Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Just wondering
Unregistered 01:04 PM 11-24-2008
My daycare is closed thursday and friday for the thanksgiving holiday. I put in notice 2 wks. prior to this stating my daughter would be gone not realizing they were closed both days. So I called to find out what my payment would be for the week. My provider said I had to pay the full time rate because my daughter has no vacation days since the policy changed 2 mths after my daughter started. OK - fine, but why do I have to pay for those 2 days when the center is closed. I did not choose to close the facility. I mean I understand if there was no notice of my child being gone or if the center planned for my child being there, but why should we have to pay for 2 days that the center is closed. Its ridiculous. I mean the employees get the break from the service, but we as customer's do not get a break from paying even thought the center is closed not to mention I gave notice. It just doesn't make sense. Could someone enlighten me?
kidcentric 03:30 PM 11-24-2008
Typically a child care program will determine their annual fee and simply divide by 12, 26 or 52, depending on how frequently they will collect fees--monthly, bi-weekly or weekly. This allows them to discount however they feel appropriate for days they will be closed or closing early throughout the year, but makes the fee collection so much simpler as they are collecting the same amount for each period.
Ms.Sue 04:37 PM 11-24-2008
The major issue is, running a daycare can be very expensive and most parents have no idea what daycares have to pay. Such as bills, foods, snacks, preschool supplies, payroll and tax wages, (includes social security and medicare, etc....) and an unbelievable amount of daycare insurance.....

If she only charged people that attended specific days - she would not have a budget to work with - and this would mean a total loss in quality to the daycare and services to your child. You are basically paying for a 5 day daycare slot.

Here - turn the sitution around== You tell her - your child will be out for 4 days because you are going on vacation - THEN at the last minute - your vacation is cancalled ---- you show up at daycare ---- And she tell you - sorry -I've already filled your 4 days with another child - now you have NO daycare ----- you would be mad!!!

But, because you pay for a weekly slot - it's yours to use as YOU need it - and she doesn't not backfill it with other chldren.

Here another way to look at it :
Do you call Ford and say - I didn't drive my car all week - so I shouldn't have to pay for those days......... see??? oh, plus the fact that she still has to pay her employee's holiday pay......
It is just a fact of business. I hope this helps.
Unregistered 09:21 AM 11-25-2008
Originally Posted by Ms.Sue:
The major issue is, running a daycare can be very expensive and most parents have no idea what daycares have to pay. Such as bills, foods, snacks, preschool supplies, payroll and tax wages, (includes social security and medicare, etc....) and an unbelievable amount of daycare insurance.....

If she only charged people that attended specific days - she would not have a budget to work with - and this would mean a total loss in quality to the daycare and services to your child. You are basically paying for a 5 day daycare slot.

Here - turn the sitution around== You tell her - your child will be out for 4 days because you are going on vacation - THEN at the last minute - your vacation is cancalled ---- you show up at daycare ---- And she tell you - sorry -I've already filled your 4 days with another child - now you have NO daycare ----- you would be mad!!!

But, because you pay for a weekly slot - it's yours to use as YOU need it - and she doesn't not backfill it with other chldren.

Here another way to look at it :
Do you call Ford and say - I didn't drive my car all week - so I shouldn't have to pay for those days......... see??? oh, plus the fact that she still has to pay her employee's holiday pay......
It is just a fact of business. I hope this helps.
I don't think i could have put it any better myself. I too am closed and i do charge the full week. Have too if your children want to eat the week after!! I'm a private daycare and do not particpate in the food program.
Reply Up