Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>1 Month Old Does Not Sleep At Night
NillaWafers 12:28 PM 02-17-2016
So - I have my own 1 month old who absolutely does not sleep at night. I BF and he won't take a bottle, so DH cannot help. My husband has been home for the last six weeks filling in for me when I cannot get enough sleep to operate, however - he is going back to work monday!

I am so dreading this. My first kid typically comes in at 7, but can come in as early as 6:30. I am wondering how I'm going to be able to deal. Has anyone gone through this? Once this kid starts skipping a night feeding I know I will be feeling much better, but until then I've been a total zombie. I have been managing to plan activities and such but that is with hubby's help, without him I fear I'm going to be reduced to a blob of TV, snacks, and free play.

ETA: About the bottle - I am trying to get him to take one, but it's been really hard. First kid of mine that won't take that or a pacifier.
Thriftylady 12:35 PM 02-17-2016
Sounds tough! Will he take a bottle for hubby in the evenings if you are out of sight for hubby?
NillaWafers 12:38 PM 02-17-2016
He will sometimes take it for hubby. The only bottle he will even put in his mouth are the breastflow bottles, and they give him gas. I'm looking for an alternative. But if it's me, no way. I feel like if he even knows I'm around he won't take it.
Ariana 03:07 PM 02-17-2016
I had to "force" pacifiers on both my kids. Because they breastfed their tongue would push them back out but I would hold in it until they got the hang of it. I also only had success with Nuk brand pacifiers and bottles. They both would drink from a Nuk bottle but I didn't really push it too much on them since I was always availble for breastfeeding. I would just sit on the floor of the playroom and breastfeed whenever I needed to. Also feed as much as humanly possible during the day. Every hour if you can. That might help with sleeping at night.

I also wore my baby all day long pretty much. She would nap there and I would do everything for the dck with her on me.
NillaWafers 03:12 PM 02-17-2016
I've definitely been trying to hold the pacifier in, but it really just pisses him off. We have tried Tommee Tippee (what my last kid took), nuk (probably the best pacifier he's tried, sometimes I can get him to suck those), gumdrop, the soothies, avent. I should try the nuk bottles, that's what my first son used.

I have been mostly wearing him in the moby but I have a herniated disk and giant boobs haha, which makes the back pain super bad when wearing I can't wait to be able to use back carries.
Ariana 03:22 PM 02-17-2016
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
I've definitely been trying to hold the pacifier in, but it really just pisses him off. We have tried Tommee Tippee (what my last kid took), nuk (probably the best pacifier he's tried, sometimes I can get him to suck those), gumdrop, the soothies, avent. I should try the nuk bottles, that's what my first son used.

I have been mostly wearing him in the moby but I have a herniated disk and giant boobs haha, which makes the back pain super bad when wearing I can't wait to be able to use back carries.
Keep going with the Nuk. I think my kids were nearly 2 months before they started taking it regularly and if he has had any success I'd stick to that one. Do you have an exercise ball? I would usually wear my DD while bouncing on an exercise ball to give my back a break. I also found the Ergo to be the best for my back personally...I also have giant boobs! Lol. Is there a baby store in your area where you can rent carriers to try? That might be an option to see which works best for you. I tried the Moby, Snugli, Bjorn, various wraps and slings and the Ergo was by far the best. I can still wear my 3 year old in it comfortably! I walked around Disney with her in it. Got it second hand online.

