Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child With Allergies?
amberleigh222 06:31 PM 09-22-2017
I have a 2 year old child in my care with severe milk and acidic fruit allergies. I've been very successful in having him stay clear of those foods, but he is also a major food stealer. Today I served my other kiddos mandarin oranges and gave him a substitute to make up for the missing spot on his plate. This hasn't been a problem before, as the other children beg to have the mandarin oranges. I never saw him steal the oranges as I have 8 other children I'm looking after. He did have his reaction and I feel terrible. I definitely heard from the parents and will never be serving any acidic fruit to other children in his presence again. Has this ever happened to anyone? How does everyone else deal with food allergies?
e.j. 07:55 PM 09-22-2017
I had one child who had severe reactions to certain foods. He sat at one end of the table, as far away from the other kids as possible. Although he didn't steal food, I made sure there was enough space between him and the other kids that he couldn't steal food if ever he decided to try. He sat in a booster seat with a belt around him so I could vacuum up any dropped food before he left the table. I also made sure none of the kids took food or drink away from the table. Sippies and food stay on the table; nothing food/drink related is allowed in the playroom for sanitary reasons but also because I didn't want him accidentally ingesting anything he was allergic to. '

I cared for that dcb for 3 years and never had an incident until the day before he left for kindergarten. A child sitting across the table from him picked up her sippie cup to drink from it. It slipped from her hand and fell onto the table. A couple of drops of milk fell on to the table but a single drop - I watched it in what felt like slow motion! - flew out of the "spill proof" cap and went directly into the dcb's eye. Within about a second, his eye turned bright red and began to swell. That goodness for Benedryl! I gave him a dose of that (according to his action plan) and while it took some time to kick in, it did stop the reaction before it got any worse than it did. Dcm was incredibly understanding and calm but I felt terrible. I was also very relieved the drop hadn't gone into her mouth. Who knows what would have happened if she had ingested the milk?!

I'm sorry it happened to you and that the parents were upset. I guess you can't blame them. Hopefully you'll get some ideas from everyone to help ensure it doesn't happen again. Try not to beat yourself up in the meantime.
flying_babyb 06:04 PM 09-23-2017
Originally Posted by amberleigh222:
. I definitely heard from the parents and will never be serving any acidic fruit to other children in his presence again. Has this ever happened to anyone? How does everyone else deal with food allergies?
We dont serve the allergen in the room or the allergy child sits at there own table (usually with a friend who dosent like the allergen). We have one girl allergic to cucumbers so she sits with our boy who has texture issues and wont eat them. I usually sit at the table with them too cause cucumbers are just gross lol. We have a child with a touch allergy and his allergen is not served on our side of the building.
Pestle 05:13 PM 09-24-2017
Define "severe." Are we talking anaphylaxis, or rash and sore throat? My kid has "severe" allergies and I've been carrying an autoinjector and policing all meals for four years now.

For allergies, I do not provide the food at all. For instance, I have two kids with egg allergies. Nothing with eggs gets served, at all, to anybody.

For intolerances, I provide a substitute for that child only. I have one kid with a dairy intolerance and one with respiratory allergies that are exacerbated by dairy. Both of those kids get soy milk here (parents provide a sealed carton at the beginning of the week) but the kids next to them at the table get cow's milk, cheese, etc.

Do you have their epinephrine autoinjector or diphenhydramine? Make sure that whatever the child is prescribed is also at the day care when the child is there, and that you have a signed medication form from the parents and a photocopy of the prescription.
Georgiads 08:26 PM 09-24-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Define "severe." Are we talking anaphylaxis, or rash and sore throat? My kid has "severe" allergies and I've been carrying an autoinjector and policing all meals for four years now.

For allergies, I do not provide the food at all. For instance, I have two kids with egg allergies. Nothing with eggs gets served, at all, to anybody.

For intolerances, I provide a substitute for that child only. I have one kid with a dairy intolerance and one with respiratory allergies that are exacerbated by dairy. Both of those kids get soy milk here (parents provide a sealed carton at the beginning of the week) but the kids next to them at the table get cow's milk, cheese, etc.

Do you have their epinephrine autoinjector or diphenhydramine? Make sure that whatever the child is prescribed is also at the day care when the child is there, and that you have a signed medication form from the parents and a photocopy of the prescription.

I've never had an intolerance or allergy among my group but I don't think I could take it on if I had to exclude the problem ingredient for everyone.

I hardly serve peanut butter, just because culturally it's not a food I grew up eating and I still worry about having a child with an allergy for the liability. I'm on my own in a home, I imagine it may be easier to deal with in a center.

I definitely could not exclude eggs though. I have a vegetarian, and my other kids love eggs!
daycarediva 10:46 AM 09-26-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:

THIS,

and make sure it's an actual allergy with documentation from a physician.

I do NOT take kids with severe allergic reactions to food I regularly serve. Not taking eggs off the menu!
Tags:allergies, allergies - dairy, allergies - fruit
Reply Up