Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Keeping Preschool Toys Separated From the Toddlers...
TaylorTots 02:48 PM 09-25-2019
I have a lot more space in our new home and am starting to buy toys to reopen (I love buying toys. I think a part of me is still a kid). Anyway, preschool is easy - before daycare I was a PreK and Kinder teacher. Toddlers are a bit tougher.

Here's my thoughts.
I have two main rooms + most of the kitchen that we are dedicating as a daycare rooms. One of the rooms will be the playroom. It connects to the kitchen with a very open floor plan. DH is building a built in gate between this playroom and our large eat in kitchen. I want to add a few preschool only things that my 2.5+ kids can have access to so my plan is to put a preschool area in the eat in section of the kitchen (again, this is not a shared area of our home - daycare only) the daycare eating table, highchair storage, all basic craft supplies, add a few custom built shelving units and a book area -- just for preschoolers. As long as the toys are not accessible at any time to infants/toddlers do you think this is fine? Does anyone else do something similar?
rosieteddy 08:09 AM 09-26-2019
I think it sounds awesome.Will you be able to see the preschool age children?I would expect the infant toddler group to be envious and possible stand at gate watching and whining though.Still nice to be able to let preschoolers have the freedom.
Ariana 10:48 AM 09-26-2019
I did something similar a few years ago. I had a large open space but created a preschool only area using low book shelves. The preschoolers could access the area by pushing in a toy bin, crawling through and putting the bin back in the space. The toddlers couldn’t do that so the areas were completely separate and the preschoolers thought it was their secret hideout! I could easily see inside the area and hand in art stuff or toys etc, whatever they needed. It was great, especially because they didn’t have to put the toys away at the end of the day and could resume their play the next day. I didn’t have any issues with toddlers wanting to be in there because they couldn’t see over the bookcase and I made an extra effort to hang out on the floor one on one with them which they loved.
DaveA 11:16 AM 09-26-2019
Sounds like a good plan.
Annalee 11:24 AM 09-26-2019
Originally Posted by TaylorTots:
I have a lot more space in our new home and am starting to buy toys to reopen (I love buying toys. I think a part of me is still a kid). Anyway, preschool is easy - before daycare I was a PreK and Kinder teacher. Toddlers are a bit tougher.

Here's my thoughts.
I have two main rooms + most of the kitchen that we are dedicating as a daycare rooms. One of the rooms will be the playroom. It connects to the kitchen with a very open floor plan. DH is building a built in gate between this playroom and our large eat in kitchen. I want to add a few preschool only things that my 2.5+ kids can have access to so my plan is to put a preschool area in the eat in section of the kitchen (again, this is not a shared area of our home - daycare only) the daycare eating table, highchair storage, all basic craft supplies, add a few custom built shelving units and a book area -- just for preschoolers. As long as the toys are not accessible at any time to infants/toddlers do you think this is fine? Does anyone else do something similar?
My setup is very similar. I have one large room, though, and my preschool tables and manipulatives, art, is set up where the children eat beside the small kitchen. Most table toys do not have lids but I do have some smaller manipulatives in containers with lids and teach the older kids these materials are specifically to be used as table toys to keep the babies safe from placing small materials in their mouth.

I like your ideas! Good luck!
TaylorTots 01:51 PM 09-26-2019
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I think it sounds awesome.Will you be able to see the preschool age children?I would expect the infant toddler group to be envious and possible stand at gate watching and whining though.Still nice to be able to let preschoolers have the freedom.
Yes. It's an open floor layout. I have less constant visual contact on the school agers if they are playing legos or board games in the other daycare room but can still easily hear them, which is what our state requires.

They may whine and be envious. That's ok with me. I can work through them through that I just don't want them to have free access to the 2/3+ year smaller piece toys, markers, etc.
TaylorTots 01:52 PM 09-26-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I did something similar a few years ago. I had a large open space but created a preschool only area using low book shelves. The preschoolers could access the area by pushing in a toy bin, crawling through and putting the bin back in the space. The toddlers couldn’t do that so the areas were completely separate and the preschoolers thought it was their secret hideout! I could easily see inside the area and hand in art stuff or toys etc, whatever they needed. It was great, especially because they didn’t have to put the toys away at the end of the day and could resume their play the next day. I didn’t have any issues with toddlers wanting to be in there because they couldn’t see over the bookcase and I made an extra effort to hang out on the floor one on one with them which they loved.
Great feedback! Thank you!
TaylorTots 01:53 PM 09-26-2019
Originally Posted by Annalee:
My setup is very similar. I have one large room, though, and my preschool tables and manipulatives, art, is set up where the children eat beside the small kitchen. Most table toys do not have lids but I do have some smaller manipulatives in containers with lids and teach the older kids these materials are specifically to be used as table toys to keep the babies safe from placing small materials in their mouth.

I like your ideas! Good luck!
Lids! Great addition. I could definitely add lids to their bins so that they aren't as accessible as well when not in use. Thanks!!
Tags:toys age appropriate
Reply Up