than watching the clock. I do have one family that will hand me cash for being late when I didn't even realize they were late - they are so well trained ...maybe they shouldn't be late so I often that they are so good at it

Whatever work for you though
Thank you, this is how I feel too.
Ariana 05:40 PM 09-29-2016
Dear DCM,
Going forward I will be adhering to my policy and charging late fees. As per my contract late fees are as follows "blah blah blah"
Thank you for your understanding. If you have any questions or concerns please let me know,

I personally would address this in an email to all the families so you are not singling her out and this way everyone gets the message. You can also sidestep drama this way.
happymom 03:41 PM 09-30-2016
I'd be so screwed if my daycare did things this way! Family based care is awesome, but reading this forum keeps reiterating that the flexibility of a daycare center was the right choice for me.
284878 08:33 PM 09-30-2016
Originally Posted by happymom:
I'd be so screwed if my daycare did things this way! Family based care is awesome, but reading this forum keeps reiterating that the flexibility of a daycare center was the right choice for me.
How so?
lovemydaycare0912 05:12 AM 10-01-2016
Originally Posted by happymom:
I don't understand. Flexibility as in being able to pick up late and not have to pay a late fee? How is that fair to the provider to work overtime when she or he has a life outside of work as well? I apologize if I misinterpreted your statement.
Tags:late, tardy
Reply Up