Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Black Beans.....
Cat Herder 09:36 AM 02-21-2011
For the last few hours I have been playing around with some Black Beans DH brought home to use this weekend. I have not really cooked with them before since they do not grow locally and was expecting them to taste something similar to black eye peas....

I decided to add them to a pot of long grained rice mixed with cooked down black eyed peas (I added a bit of bacon for flavoring)..... It turned out so good!!!!

They taste similar to boiled peanuts and could be a HUGE protein source for the daycare since kids seem to instinctively LOVE peanut butter, I think...

Please, give me your black bean recipes....everything I look up has lots of cayenne or other hot peppers, Not toddler friendly

I have about 4 more pounds and they rock!!
DCMomOf3 10:04 AM 02-21-2011
I don't cook with them but my DH makes a mean black bean chili. That doesn't help you though.
Cat Herder 10:09 AM 02-21-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
I don't cook with them but my DH makes a mean black bean chili. That doesn't help you though.
I bet it would!! My DCK's LOVE red bean chili..... I serve it with yellow honey cornbread to "dull the burn"....

I could mild it down, too... Bring it on!!!
DCMomOf3 01:15 PM 02-21-2011
I know he has black beans, ground beef, diced tomatoes, bell peppers, white onion, tomato sauce, chili powder, cayenne pepper... I'll ask him tonight for what I missed since I don't see him add the rest. He serves it with rice sometimes too to cut the heat when he makes it really hot.
momatheart 03:29 PM 02-21-2011
go to allrecipes.com and look up black bean dip YUMMY
Cat Herder 05:11 PM 02-21-2011
I went there first, Momatheart...and Thank you! That is one of my favorite sites....been a member for a while.

They just did not have a wide variety of child friendly choices featuring these beans...rare for them, I know...

I was hoping some folks here maybe used them more often and had some old/easy recipes with few ingredients...
DCMomOf3 05:15 PM 02-21-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
I know he has black beans, ground beef, diced tomatoes, bell peppers, white onion, tomato sauce, chili powder, cayenne pepper... I'll ask him tonight for what I missed since I don't see him add the rest. He serves it with rice sometimes too to cut the heat when he makes it really hot.
He doesn't measure, so it's all by sight/taste but this is pretty much what he uses.

1 lb. ground beef
24 oz of soaked black beans
1 diced bell pepper
1/2 large white onion
12 oz. tomato sauce
2 1/2 diced tomatoes

to taste:

chili power
curry
cayenne pepper

optional:

cayenne sauce
garlic
celery
Cat Herder 05:22 PM 02-21-2011
Thanks, DCMomOf3

Simple enough ....DH is the chili whisperer, so I will put him on it this week
LindaMJ 08:02 PM 02-21-2011
Definitely go to allrecipes.com! It has many,many recipes for beans including Lentil Tacos and Black Bean & Salsa soup, among others. This is my favorite site! The Lentil Tacos are so delicious and I was Shocked! when I saw my PICKY eaters inhaling them. There are so many recipes on this site and I love it because of the reviews by other people (click on Most Helpful). Have Fun!
Cat Herder 03:22 AM 02-22-2011
Thanks LindaMJ! Will check their recipes out today...
My Daycare 05:34 AM 02-22-2011
Sounds yummy so I looked it up and found this one, but I haven't tried it.

Black Bean Soup

2.5 quarts water
Diced salt pork or other fat 1/2 cup????
3/4 cup ea. of carrots, onion, celery, & potatoes
1/4 garlic clove optional
small bay leaf
2 whole cloves
1.5 tsp salt
1/4 pepper
1 ham bone or shank
1/2 lb frankfurters optional
1 Tbsp Parsley chopped

After typing it, it does not seem very easy.
AfterSchoolMom 05:47 AM 02-22-2011
Black bean quesadillas, black beans w/ rice and cubed ham, or black bean soup...we have all of those in our regular dinner rotation. Yum!
GretasLittleFriends 07:57 AM 02-22-2011
I used this recipe off Kraft's website. I left out the onion and pepper because I didn't have any, and omitted the cilantro because I don't like it. I used whatever salsa we had on hand too. We also had lettuce available for topping.

1 medium red pepper, chopped
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained, rinsed
1 cup water
1/3 cup TACO BELLŪ HOME ORIGINALSŪ Thick 'N Chunky Salsa
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 cup instant brown rice, uncooked
8 flour tortillas, (6 inch)
3/4 cup KRAFT 2% Milk Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
Make It

COOK and stir peppers and onions in hot oil in large skillet on low heat for 5 minutes. Add beans, water, salsa and cumin; mix well. Bring to boil.

STIR in rice. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover. Cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir. Cover and let stand 5 minutes.

SPOON evenly onto tortillas; sprinkle with cheese and cilantro. Roll up.
broncomom1973 12:36 PM 02-22-2011
I use black beans in taco salad for my daycare kids. I have also used them in tacos. For the taco salad, I brown hamburger, heat up some black beans, break up tortilla chips and tear up lettuce. I put a little of all of it on each childs plate with some shredded cheese and sour cream and they love it. For the tacos, I mix the black beans in with the hamburger or place a layer of beans on top of the hamburger when I place the burger in the taco shell.
kidkair 11:46 AM 04-18-2011
I prepare the black beans and then mash them up a bit and cook them with hamburger as I'm browning it. Then I use the mix for anything I use ground hamburger for (spaghetti, tacos). The kids don't complain because they don't know they are there at all. I have also added fully cooked black beans to meat loaf and that's really good to. I also use light color beans and hide them with cooked chicken dishes.
Tags:black beans, black eye peas, recipe
Reply Up