Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dropping off early
J's 05:53 AM 02-01-2012
Hello

I have had 3 families lately dropping off 5-10 minutes before their contracted time, What is your policy on dropping off early? Thank You!
SunshineMama 06:24 AM 02-01-2012
I recently had this issue. I wrote the parents a letter and provided them with an updated contract with higher fees to reflect their new hours, and set them 10 minutes early. No one wanted to sign the new contract, and no one has been early since
Zoe 06:26 AM 02-01-2012
I say something about it the first time it happens. Maybe not 5 minutes early, but definitely more than 10. Then it doesn't happen again. I'm nice about it, but I make it clear that I'm not too thrilled (nor am I ready) to open that early.
Crazy8 06:30 AM 02-01-2012
My door is not open till my first arrival is due (7:30) and I won't open it early. If people are contracted after that time and come a little early (like my 9am boy comes at 8:45) I don't mind too much.
cheerfuldom 06:51 AM 02-01-2012
Start charging early fees. $1 a minute should do it, it adds up fast.
momofboys 07:05 AM 02-01-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
I recently had this issue. I wrote the parents a letter and provided them with an updated contract with higher fees to reflect their new hours, and set them 10 minutes early. No one wanted to sign the new contract, and no one has been early since

I like this! Or let parents know you are not "open" until your porch light is on or some other indication. Convey that knocking on the door does not mean you will open early. Good luck!
wdmmom 07:36 AM 02-01-2012
I allow 5 minutes before the designated drop off or it's $1.00 per minute. Families know if my light is not on and the curtains aren't open, I'm not open yet.

I sent out a reminder to my families last week that indicated open and close times and the policy for dropping off early and picking up late.

One parent just had a question, the other changed their arrival and departure time by 10 minutes.
Meyou 07:54 AM 02-01-2012
I don't open the door, the playroom curtains or turn on the light until 7:30.
SunshineMama 08:14 AM 02-01-2012
Originally Posted by Zoe:
I say something about it the first time it happens. Maybe not 5 minutes early, but definitely more than 10. Then it doesn't happen again. I'm nice about it, but I make it clear that I'm not too thrilled (nor am I ready) to open that early.
I always say something first too, but I had to end up giving them a written letter and new contract because they kept coming earlier and earlier. Sigh.
Breezy 08:14 AM 02-01-2012
5 minutes early max!! I went to turn on my porch light this morning to indicate I was open and it was burnt out!!! Felt so bad.
SandeeAR 10:38 AM 02-01-2012
I don't do early drop offs. Parents are told at interview, until my mini blinds in the front window are open, I'm NOT open. I've had them waiting in my driveway a few times, but not many. Most drive up at 7:30 or 7:40.
renodeb 10:53 AM 02-01-2012
I like sunshines idea, what a great deterent! Lock your front door and dont answer it until your actually open. I used to have a mom who would get here and then wait in her car until exactly 7am every morning so I never even turned my lights on or unlocked until then. I had one family walk in atleast 30 minutes early and my house was still dark. They just stood there. Scared me to death, my hair was still wrapped in a towel when I came out to see what was up. They got the hint. The kicker is that they didnt even have a real reason for the early drop off, they just wanted to get rid of the baby! ( I think hubby had unlocked the door to get the paper and didnt lock again).
Debbie
sariejohnston 11:23 AM 02-01-2012
i work in a center and by law we can't open up until 7:30 every morning, so we keep the doors locked up until the time we open so no one can do that, although we have had some parents come early and wait, thats fine but we don't open the door up until 7:30 every morning...
Reply Up