Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Training
MrsSteinel'sHouse 12:24 AM 10-06-2013
OK, I have finally found a training that I LOVE
It was actually a 5 month training commitment and I am so glad that I did it! We just had the 2nd month yesterday. I have so many ideas. So many things that I hadn't thought about doing with the kids.
I will try to share them with you over time but the BIG THING that I came home with yesterday was having your kids "plan their day" In the video we watched the "teacher" (It was a preschool) had the kids tell her what they wanted to play with to start. They were in a small group and she went around and asked each one where they wanted to be and what they thought they would do there etc. I have a vision for this with my older kids... I think I am going to start tomorrow with having the kids help me plan the playroom. What they would like to see. (I have already messaged a parent to see if they would build me a "stage" since I have seen this type of play lately happening)
This is a literacy training. I am amazed by this woman! We will see where it transforms my world to
Blackcat31 07:23 AM 10-06-2013
This is how I run my program. I am child-led. We have discussion time 3-5 mornings a week.

The kids tell me what things they want to do, learn about and participate in.

Based on their interests, we plan our day (together). As far as planning and having the necessary supplies handy....well you just have certain things on hand at all times and after a while there are very few activities/projects the kids can come up that you aren't prepared for.

Our daily schedule varies each year depending on the current group I have and what works best for them. The only non-negotiable activities/times are meals/snacks and rest time...everything else is up to them.

I feel my kids are much happier, play deeper and learn just as much, if not more than classrooms that use consistent schedules and monotonous routines day in and day out.
JoseyJo 01:05 PM 10-06-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This is how I run my program. I am child-led. We have discussion time 3-5 mornings a week.

The kids tell me what things they want to do, learn about and participate in.

Based on their interests, we plan our day (together). As far as planning and having the necessary supplies handy....well you just have certain things on hand at all times and after a while there are very few activities/projects the kids can come up that you aren't prepared for.

Our daily schedule varies each year depending on the current group I have and what works best for them. The only non-negotiable activities/times are meals/snacks and rest time...everything else is up to them.

I feel my kids are much happier, play deeper and learn just as much, if not more than classrooms that use consistent schedules and monotonous routines day in and day out.
I love this!!
Laurel 01:09 PM 10-06-2013
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
OK, I have finally found a training that I LOVE
It was actually a 5 month training commitment and I am so glad that I did it! We just had the 2nd month yesterday. I have so many ideas. So many things that I hadn't thought about doing with the kids.
I will try to share them with you over time but the BIG THING that I came home with yesterday was having your kids "plan their day" In the video we watched the "teacher" (It was a preschool) had the kids tell her what they wanted to play with to start. They were in a small group and she went around and asked each one where they wanted to be and what they thought they would do there etc. I have a vision for this with my older kids... I think I am going to start tomorrow with having the kids help me plan the playroom. What they would like to see. (I have already messaged a parent to see if they would build me a "stage" since I have seen this type of play lately happening)
This is a literacy training. I am amazed by this woman! We will see where it transforms my world to
Thanks for sharing! It sounds like a neat training.

Each week I have mine pick out which toys to bring out to the playroom. They also pick the books and puzzles and whatever else they drag out. They also fill up a plastic shoe box size of infant toys for the baby

I try to focus in on what they seem to be interested in. For example, the other day one was fascinated by a ribbon blowing in the wind that I have attached to the stroller. So later we attached two ribbons to a straw with a stapler and took a walk so they could watch the ribbons blow.

I don't do any formal circle time or curriculum because I like to follow their interests. I think we all learn best by studying what we are interested in.

When I worked in a Montessori preschool the teachers sat and watched and wrote down every day what each child showed interest in. That was just part of the day.

Laurel
Tags:training
Reply Up