Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Runny Nose only in the Morning?
Country Kids 07:58 AM 06-15-2012
What would make a childs nose run constantly and I mean constantly in only the morning. From arrival to naptime, it is a flowing river where I go through tissues, wipes, napkins anything I can grab depending where we are. From naptime to pickup no runny nose!!! I can't for the life figure out why. Any ideas?
Blackcat31 08:12 AM 06-15-2012
Allergies? I am NOT experienced with allergies at all but I do know I feel stuff sometimes in the morning and then feel totally different in the afternoons.

I know the humidity and things like barometric pressure(?) and stuff changes from morning to afternoon and again in the evenings..... (you'd have to ask Silver about the weather stuff as she is the weather geek ) but that is the closest guess I have.

(oh, and I assumed you meant this question to be a separate thread?...hope so, because I did move it. )
Fruitloops1 10:13 AM 06-15-2012
I assume allergies too. My nose is stuffy and runny in the mornings too. Its better now that I sleep with an air purifier at night. Maybe the parents can try that?
Lilbutterflie 10:23 AM 06-15-2012
Me and my kids both have allergies, and the symptoms are much worse during the morning hours. Is the discharge clear? I would assume allergies also.
Countrygal 10:24 AM 06-15-2012
If it is clear, I would definitely suspect allergies.

Both dgs and I suffer from allergies. It is always worse in the mornings as sinuses clear out from laying down all night. Hypo-allergenic sleep material, such as mattress and pillow covers may help, depending upon what's causing the allergy.
Country Kids 11:08 AM 06-15-2012
Thats the thing-sometimes clear, sometimes green/yellow. Always very,very thick. Wipes it all over the face because it runs sooooo fast. It goes in the hair, the cheeks, eyebrows, etc.
Meyou 11:09 AM 06-15-2012
I agree with the others. I've been stuffy in the morning from allergies since I was a child but I'm fine from midmorning on unless I get into something or the pollen is bad.
familyschoolcare 11:21 AM 06-15-2012
I think allergies like the others ask iit happens at home on the wekends or at home at night. Child could be allegic to the smell of the car. Once you are no

longer in contact with what is making the allergy act up and it clearyour system you are fine.
Lilbutterflie 12:32 PM 06-15-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Thats the thing-sometimes clear, sometimes green/yellow. Always very,very thick. Wipes it all over the face because it runs sooooo fast. It goes in the hair, the cheeks, eyebrows, etc.
I have had allergies all of my life, and now my kids too; and we have NEVER had yellow or green snot unless we were sick. IMHO, allergies do not cause yellow or green snot. So, my guess is that when it's clear & only in the mornings- allergies. When it's yellow or green & possibly all day- sick.
Country Kids 12:46 PM 06-15-2012
When its yellow/green its also only in the morning. Its not consecutive days either. Its been going for like two months but one day it may be yellow/green, then three days clear, then 3 days yellow/green, then back to clear, etc. Theres just no consecutive pattern to the color.
e.j. 01:14 PM 06-15-2012
From what I've read, allergies and sinusitis can go hand-in-hand. Both my son and I have allergies and our noses run constantly in the morning. It gets better during the day. I haven't experienced anything but a clear discharge but my son says he has noticed a yellow/green discharge on some mornings but not all. It does clear up as the day goes on.
SunshineMama 01:40 PM 06-15-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
What would make a childs nose run constantly and I mean constantly in only the morning. From arrival to naptime, it is a flowing river where I go through tissues, wipes, napkins anything I can grab depending where we are. From naptime to pickup no runny nose!!! I can't for the life figure out why. Any ideas?
My guess would be that the child has allergies, and when thu sleep and lay down the mucus gets congested. When they are up and about gravity probably drains the sinuses. Just my guess tho.
Michael 02:17 PM 06-15-2012
I suspect the child being allergic to something at their home before they come over tp daycare. Once at your place they are no longer affected by it and it wears off.
Countrygal 03:20 PM 06-15-2012
Originally Posted by e.j.:
From what I've read, allergies and sinusitis can go hand-in-hand. Both my son and I have allergies and our noses run constantly in the morning. It gets better during the day. I haven't experienced anything but a clear discharge but my son says he has noticed a yellow/green discharge on some mornings but not all. It does clear up as the day goes on.
Both dgs and I sometimes have the yellow-green discharge. I believe this actually come from a slight build-up and infection in the sinuses from the allergies. Gets worse when allergies are worse.

You might like to talk about it with the parents who might want to pursue some investigation as to what the child might be allergic to.
Tags:runny nose
Reply Up