With the Nuk bottle I found I had to sit baby up a bit to avoid gas and choking...of course my husband was the one feeding her and he would give her little sips which she tolerated.
mamamanda 03:29 PM 02-17-2016
My little ones neither one would take a bottle, but we didn't push very hard since I was at home with them and dh wasn't really that into it. A lot of people I've talked with tell me that they are much more likely to take it if mom is no where around. The first couple months are rough, but you will all fall into a good routine before you know it. What age group do you have?
I tend to expect a lot from myself and I've had to really work on scaling back this last year. It's ok if you don't have something elaborate or structured planned all the time. Free play is actually good for kids. And if you can just sit in the floor with them while they're playing and ask questions about their pretend play while letting them take the lead, I've found that toddlers and preschoolers alike seem to love that.
I have to remind myself often that everything is just a phase. My baby starting sleeping longer stretches about 3 weeks old and I felt pretty good. Then we went through a sleep regression and I felt like a walking zombie, but we made it. He went back to sleeping well again, only to be thrown off by back to back ear infections and sickness. Just got him back on track again and he got sick last week and I've literally been up with him 4-6 times every night for the last 5 nights. I'm so tired, but I keep reminding myself it won't last forever and I will sleep again. Hopefully!
Nap when you can. Would dh be willing to take baby and let you catch an hour of sleep after daycare and before eating dinner in the evenings? I hope baby starts sleeping well for you soon!
You've got this. You might not feel like it now, but it will get better, you will become more confident, and baby will sleep well eventually.
NillaWafers 03:57 PM 02-17-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Keep going with the Nuk. I think my kids were nearly 2 months before they started taking it regularly and if he has had any success I'd stick to that one. Do you have an exercise ball? I would usually wear my DD while bouncing on an exercise ball to give my back a break. I also found the Ergo to be the best for my back personally...I also have giant boobs! Lol. Is there a baby store in your area where you can rent carriers to try? That might be an option to see which works best for you. I tried the Moby, Snugli, Bjorn, various wraps and slings and the Ergo was by far the best. I can still wear my 3 year old in it comfortably! I walked around Disney with her in it. Got it second hand online.

With the Nuk bottle I found I had to sit baby up a bit to avoid gas and choking...of course my husband was the one feeding her and he would give her little sips which she tolerated.
I have an ergo too, I love it for back carrying and my 3 year old still (barely) fits it. I actually considered getting a toddler tula for him haha. I am gonna buy a few nuk bottles and try them. The breastflow is ok but has no venting system. Also I had a giant oversupply and my flow is super fast so I think he's used to that, I wonder if I tried a faster nipple if that might help.

Originally Posted by :
It's ok if you don't have something elaborate or structured planned all the time. Free play is actually good for kids. And if you can just sit in the floor with them while they're playing and ask questions about their pretend play while letting them take the lead, I've found that toddlers and preschoolers alike seem to love that.

I have to constantly remind myself this I think. I resorted to a lot of free play while I was pregnant and recovering from my c-section (the last 2ish weeks). I just feel like I want my parents to feel like they're getting what they're paying for, I advertise as being play-based and weekly themes and when I can't deliver I feel bad.

PS - I have 2 - 3 year olds, a 4 year old, and a 5 year old.

DS is 6 weeks this Saturday and no sign of skipping feedings yet haha. I think all of my kids had started to skip by now - but not this one!
Lovisa 07:49 PM 02-17-2016
I didn't do daycare when my youngest was born, but I was a stay at home mom to a 4 year old and a 17 month old when she was born. She was also breastfed and never took a bottle or binky the whole almost 3 years that she nursed. She also didn't sleep through the night for almost 2 years! Plus I did college full time online. I was definitely a zombie lol. Somehow I got through it although I have no idea how. One day at a time I guess!

I suggest lots of free play time. Nothing too structured or stressful. And try to catch up on some sleep on the weekends! Hang in there!
Controlled Chaos 12:25 PM 02-18-2016
Hey lady, hang in there! Its so hard! But you will get through this phase. Parents know you just had a baby. When I went back to daycare after my 3rd, I was watching 7 kids including my 3. I felt I needed to keep doing projects, but the parents were honestly impressed I could keep everyone alive, fed and napped those first few months. I did try to do one "project" to send home a week. But it took a few months. Sorry your back hurts I used a moby wrap a lot, but not helpful to you. Be kind to yourself. Free play is awesome.

NillaWafers 09:23 PM 02-18-2016
He started actually sucking a Nuk binky today without a ton of cajoling, so I'm feeling hopeful the Nuk bottles I bought will be winners! That paired with actually getting a tax return has made my day
NillaWafers 04:42 PM 02-19-2016
And he took the Nuk bottle. Ariana is my hero. I never actually thought to try them, even though he moderately likes the binkies. I feel free! haha.

Seriously considering forcing hubby to do the 11pm feeding
Tags:daycare environment, infant environment, infants
Reply Up